Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Lubricate with regular oil or WD-40

On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 18:02:42 -0500, "Steve Barker DLT"

#1. since when does wd-40 not collect dust?

We agree here- I think it attacts as much dust as any other lubricant.

#2. WD-40 is not a lubricant. so the two are not interchangeable

Yes it is. Though there seem to be a lot of folks in cyberspace who
say it isn't- and even claim that the manufacturer says it isn't.

From
http://www.wd40.com/faqs/#q7

What does WD-40 do?
WD-40 fulfills five basic functions:
1. CLEANS: WD-40 gets under dirt, grime and grease to clean. It also
dissolves adhesives, allowing easy removal of labels, tape and excess
bonding material.
2. DISPLACES MOISTU Because WD-40 displaces moisture, it quickly
dries out electrical systems to eliminate moisture-induced short
circuits.
3. PENETRATES: WD-40 loosens rust-to-metal bonds and frees stuck,
frozen or rusted metal parts.
4. LUBRICATES: WD-40's lubricating ingredients are widely dispersed
and tenaciously held to all moving parts.
5. PROTECTS: WD-40 protects metal surfaces with corrosion-resistant
ingredients to shield against moisture and other corrosive elements.

Whether it is the best lubricant/cleaner/protector/penetrator is
certainly open to discussion. [I like it best for displacing water,
myself- but I have used it for all of the above from time to time]
*What* you intend to lubricate, and the atmosphere around it will
determine if WD40 is a good choice.

Jim