Posted to alt.home.repair
Kenneth Kenneth is offline

Default Odd latex paint problem...?

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 21:17:05 -0400, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Kenneth" wrote in message
.. .

Howdy,

Our home is 6 years old.

The interior is painted with latex over skim coat plaster.

In one room, I am in the habit of sitting up in bed while
typing on my laptop (like right now) while leaning back
against the wall.

Earlier today, I noticed that the paint had deteriorated in
the "leaning" area.

There is no visible difference, but if I run my hand along
the surface, the paint feels "dry" and smooth until I reach
the "leaning" zone.

There, it feels very slightly "tacky" and if I touch it with
my fingernail, the paint is extremely soft, and peels off in
small areas. The material that peels off is "rubbery" in
texture.

Of course, I would love to know what might have caused this
problem, but even more important than that is the issue of
preparation for a re-coat.

What might be an appropriate way to remove the defective
paint? Also, what sort of prep (if any) might be needed to
avoid a repeat of the problem.

Thanks for any help,
--
Kenneth

Are you leaning without a pillow? If so, the problem may have been caused by
the oil from your skin, or perspiration.

What brand of paint did you use? For how many days did you let it dry before
leaning on the wall?

Howdy,

I do not have information about the brand handy...

The paint dried for more than five years before any leaning.

All the best,
--
Kenneth