Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Comcast Dropping Usenet

http://www.comcast.net/newsgroups/

It's been fun y'all.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"nospam" wrote in message
. ..
http://www.comcast.net/newsgroups/

It's been fun y'all.

Don't be cheap, get a newsgroup reader and pay a few bucks for it, or get a
free newsgroup reader. :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 13:41:25 -0700, "nospam" wrote:

http://www.comcast.net/newsgroups/

It's been fun y'all.

Damned if I'd be the least inclined to let the likes of
Comcast bugger my usenet access.

I know some folks have few (if any) alternatives, but ...
the real solution to such problem is to DROP COMCAST
(like a hot potato).

What would happen if Comcast lost, say, 1kk customers?

Note that ATT has dropped only the binaries (all that's
required by "The Powers That Be").

AQ

"The monkey and the baboon was playing 7-up.
The monkey won the money but he scared to pick it up.
The monkey stumbled, mama.
The baboon fell.
The monkey grab the money and he run like hell!"
- from "Dirty Motherfuyer", Roosevelt Sykes, around 1935
Posted to alt.home.repair

It seems to be the way everyone is moving... Usenet is become only good for
binaries anymore!

"nospam" wrote in message
. ..
http://www.comcast.net/newsgroups/

It's been fun y'all.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Alphonse Q Muthafuyer wrote:
On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 13:41:25 -0700, "nospam" wrote:

http://www.comcast.net/newsgroups/

It's been fun y'all.

Damned if I'd be the least inclined to let the likes of
Comcast bugger my usenet access.

I know some folks have few (if any) alternatives, but ...
the real solution to such problem is to DROP COMCAST
(like a hot potato).

What would happen if Comcast lost, say, 1kk customers?

Note that ATT has dropped only the binaries (all that's
required by "The Powers That Be").

Quotes are in the wrong place, IMHO. Should be around 'required'. Like
the previous 100 threads on this topic here and elsewhere said, ATT, and
many of the others, seized on the kiddie porn crisis du jour out of NY,
as an excuse to do something they wanted to do anyway, to lower their
overhead. CYA against future legal exposure was just a side bennie.
Looks like Comcast is just the latest biggie to take the next logical
(to a beancounter) step of stopping news entirely. All those storage
arrays and power to run them, especially for binaries, cost a whole
lotta money. And since only a small percentage of the paying customers
are even aware of them or use them, well, it looks a whole like like a
salad bar in a fast food joint, once the fad died down.

I'll note that many or most government/corporate sites stopped hosting
or passing on news, years ago, once they transitioned from UNIX to NT
servers, and GIU desktops, since web sites better fufilled their
internal requirements. Been a long time since the bandwidth usage for
Usenet was 'lost in the weeds', and a sysadmin could sneak it past
corporate.

I understand it, but that doesn't mean I gotta like it.

--
aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair
KLS KLS is offline

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 23:51:59 GMT, aemeijers wrote:

I'll note that many or most government/corporate sites stopped hosting
or passing on news, years ago, once they transitioned from UNIX to NT
servers, and GIU desktops, since web sites better fufilled their
internal requirements. Been a long time since the bandwidth usage for
Usenet was 'lost in the weeds', and a sysadmin could sneak it past
corporate.

I remember being able to read newsgroups with trn, years ago, and then
we were forced to move to those NT servers, and then trn wasn't
available. A sad day. Agent is ok, but I really liked trn.
Posted to alt.home.repair

nospam wrote:

http://www.comcast.net/newsgroups/

It's been fun y'all.

Since I'm using Comcast too I looked into the free news servers and this
one has 'alt.home repair' and all the other newsgroups I've been
following for years.

http://www.motzarella.org/

Give it a try...

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 13:41:25 -0700, "nospam" wrote:

http://www.comcast.net/newsgroups/

It's been fun y'all.

Howdy,

I called Comcast, chose "Modify Service" from the voicemaze,
and spoke with a sales person.

I explained that I wanted a reduction in my monthly cost
because Comcast had apparently decided to decrease the
service they had committed to provide me for the price I
agreed to pay.

