Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

Default downspout flooding

due to heavy rains lately in Pacific Northwest I notice for first time that
the junction between one of my downspouts and the 4 inch PVC pipe that
drains the rainwater away spouts water onto my lawn - it looks like a
natural spring!! The other downspout-4inch pvc pipes around the home
function perfectly well.

I suspect the underground pipe is clogged and am tempted to rent a hand
driven snake to unclog. Appreciate any thoughts anyone with similar
experience may have had.
thx
bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob wrote:
due to heavy rains lately in Pacific Northwest I notice for first time that
the junction between one of my downspouts and the 4 inch PVC pipe that
drains the rainwater away spouts water onto my lawn - it looks like a
natural spring!! The other downspout-4inch pvc pipes around the home
function perfectly well.

I suspect the underground pipe is clogged and am tempted to rent a hand
driven snake to unclog. Appreciate any thoughts anyone with similar
experience may have had.
thx
bob

Start the cleaning process from the discharge end.

Depending on how long the pipe is, a shop vac might be helpful in
removing the debris

Hand snake is gonna have a hard time with a clogged 4" line

Do oyu have good access to the discharge end? & good water pressure?

you could water water jet with with a length of 3/4" PVC & one of those
garden hose mini fire hose nozzles

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob" wrote in message
m...
due to heavy rains lately in Pacific Northwest I notice for first time
that the junction between one of my downspouts and the 4 inch PVC pipe
that drains the rainwater away spouts water onto my lawn - it looks like a
natural spring!! The other downspout-4inch pvc pipes around the home
function perfectly well.

I suspect the underground pipe is clogged and am tempted to rent a hand
driven snake to unclog. Appreciate any thoughts anyone with similar
experience may have had.
thx
bob

Might be clogged with Douglas Fir needles at the junction. I know when I
finally cleaned my problem gutter the downspout pipe looked like it had
taken a crap. I had to manually remove a huge ball of needles from the exit
before flow continued.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"BobK207" wrote in message
oups.com...

Bob wrote:
[...]

As above.
Clean out what you can by hand and shop vac, etc.
Then use the hose - biggest diameter you can get your hands on.
Alternate with the hose wide open, or with a blaster nozzle ( File
of any sharp corners so it won't catch on things.) Slide the hose
in and out repeatedly, twisting it various ways, to thoroughly clean
out the muck. It will flood out of the pipe until you finally get through
or give up. On my house, I discovered that the drains went into a
concrete sistern with an outlet pipe to the back yard. I did the same
cleaning method to get that drain working.

Put some kind of screening into the gutters or downspouts to keep
leaves and needles from washing underground.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eigenvector" wrote in message

"Bob" wrote in message
m...
due to heavy rains lately in Pacific Northwest I notice for first time
that the junction between one of my downspouts and the 4 inch PVC pipe
that drains the rainwater away spouts water onto my lawn - it looks like

natural spring!! The other downspout-4inch pvc pipes around the home
function perfectly well.

I suspect the underground pipe is clogged and am tempted to rent a hand
driven snake to unclog. Appreciate any thoughts anyone with similar
experience may have had.
thx
bob

Might be clogged with Douglas Fir needles at the junction. I know when I
finally cleaned my problem gutter the downspout pipe looked like it had
taken a crap. I had to manually remove a huge ball of needles from the

exit
before flow continued.

a root system could have invaded a break in the underground line.
keep an eye on the stuff that gets cleaned out to see what the blockage was
made up of. try and mark where the hose gets stopped, by either markinmg
the hose and measuring the it out after the hose gets pulled or marking the
hose and laying the hose out on the surface covering the area of the run.
if you have to dig this should hopefullu get you in the ballpark.