Posted to alt.home.repair

Default CAN DOWNSPOUT ELBOWS BE BENT ???

I just picked up a 10 foot length of 2 X 3 downspout, and a couple of "A" & "B"
90 degree elbows. I have to extend one of my downspouts away from the
house to eliminate water coming in under 1 of my garage doors. I need an angle
of about 120 degrees on one of the elbows. Can I sort of "stretch it out from 90
to 120 degrees" or will the elbow distort and kink ??? Many of the elbows on my
house are straighter than 90 degrees, but the only ones I saw in HD were 90's.

Thanks,

RON
Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Ron in NY wrote:
I just picked up a 10 foot length of 2 X 3 downspout, and a couple of "A" & "B"
90 degree elbows. I have to extend one of my downspouts away from the
house to eliminate water coming in under 1 of my garage doors. I need an angle
of about 120 degrees on one of the elbows. Can I sort of "stretch it out from 90
to 120 degrees" or will the elbow distort and kink ??? Many of the elbows on my
house are straighter than 90 degrees, but the only ones I saw in HD were 90's.

That's kinda' unusual I'd think to not have anything but a full 90--most
use a 90 rather than horizontal for the return to the downspout from a
gutter.

Probably easier to find them than do the work to modify one, though
ime(stimation)...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ron in NY wrote:
I just picked up a 10 foot length of 2 X 3 downspout, and a couple of "A" & "B"
90 degree elbows. I have to extend one of my downspouts away from the
house to eliminate water coming in under 1 of my garage doors. I need an angle
of about 120 degrees on one of the elbows. Can I sort of "stretch it out from 90
to 120 degrees" or will the elbow distort and kink ??? Many of the elbows on my
house are straighter than 90 degrees, but the only ones I saw in HD were 90's.

Thanks,

RON
Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.

Try a real hardware store. I needed something similar and the local
hardware store had a selection of elbows. I don't exactly remember but I
think the one I bought was 110 degrees.
Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:

Try a real hardware store. I needed something similar and the local
hardware store had a selection of elbows. I don't exactly remember but I
think the one I bought was 110 degrees.

Unfortunately, there are no "real hardware stores" left around here. They all
closed up within the last 5 years.

RON
Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 29, 3:27 pm, (Ron in NY) wrote:
I just picked up a 10 foot length of 2 X 3 downspout, and a couple of "A" & "B"
90 degree elbows. I have to extend one of my downspouts away from the
house to eliminate water coming in under 1 of my garage doors. I need an angle
of about 120 degrees on one of the elbows. Can I sort of "stretch it out from 90
to 120 degrees" or will the elbow distort and kink ??? Many of the elbows on my
house are straighter than 90 degrees, but the only ones I saw in HD were 90's.

Thanks,

RON
Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.

You can use a 2x4 in each side of the elbow to pry it open to whatever
angle you need. It wouldn't hurt to have a helper, and you might
damage the first one you try this on.

The last time I did this, it was on bigger elbows, so you might need
something slightly smaller than a 2 x4 to do this properly. Best of
luck.

JK

Posted to alt.home.repair

I need an angle of about 120 degrees on one of the elbows.
Can I sort of "stretch it out from 90
to 120 degrees" or will the elbow distort and kink ???

They make a vinyl elbow that if flexable and can be bent to any angle
you need. Try that.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lee Lee is offline

Ron in NY wrote:
I just picked up a 10 foot length of 2 X 3 downspout, and a couple of "A" & "B"
90 degree elbows. I have to extend one of my downspouts away from the
house to eliminate water coming in under 1 of my garage doors. I need an angle
of about 120 degrees on one of the elbows. Can I sort of "stretch it out from 90
to 120 degrees" or will the elbow distort and kink ??? Many of the elbows on my
house are straighter than 90 degrees, but the only ones I saw in HD were 90's.

Thanks,

RON
Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.

Would this work? http://www.homedepot.com/SKU #663430 - "Flex Elbow"
(If not, sorry, I don't know anything about gutters, except that I got a
plastic downspout extension at Home Depot, and noticed these sitting
beside them).

How do you cut aluminum downspout? Dan_Musicant Home Repair 30 September 1st 16 08:50 PM
Downspout Noise, how to get rid of? Scott Townsend Home Repair 9 April 7th 08 04:39 PM
downspout flooding Bob Home Repair 4 November 13th 06 01:04 PM
downspout question SeaKan Home Repair 2 July 28th 06 12:56 AM
Clogged Downspout [email protected] Home Ownership 5 November 13th 05 02:19 AM