He reduced my bill by just over $10 per month for the next
six months.

Given the rates I would have to pay for direct access to a
Usenet server, that will keep me going for years.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kenneth wrote:
On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 13:41:25 -0700, "nospam" wrote:

http://www.comcast.net/newsgroups/

It's been fun y'all.

Howdy,

I called Comcast, chose "Modify Service" from the voicemaze,
and spoke with a sales person.

I explained that I wanted a reduction in my monthly cost
because Comcast had apparently decided to decrease the
service they had committed to provide me for the price I
agreed to pay.

He reduced my bill by just over $10 per month for the next
six months.

Given the rates I would have to pay for direct access to a
Usenet server, that will keep me going for years.

All the best,

Where are you located??

Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 02:43:55 -0400, LouB wrote:

Kenneth wrote:
On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 13:41:25 -0700, "nospam" wrote:

http://www.comcast.net/newsgroups/

It's been fun y'all.

Howdy,

I called Comcast, chose "Modify Service" from the voicemaze,
and spoke with a sales person.

I explained that I wanted a reduction in my monthly cost
because Comcast had apparently decided to decrease the
service they had committed to provide me for the price I
agreed to pay.

He reduced my bill by just over $10 per month for the next
six months.

Given the rates I would have to pay for direct access to a
Usenet server, that will keep me going for years.

All the best,

Where are you located??

Lou

Big Mistake! They are giving the guy a reduction for 6 months. At the
same time, without really stressing the point, they enacted a new term
contract locking him in for 2 more years. After 6 months, his rate
will go up to one that is higher than his original contract, so they
will quickly get that money back. If he wants to cancel, he'll get a
whopping "early termination" fee of perhaps a few hundred dollars.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Kenneth wrote:
On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 13:41:25 -0700, "nospam" wrote:

http://www.comcast.net/newsgroups/

It's been fun y'all.

Howdy,

I called Comcast, chose "Modify Service" from the voicemaze,
and spoke with a sales person.

I explained that I wanted a reduction in my monthly cost
because Comcast had apparently decided to decrease the
service they had committed to provide me for the price I
agreed to pay.

He reduced my bill by just over $10 per month for the next
six months.

Given the rates I would have to pay for direct access to a
Usenet server, that will keep me going for years.

All the best,

Where are you located??

Lou

Hi Lou,

I'm in Southeastern NH...

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kenneth wrote:
[...]

Hello again,

With respect, just how might they hold me to a contract to
which I did not commit?

(I will also mention that I had ongoing failures with access
to Giganews through Comcast about 18 months ago. For a
period of about 5 months, before they figured out the source
of the problem, Comcast reduced my monthly costs by the
amount I paid to Giganews. After that, my rates went back to
what they had been prior to the reduction.)

Many thanks,
--
Kenneth

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Kenneth wrote:
[...]

Thanks he says sadly (Central Florida)

Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 19:13:19 -0400, Kenneth
wrote:

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 18:35:01 -0400, wrote:

wrote:

At the
same time, without really stressing the point, they enacted a new term
contract locking him in for 2 more years. After 6 months, his rate
will go up to one that is higher than his original contract

Hello again,

I listened with care to everything I was told...

But, beyond that, when I have had issues similar to the one
you describe above with other vendors, I have simply
requested that they send me a fax of my signature
authorizing the extension of the "contract."

With that, the "issue" simply vanishes.

No, the sky is not falling...

All the best,

Best of luck to you. I think you may be in for a surprise. You did say
COMCAST.

Hello again,

I have little doubt that Comcast if fully capable of doing
the sorts of things about which you express concern.

But for anyone with even a passing knowledge of their
rights, there is no issue whatever.

All the best,

You are in trouble and don't even know it. You need to read the fine
print on the FIRST agreement you had with them, as well as any
"updates" they may have made along the way. Comcast has an unusually
high rate of consumer complaints in my state, and probably in yours.
You have made a mistake, and it has nothing to do with knowing your
rights.

