Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Odd latex paint problem...?

Howdy,

Our home is 6 years old.

The interior is painted with latex over skim coat plaster.

In one room, I am in the habit of sitting up in bed while
typing on my laptop (like right now) while leaning back
against the wall.

Earlier today, I noticed that the paint had deteriorated in
the "leaning" area.

There is no visible difference, but if I run my hand along
the surface, the paint feels "dry" and smooth until I reach
the "leaning" zone.

There, it feels very slightly "tacky" and if I touch it with
my fingernail, the paint is extremely soft, and peels off in
small areas. The material that peels off is "rubbery" in
texture.

Of course, I would love to know what might have caused this
problem, but even more important than that is the issue of
preparation for a re-coat.

What might be an appropriate way to remove the defective
paint? Also, what sort of prep (if any) might be needed to
avoid a repeat of the problem.

Thanks for any help,
--
Kenneth

Kenneth

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kenneth" wrote in message

[...]

Are you leaning without a pillow? If so, the problem may have been caused by
the oil from your skin, or perspiration.

What brand of paint did you use? For how many days did you let it dry before
leaning on the wall?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 21:17:05 -0400, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Kenneth" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

I do not have information about the brand handy...

The paint dried for more than five years before any leaning.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kenneth" wrote in message
On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 21:17:05 -0400, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Kenneth" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Stop back when you have that information.

Posted to alt.home.repair

My guess is that the walls were not primed first. The moisture from your
body has caused the paint to loosen. There is no easy way around this. If
the paint on the rest of the wall is still firm I would only stripping away
the bad patch and sanding a little bit further beyond that beyond that area,
applying a good primer then repaint the entire wall. Then get a headboard
:-)

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jul 29, 7:33*pm, Kenneth wrote:
[...]

The paint resin has softened from skin oils. This one of the reasons
that people use headboards in the bedroom. In bedrooms used for many
years without headboards, you can find similar effects in old
wallpaper where the occupant's pillow rested.
The area of concern may never refinish properly without aggressive
treatment with a strong solvent. Methylene chloride based paint
removers might get the job done as a first try of commercially
available materials. Follow directions, as always.
To avoid the problem in the future, put up a head board or other wall
protection furniture. HTH

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message
[...]

===========

Or even a large pillow, which worked for me for 20 years. Tricky technology,
though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Either get a headboard or completely strip the paint and repaint with
oil based paints. Be prepared for some serious sticker shock on the
paint thinner though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 11:22:56 -0700 (PDT), Joe
wrote:

[...]

Hey Joe,

I appreciate your comments. The prep info was just what I
was after.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 14:38:46 -0400, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Joe" wrote in message
[...]

Hi again Joe,

One more question:

It had been suggested to me that I swab the area with
alcohol, and though that might not have solved the problem,
it did make a difference in a positive way.

I wondered about sanding off the defective area and then
painting it with a wash coat of shellac.

Would that seal things well enough to avoid trouble when
recoating the area with latex?

Thanks again,
--
Kenneth

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message
[...]

Repeated swabbing with denatured (very dry) alcohol should work pretty
well. Chlorinated solvents are better for dissolving fatty acid
compounds as present in skin oils. However, choose the route that
seems most reasonable for you. Shellac is, indeed, a good stain
blocker. It is the secret ingredient in Kilz and Zinnser's well
regarded primers. Most serious woodworkers keep old fashioned finish
materials like shellac, linseed oil, and tung oil handy in the shop
because of their usefulness in fine finishes. Those of us with
impossibly long lists of unfinished projects tend to drag out the HVLP
rig and aqueous polyurethanes trying to catch up...but I digress.
Cheers,

Joe