Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Downspout Noise, how to get rid of?

Do I have a downspout that is near the bedroom that when it rains a little
you can hear it drip. Its like the funnel thing at the top is aligned just
right with the bottom and hits the angle piece or something. Its just this
constant thump thump thump...

What's a guy to do to get some sleep?

Thanks,
Scott-

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Scott Townsend wrote:
Do I have a downspout that is near the bedroom that when it rains a little
you can hear it drip. Its like the funnel thing at the top is aligned just
right with the bottom and hits the angle piece or something. Its just this
constant thump thump thump...

What's a guy to do to get some sleep?

Thanks,
Scott-

Find the drip point and adjust things so the water runs down the side
instead of breaking free as a drip.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Scott Townsend wrote:

Do I have a downspout that is near the bedroom that when it rains a little
you can hear it drip. Its like the funnel thing at the top is aligned just
right with the bottom and hits the angle piece or something. Its just this
constant thump thump thump...

What's a guy to do to get some sleep?

Thanks,
Scott-

Adjust the bottom of the downspout so it is a tad further from the house
- just 1/2" or 1" should
make it so the drip doesn't hit but slides down the pipe. Or try
sticking a piece of wire screen
into the bend - drips hit the screen instead of the pipe.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 29, 7:19*am, Norminn wrote:
Scott Townsend wrote:
Do I have a downspout that is near the bedroom that when it rains a little
you can hear it drip. Its like the funnel thing at the top is aligned just
right with the bottom and hits the angle piece or something. * Its just this
constant thump thump thump...

What's a guy to do to get some sleep?

Thanks,
*Scott-

Adjust the bottom of the downspout so it is a tad further from the house
- just 1/2" or 1" should
make it so the drip doesn't hit but slides down the pipe. *Or try
sticking a piece of wire screen
into the bend - drips hit the screen instead of the pipe.

You could remove the final elbow on the end of the downspout and slide
a few feet of corrugated plastic pipe over the end of the downspout.
That solves the noise and also takes the water farther away from the
house, which is a good thing.

Alternatively, you could glue a small strip of some soft material,
like a piece of shingle or maybe a thin scrub type sponge material,
inside the elbow where the water strikes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Scott Townsend" wrote in message
et...
Do I have a downspout that is near the bedroom that when it rains a little
you can hear it drip. Its like the funnel thing at the top is aligned just
right with the bottom and hits the angle piece or something. Its just
this constant thump thump thump...

What's a guy to do to get some sleep?

Thanks,
Scott-

Take a length of galvanized or brass chain and extend it down the downspout.
The water will run along the chain instead of dripping.

Alternative -- and a decorative solution that will become a topic of
conversation -- Take the downspout off completely and add a decorative
chain instead, anchored with a weight or to a splash stone. Except when you
have a heavy downpour the water will cascade down the chain onto the splash
stone and away from the house. If your area is vulnerable to frequent heavy
thunderstorms that drop a lot of water quickly, this may result in some
splashing at the foundation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kind of circumvents the whole purpose of the gutters doesn't it? If he's
going to do that, he might just as well hook a chain to the gutter, fasten
it to his SUV (Mall terrian vehicle) and rip them off the house.

"JimR" wrote in message
If your area is vulnerable to frequent heavy
thunderstorms that drop a lot of water quickly, this may result in some
splashing at the foundation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

put a small sponge in the bottom elbow, it'll dampen the drip sound. And
when you get heavy rain it'll wash out. Simply replace it when the rain
stops.

This encourages plugging of leaves where the sponge is.

Best to simply angle the down spout away from the house so that the water
runs down the back (inside) side of the pipe; no "drip drip drip".

FBt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 29, 12:59 am, "Scott Townsend" [email protected]
SPAMplease.enm.com wrote:
Do I have a downspout that is near the bedroom that when it rains a little
you can hear it drip. Its like the funnel thing at the top is aligned just
right with the bottom and hits the angle piece or something. Its just this
constant thump thump thump...

What's a guy to do to get some sleep?

Ear plugs, or...
http://www.oldhouseweb.com/stories/Detailed/14201.shtml
http://www.rainquiet.com/

Or you can use a Scotchbrite pad to line the offending elbow(s).
They're thin enough that you can sandwich it between the elbow joints
to hold it in place.

How do you cut aluminum downspout? Dan_Musicant Home Repair 30 September 1st 16 09:50 PM
Finding downspout drain? Nate Nagel Home Repair 14 August 28th 07 05:25 AM
downspout flooding Bob Home Repair 4 November 13th 06 02:04 PM
downspout question SeaKan Home Repair 2 July 28th 06 01:56 AM
Clogged Downspout [email protected] Home Ownership 5 November 13th 05 03:19 AM