Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Lubricate with regular oil or WD-40

In article ,
wrote:

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 00:01:42 -0500, "Steve Barker DLT"
wrote:

well, water lubricates also....... If you're a water pump seal. as for
wd-40, it's not a lubricant.

Incorrect, and easily disproved with a practical application test.
Take a pair of pliers that are stuck in one position from rust and
non-use. Spray the hinge with WD-40, which is a penetrating lubricant.
work the pliers open and closed. They will get easier and easier to
manipulate as the lubricant penetrates.

Just because a lubricant isn't like molasses doesn't mean it is not a
lubricant.

I'm with the dog on this one. I don't know why people love to trash
WD-40 so much. I've used it with tremendous success on many, many
applications over more years than I want to count, and the stuff works.
Not just sort of works, but really works. Better than advertised, IMO.