Leo

Default Paint Problem

I removed wall paper from a 'plaster board' wall. (I think it's called
plaster board, It's a thin coat of plaster over a hard rock like board -
not the old wood lathes though) The home was built in the early 70's.

Anyway, I removed the wall paper. The wall below was never painted. I
patched some holes and lightly sanded the entire wall.

I then painted the wall with a Behr Primer and let it set for two days. I
then taped off some squares in the field of the wall to paint some
decorative squares (its a kids room... ask my wife). Well, you can probably
guess where this is going. The tape is pulling the primer off the wall.
Help. What did I do wrong?

It only pulled off in some areas. In the areas that it did peel I can pull
off peices of paint several inches long and wide. Before priming I did wipe
down the wall to get the dust off.

Also, The wall surface is very smooth.

How do I fix this mess. I assume I need to scrape off anything that will
come down but then what? How can I be sure the next primer coat will adhere
properly

thanks

m Ransley

What tape was used, blue painters tape ? you need to let paint cure.

Leo

I let it cure longer than specified on the instructions and also used the
Blue tape.

"m Ransley" wrote in message
What tape was used, blue painters tape ? you need to let paint cure.

m Ransley

The instruction im sure were for recoat, not tape.

Norminn

"m Ransley" wrote in message

What tape was used, blue painters tape ? you need to let paint cure.

What, specifically, did you use for primer and paint? How long after
wallpaper removal did you wait to prime? Did you rinse well after
taking off paper? Dry?

From the info you have given, I would guess that you left the tape on
until the paint dried; a mistake. Tape should be removed as soon as the
paint is applied or the paint adheres to and becomes part of the tape.
Drying time for any product - spackle, primer, paint - is not the same
as curing. Tech advice is available for most paint products on
Internet. Taping on top of any primer or paint after only two days is
risky - I've done it with good luck.

To repair the mess, I would patch the peeled edges so they don't show
through the next coat. When hard, take a damp cloth wrapped around a
flat block to smoothe the patches. Dry. Vacuum the dust off. Prime
with a primer suitable for bare plaster AND the paint you choose. Let it
go at least 3-4 days. Tape, paint. Pull tape back on itself when you
remove it - not straight out from the wall.

If you used an oil based primer without adequate time after appl.,
solvent may have helped lift your paint, which sounds like latex.
Humidity and temp have a bearing on how quickly you can proceed.

Brian

1) Use blue (easy off) tape.
2) Don't let tape sit for two days, take it off 20 minutes after you
finished painting...