Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff[_3_] Jeff[_3_] is offline

Default Odd latex paint problem...?

My guess is that the walls were not primed first. The moisture from your
body has caused the paint to loosen. There is no easy way around this. If
the paint on the rest of the wall is still firm I would only stripping away
the bad patch and sanding a little bit further beyond that beyond that area,
applying a good primer then repaint the entire wall. Then get a headboard
:-)

"Kenneth" wrote in message

Howdy,

Our home is 6 years old.

The interior is painted with latex over skim coat plaster.

In one room, I am in the habit of sitting up in bed while
typing on my laptop (like right now) while leaning back
against the wall.

Earlier today, I noticed that the paint had deteriorated in
the "leaning" area.

There is no visible difference, but if I run my hand along
the surface, the paint feels "dry" and smooth until I reach
the "leaning" zone.

There, it feels very slightly "tacky" and if I touch it with
my fingernail, the paint is extremely soft, and peels off in
small areas. The material that peels off is "rubbery" in
texture.

Of course, I would love to know what might have caused this
problem, but even more important than that is the issue of
preparation for a re-coat.

What might be an appropriate way to remove the defective
paint? Also, what sort of prep (if any) might be needed to
avoid a repeat of the problem.

Thanks for any help,
--
Kenneth