Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

Default Connecting sump pump hose to rain downspout.

I am fairly new to all this, so please be kind. I will do my best to
explain the problem.

A neighbor who knows less about this than me had a new sump pump
installed. The installer simply poked a hole in the wall from his
basement and pushed out a black flex hose outside extending only a foot
or so from the house. The problem is, it pumps water which is pooling
in his yard causing a trail of soggy mud which spills into my yard
causing a swamp. A friend visiting pointed out to me, that this guy's
sump pump hose was lying right next to the rain downspout which goes
right into the ground. He suggested that this neighbor could have his
sump pump hose tied into what appears to be an underground drainage for
the downspouts. I had mentioned the problem in a very nice way to this
neighbor, but they are clueless about how to fix it.

Ok, how can this be done? Does this require digging down to the
underground drainage to connect the sump pump hose, or can it be
connected above ground? What tools would be required to do this and is
it simple to do?

I'm looking for a workable solution to this, even web sites which
explain it with photos if possible, so I can be ready to share this
with this neighbor to be as helpful as possible. I'm very concerned
they might do something incorrect to make the problem worse in order
just to do something. Thanks!

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

eastcoastguyz wrote:
[...]

Not being able to see his down spout/drain connection I can't say how.
In general all that is needed is somehow to put the nose of the sump
pump pipe into the same hole as the downspout. In my case, it woiuld
just be a matter of dropping it in as there is plenty of room. No,
except for aethetics, there is no need to connect it underground.
It may be necessary, however, to dig out enough of the drain to intall
a "Y" so you can have two entrances to it.

Harry K

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

Harry K wrote:
eastcoastguyz wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the helpful reply! The end of the downspout meets right up
to something in the ground which looks to the the exact size as the
downspout, so it doesn't look like a sump pump hose could be pushed
down into it.

What is a "Y" connection? Is this something that can be purchased like
at Home Depot? Thanks!

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

"eastcoastguyz" wrote in message
ups.com...

Harry K wrote:
eastcoastguyz wrote:
[...]

If I was going to do this, and I don't know anything about any codes so take
this for what it is worth (no guarantees and all...), I would try to find a
downspout Y and feed both water sources into it. Think of it this way, if
two raingutters fed into the same downspout there would need to be a Y so
they could both feed into the downspout. That is what you would need, and I
would imagine that a HD might have it or maybe someplace online.

Now, I would also add this feature so you will not siphon water from the
roof into the basement. Have an air gap between the sump line and the Y.
This means have the water drop where you can see it falling down. This
precludes the water going upwards (it would spill out the gap instead).

The other interesting thing to find out would be if the place that all this
water goes would have the capacity to handle the extra water amount.

I am not saying to do this, just that if I would this is what I would be
thinking. Hope this helps,
Tomes

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

eastcoastguyz wrote:
Harry K wrote:
eastcoastguyz wrote:
[...]

Plumbing fitting come in many combinations. T and Y are two. It
refers to the way they look. It allows 2 pipes to be connected so they
feed into one. Hard to describe without a picture. You can try to
find a Y for the downspout and not have to do any digging. Just ask at
the lumberyard and they will show you.

Harry K

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

The easiest solution is to buy more of that flex pipe and a coupler
plus some hose clamps. Then run that pipe from his pump further away
from both your houses. Maybe there is a ditch along a rural road, or
if in a city, run it over the curb into the road, which will go down a
storm drain. (this could be illegal, so check local laws, OR just do
it and if its illegal, act stupid). Either way, pipe it far from all
buildings. Solid PVC pipe (or steel pipe) can also be used instead of
the flex pipe which tends to degrade after a year or two from
sunlight.

Sump Pump questions John Home Repair 7 January 5th 06 01:25 AM
sump pump lifetime? peter Home Repair 8 January 3rd 06 10:14 AM
Several things wrong with new flat - no central heating, low hot water pressure even with water pump, noisey pump kiich UK diy 69 July 13th 05 08:36 PM
Sump pump drain overflowing Chris Home Ownership 1 April 7th 05 10:07 PM
Backup Sump Pump Horror Story Harvey Krodin Home Repair 10 June 27th 03 03:59 PM