Posted to alt.home.repair

Default paint problem

I just finished a painting project on some old plaster that was
patched and restored. It turned out fine. However, there are a few
areas that look like they could have been sanded a little better. The
areas look rough, and if the light hits it right, it really sticks
out. I did two coats. Is there a way to hide the coarse texture? Or,
is that just the way it will look no matter how many coats goes on? I
was thinking of slapping some paint with a brush and work it in, and
then back roll it with a dry roller. The lady of the house says she
can live with it.. it is just that one area is at eye level with I go
up and down the steps and it sort of bothers me..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 13:17:18 -0700 (PDT), Chris
wrote:

I just finished a painting project on some old plaster that was
patched and restored. It turned out fine. However, there are a few
areas that look like they could have been sanded a little better. The
areas look rough, and if the light hits it right, it really sticks
out. I did two coats. Is there a way to hide the coarse texture? Or,
is that just the way it will look no matter how many coats goes on? I
was thinking of slapping some paint with a brush and work it in, and
then back roll it with a dry roller. The lady of the house says she
can live with it.. it is just that one area is at eye level with I go
up and down the steps and it sort of bothers me..

Howdy,

I would let it dry completely, then sand the area down to
the plaster, and repaint.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Chris" wrote in message
I just finished a painting project on some old plaster that was
patched and restored. It turned out fine. However, there are a few
areas that look like they could have been sanded a little better. The
areas look rough, and if the light hits it right, it really sticks
out. I did two coats. Is there a way to hide the coarse texture? Or,
is that just the way it will look no matter how many coats goes on? I
was thinking of slapping some paint with a brush and work it in, and
then back roll it with a dry roller. The lady of the house says she
can live with it.. it is just that one area is at eye level with I go
up and down the steps and it sort of bothers me..

About 10 or 15 coats will do it. Or just take the time to sand it smooth and
put two coats over it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Chris wrote:

The lady of the house says she can live with it.

Do you really need to know anything more than this?

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I just finished a painting project on some old plaster that was
patched and restored. It turned out fine. However, there are a few
areas that look like they could have been sanded a little better. The
areas look rough, and if the light hits it right, it really sticks
out. I did two coats. Is there a way to hide the coarse texture? Or,
is that just the way it will look no matter how many coats goes on? I
was thinking of slapping some paint with a brush and work it in, and
then back roll it with a dry roller. The lady of the house says she
can live with it.. it is just that one area is at eye level with I go
up and down the steps and it sort of bothers me..

It may need spackling. A nice painter's trick is to hold a lamp/work
light against the wall and view at a low angle. An excellent paint
job starts with a lot of preparation and re-inspections. A gloss
paint needs more fuss.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 12, 4:17*pm, Chris wrote:
I just finished a painting project on some old plaster that was
patched and restored. It turned out fine. However, there are a few
areas that look like they could have been sanded a little better. The
areas look rough, and if the light hits it right, it really sticks
out. I did two coats. Is there a way to hide the coarse texture? Or,
is that just the way it will look no matter how many coats goes on? I
was thinking of slapping some paint with a brush and work it in, and
then back roll it with a dry roller. The lady of the house says she
can live with it.. it is just that one area is at eye level with I go
up and down the steps and it sort of bothers me..

Hang a picture over it. g
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 03:49:00 +0000 (UTC), "SteveBell"
wrote:

Chris wrote:

The lady of the house says she can live with it.

Do you really need to know anything more than this?

The man is a perfectionist and just as I take pride in the work I do,
so does he. If I only installed 95% of the screws back when working on
a car, well you know the rest.

Posted to alt.home.repair

speaking about that-- there was a little area of a corner that I
missed with the second coat, and I can see it from the bottom of the
stairs.. damn.. gotta get out the extention ladder again!

paint problem- mismatch trailer[_2_] Home Repair 6 September 4th 08 02:36 PM
Odd latex paint problem...? Kenneth Home Repair 10 August 1st 08 04:52 AM
Paint Problem Leo Home Repair 5 February 8th 05 12:01 PM
Paint problem A.T. UK diy 4 July 31st 03 12:11 AM
Paint Problem BigWallop UK diy 0 July 5th 03 10:29 PM