Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Default Clogged Downspout

I have a badly clogged downspout that is blocked with tightly
compacted dirt. I tried a powerful water hose and plumber's snake, but
neither helped. Would liquid plumber work at all? Any other ideas?
Dave Balderstone

In article ,
wrote:

I have a badly clogged downspout that is blocked with tightly
compacted dirt. I tried a powerful water hose and plumber's snake, but
neither helped. Would liquid plumber work at all? Any other ideas?

They're cheap. Replace it.

ameijers

wrote in message
I have a badly clogged downspout that is blocked with tightly
compacted dirt. I tried a powerful water hose and plumber's snake, but
neither helped. Would liquid plumber work at all? Any other ideas?

If you can match the style, spend ten bucks and get another downtube, and
replace it? Some things just ain't worth screwing with. Unless cement is in
there, water would eventually work, but it could take awhile. Did you try
water from both directions? Likely you have some twigs or a dead animal in
there, also.

aem sends....

"I have a badly clogged downspout that is blocked with tightly
compacted dirt. I tried a powerful water hose and plumber's snake, but
neither helped. Would liquid plumber work at all? Any other ideas? "

Hard to believe it's so clogged that a broom handle, snake or water
hose won't work. If necessary, take it down so you can work on it
easier on the ground. Don't use any drain opening compound, as the
common ones are caustic, will react with aluminum and burn right
through it.

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 18:04:11 -0600, Dave Balderstone
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

I have a badly clogged downspout that is blocked with tightly
compacted dirt. I tried a powerful water hose and plumber's snake, but
neither helped. Would liquid plumber work at all? Any other ideas?

They're cheap. Replace it.

For goodness sake, don't use anythign caustic..your downspout is
probably aluminim amd you may well dissolve the entire dingus. Not to
mention having caustic liquids coming down on your lawn when ti drains
won't do it a bit of good.

As the other poster said..just replace it if it's that bad...and get
the habit of checking them annually so they don't get this compacted.

Jim P.