Don't bother with a reply, until a tear from now, when you will be
tearing your hair out in clumps. It's obvious you think you know what
you are doing. Have fun.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 19:59:55 -0400, wrote:

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 19:42:10 -0400, Kenneth
wrote:

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 19:31:49 -0400,
wrote:
You are in trouble and don't even know it. You need to read the fine
print on the FIRST agreement you had with them, as well as any
"updates" they may have made along the way. Comcast has an unusually
high rate of consumer complaints in my state, and probably in yours.
You have made a mistake, and it has nothing to do with knowing your
rights.

Don't bother with a reply, until a tear from now, when you will be
tearing your hair out in clumps. It's obvious you think you know what
you are doing. Have fun.

Hi again,

Despite your request that I not "bother" respond, I will.
(Not for your benefit, but for others who might also be
interested.)

The simple reality is that you are far more concerned about
the terrible things Comcast might do to you than am I.

In the event that it comes to mind a year from now, I will
keep you posted.

All the best,

Bwhahahahaha!

Comcast can't do anything to me. I dumped them quite some time ago.

Hi again,

How time flies...

I just realized that I need not look to the future to
understand the problems that might befall me if you are
correct.

I can look to the past.

As I explained earlier in this thread:

"(I will also mention that I had ongoing failures with
access to Giganews through Comcast about 18 months ago. For
a period of about 5 months, before they figured out the
source of the problem, Comcast reduced my monthly costs by
the amount I paid to Giganews. After that, my rates went
back to what they had been prior to the reduction.)"

That was far more than a year ago, and since I have had no
rate increase, no modification of my contract. In the
intervening 18 months I have experienced nothing other than
the reality that I demanded that they treat me decently, and
to my surprise (and no doubt to your shock,) they did.

By the way, I would be happy to drop Comcast, but,
unfortunately, they have a monopoly in my rural area.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 17:50:13 -0400, LouB
wrote:

Where are you located??

Lou

Hi Lou,

I'm in Southeastern NH...

All the best,

Thanks he says sadly (Central Florida)

Lou

Hi Lou,

Please say more about the geography... I don't understand
the issue.

Thanks,
--
Kenneth

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Where are you located??

Lou
Hi Lou,

I'm in Southeastern NH...

All the best,

Thanks he says sadly (Central Florida)

Lou

Hi Lou,

Please say more about the geography... I don't understand
the issue.

Thanks,

Comcast available plans and special offers vary by market area, based on
local agreements and what the market will bear. Around here, they are
forcing pretty much everyone to get a digital box for anything other
than what they could get with a roof antenna, and the uproar is reaching
fever pitch. Around here, Satt runs about 20-25 bucks a month less for
similar coverage.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kenneth" wrote in message
On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 13:41:25 -0700, "nospam" wrote:

http://www.comcast.net/newsgroups/

It's been fun y'all.

Howdy,

I called Comcast, chose "Modify Service" from the voicemaze,
and spoke with a sales person.

I explained that I wanted a reduction in my monthly cost
because Comcast had apparently decided to decrease the
service they had committed to provide me for the price I
agreed to pay.

He reduced my bill by just over $10 per month for the next
six months.

Given the rates I would have to pay for direct access to a
Usenet server, that will keep me going for years.

FWIW, I recently called Comcast and got my rate reduced to the $33/ service that
they advertise for newcomers for 6 months, compared to $50 per service. They
said at that time I can check with them again about current offers. If they get
difficult, there are plenty of DSL providers available.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 13:47:14 -0700, "Cheri" gserviceatinreachdotcom
wrote:

"nospam" wrote in message
http://www.comcast.net/newsgroups/

It's been fun y'all.

Don't be cheap, get a newsgroup reader and pay a few bucks for it, or get a
free newsgroup reader. :-)

Absolutely. I use Agent. It's far from perfect and the company (Forte)
has a bit of an attitude, but for about $30 every few years, it's
essentially free. I also use APN, which is just barely mediocre, but,
at $3/mo, is less than I waste driving faster than I should on the
freeway.

