asdf

Default clogged main sewer drain

I'm a little concerned at the moment. I live on a city sewer system,
in a 4 year old slab home. The one gamble you take in a slab home,
is of course the sewer line under your slab, and sure enough, bingo.
For a year or two, our washer would cause bubbling in our downstairs
toilet when it drained. Also, we have noticed water in our front yard
this time as well. For example, during a cold week, of which there
are few in in this southern state, we would notice ice building up on
our front curb, in the absence of any precipitation. OTherwise,
nothing noticable. And now, with the clogged drain, there is a clear
amount of wetness in the front yard and on the curb.
The downstairs toilet, which appears to be the most downstream drain
in the house, won't drain. Plunging actually pulls water into the
toilet. Any water drained in any drain puts water into the downstairs
toilet. The relief pipe in my front yard, about one foot from the
front of my house is clear. There was a small amount of sludge in the
bottom of the pipe, which i cleared out by running a garden house down
it. It drains without a pause.
So I suppose this is a clog between my toilet and the relief pipe, a
distance of about 30 feet, all under my house slab. I have called a
plummer, we will see what he has to say. I am worried about a broken
main sewer line under my slab responsibe for the history of small
amounts of water in the front yard, and now, the clogged drain. I
guess I will have him run the camera down. I plan to move in a year,
so if he can clear out the blockage but the pipe is broken, maybe I
will defer the big fix to the next owner. Anyone know if the next
owner can put it on me? Could this be a vent problem instead?
Speedy Jim

asdf wrote:

[...]

If the yard is wet (presumably from the sewer draining), then the
drain is broken somewhere. (Didn't sound like the water was coming
up out of the house trap vent outside.)

Contact your insurance co. to see if this may be a covered event.
(Maybe get the camera testing done first so you can show it was
a "sudden" occurrence rather than roots in the sewer.)

Yes, you would have to disclose this problem when selling.

If it does mean digging it up, ask the plumber to investigate
what alternate routes the drain might take, such as out the
back or side of the house and around the foundation. Might
save going thru the living room, for example.

Jim
SQLit

"asdf" wrote in message
om...
[...]

If you have water in the yard then you probably have a broken line. I would
save the camera and do a roto rooter job first. See if that helps, then do
the camera. I used to have a blockage problem in my home the clothes washer
was the furthers way. I had clogs every couple of months. Slow drains and
the like, no water mind ya. Rootered the lines out, then flushed a quart of
ammonia down the clothes washer drain followed by 20 or so gallons of hot
water. Not one problem since. I discovered that the washer filter was
putting the lint into the drain that was causing the problem Now I have a
screen in the line and clean it once a week.
Good luck, chances are the plumbing under the slab is ok, pretty stable
usually. I will bet that the problem is in the yard