There are excellent block plans any number of which will sell you xx
GB of bandwidth that never expires. I haven't checked in the last few
months, but here are a few that were available 6 months ago, sorted by
$$/GB:

$0.22/GB Usenet-News, $66 for 300 GB (250 years)
$0.29/GB NewsgroupDirect, $14.95 for 50 GB (41.6 years)
$0.33/GB Usenet-News, $10 for 30 GB (25 years)
$0.33/GB Flash Newsgroups, $33.95 for 100 GB (83.3 years)
$0.37/GB Octanews, $74.95 for 200 GB (166.6 years)
$0.39/GB Flash Newsgroups, $19.95 for 50 GB (41.6 years)
$0.40/GB Astraweb, $10 for 25 GB (20.8 years)
$0.99/GB Octanews, $7.95 for 8 GB (6.6 years)
$1.00/GB Usenet-News, $2 for 2 GB (1.6 years)

The numbers in parentheses indicate how many years that much bandwidth
would last at 100MB/month, which is a lot for text-only users.

I can't imagine that anyone cannot afford $2 every 1.6 years.

The websites for the above a
http://usenet-news.net/
http://www.newsgroupdirect.com/
https://www.flashnewsgroups.com/fng_index.php
http://www.octanews.com/
http://www.news.astraweb.com/

There are are also a number of totally free news-servers, mostly text
only, but you will have to do your own research for that. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Have a happy fantasy, Ken. I'm through.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 08:40:01 -0400, wrote:

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 08:26:40 -0400, Kenneth
wrote:

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 06:35:41 -0400,
wrote:

[...]

As before, this is not directed to you, but to others who
might be interested.

With the information I have provided, it should be clear who
is providing facts, and who is offering fantasy.

It "should" be clear, but apparently to you it is not. When you get a
moment, please feel free to go **** yourself, troll.

Hey, dipstick, I thought you said you were through. You are the troll
-- and butt ugly as well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 10:58:11 -0400, wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Your mother does squat thrusts on tree stumps. I've seen it on
youtube.

C'mon, is that the best you can do. That's kinda Jr. High calibre.

I said I was through, but then, before that, I told the comcast
numbnuts not to bother with a reply and he seems to have a great need
to have the last word. I can do whatever I want.

So, you're like Kerry -- you were not through before you were through.

My guess is that you've been through since about age 15.

If you like, you cna have the last word. Go for it, but try not to get
any on you. Dip****.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
KLS wrote:
On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 23:51:59 GMT, aemeijers wrote:

I'll note that many or most government/corporate sites stopped hosting
or passing on news, years ago, once they transitioned from UNIX to NT
servers, and GIU desktops, since web sites better fufilled their
internal requirements. Been a long time since the bandwidth usage for
Usenet was 'lost in the weeds', and a sysadmin could sneak it past
corporate.

I remember being able to read newsgroups with trn, years ago, and then
we were forced to move to those NT servers, and then trn wasn't
available. A sad day. Agent is ok, but I really liked trn.

I'm using trn4 right now. Man is it cool -- especially that
little picture of the lying-on-its-side "tree" up in the
right corner. (tree of current region of the thread, shows
where you are, the branching-offs, etc.)

I do it through www.panix.com, a nyc-based company.

Provides "shell accounts" -- ie you're at a unix prompt,
and explicitly run trn or mutt (one of the email programs
they support), can compile programs, can do whatever.

AND the newsgroups -- they keep each one for about two months,
really nice since you can go read one only every few weeks and
still miss nothing.

Hooray for panix.

Oh, there's a local newsgroup, panix.questions, where users
post and answer questions, large threads on this and that.

Most of those guys are SMART! (WAY smarter than I am). Good
source of info.

David

Comcast Dropping Usenet nospam[_8_] Electronics Repair 67 September 24th 08 12:08 PM
Comcast Oscar Garcia[_2_] Woodworking 22 January 25th 08 06:41 PM
Comcast Oscar Garcia[_2_] Woodworking Plans and Photos 37 January 25th 08 06:41 PM
OT - Comcast admits delaying some traffic Too_Many_Tools Metalworking 7 October 25th 07 12:14 AM
Should I believe the Comcast repairman? tenplay Home Repair 27 January 13th 06 01:35 PM