Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How do you cut aluminum downspout?

One of the downspouts from a roof job done a year ago drains right into
the soil next to my foundation. I was thinking of making a drain-away
out of concrete (a bit of concrete work needs to be done right there,
anyway), but I got the idea of routing the downspout out away from the
foundation horizontally.

When the roofers did the job a year ago, I salvaged a couple of extra
10' or so lengths of aluminum downspouting and stashed them in my
garage. I figure I can run a 4' or so length of this from the end of the
downspout coming from the gutter above and route the flow out a few feet
from the foundation and onto my concrete patio where the water won't
sink into the ground at the foundation.

How can I cut the aluminum? I guess I can work it with a box cutter, but
I wonder if that's best. The metal is sure to deform if I cut it that
way. What do the pros use? TIA.

Dan
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dan_Musicant" wrote in message

How can I cut the aluminum? I guess I can work it with a box cutter, but
I wonder if that's best. The metal is sure to deform if I cut it that
way. What do the pros use? TIA.

Dan

Hacksaw or a metal cutting blade in a jigsaw

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I don't know about the pros, but I use a fine tooth hack saw. It takes a few
minutes per cut, but it works.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 00:11:34 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

:
:"Dan_Musicant" wrote in message
:
: How can I cut the aluminum? I guess I can work it with a box cutter, but
: I wonder if that's best. The metal is sure to deform if I cut it that
: way. What do the pros use? TIA.
:
: Dan
:
:Hacksaw or a metal cutting blade in a jigsaw
:
Thanks. I have both.

Posted to alt.home.repair

When I worked in construction (In a previous life) we would just poke our
snips or hammer claw into the down spout a few inches away from the final
length and cut around it.

The first resulting cut makes a mess of it but you just keep trimming around
until you hit your mark.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 12, 5:40 pm, Dan_Musicant wrote:
[...]

Sheet metal pros use double cut tin snips, either hand type or
electric depending on work at hand. For cutting any kind of sheet
metal tubing, the weapon of choice. There is simply no other way to
make a nice clean cut in the middle of a 4" water heater vent, for
example, or the downspout tubing in your case. For a one time use, the
price may not justify the tool, so alternatives in this thread might
be adequate. If you're curious about what a double cut snip is, check
out the tools like that at Amazon.com or HarborFreight.com. HTH

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Joe, Ty Hall wrote:
dremel with cut off wheel

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ut-194413-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 30 May 2016 05:44:01 +0000, Ty Hall
wrote:

replying to Joe, Ty Hall wrote:
dremel with cut off wheel

I don't know how they do it, but they've had aluminum gutters and
downspouts for 50+ years and I doubt many people, I don't anyone used
a dremel.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 30 May 2016 13:13:56 -0400, Micky
wrote:

dremel with cut off wheel

I don't know how they do it, but they've had aluminum gutters and
downspouts for 50+ years and I doubt many people, I don't anyone used
a dremel.

Tin snips or a hack saw with a fresh blade.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

wrote:

dremel with cut off wheel

I don't know how they do it, but they've had aluminum gutters and
downspouts for 50+ years and I doubt many people, I don't anyone used
a dremel.

Tin snips or a hack saw with a fresh blade.

Snips pretty tough to start on downspout.

32 tpi hacksaw blade for the homeowner pretty much the "tool of the
trade" but pro's often will use a chop saw w/ 24 or thereabouts carbide
tip blade. I've used a 12" blade in the Sawzall but you can't be timid
in the approach; _must_ get the foot on the spout surface to keep it
from catching and collapsing it. I've not set one up for it, but I'd
think the sawzall in a vertical position w/ a table would work pretty
well if were doing a bunch.

But, w/ Al, it's so soft and easy to cut, may'st well just use the
hacksaw and go on...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

dremel with cut off wheel

I don't know how they do it, but they've had aluminum gutters and
downspouts for 50+ years and I doubt many people, I don't anyone used
a dremel.

Tin snips or a hack saw with a fresh blade.

Snips pretty tough to start on downspout.

32 tpi hacksaw blade for the homeowner pretty much the "tool of the

That's what I thought of. Snips did seem hard to use on downspout,
and discussing it seemed even harder, so I said "I don't know."

trade" but pro's often will use a chop saw w/ 24 or thereabouts carbide
tip blade. I've used a 12" blade in the Sawzall but you can't be timid
in the approach; _must_ get the foot on the spout surface to keep it
from catching and collapsing it. I've not set one up for it, but I'd
think the sawzall in a vertical position w/ a table would work pretty
well if were doing a bunch.

I cut my water heater into several parts with an imitation sawzall.
The blades might have been cheap too, I don't know, but half way
through I noticed I had no teeth in the part of the blade I was using.
But it cut just as well as it had been!!!! I did the second half of
the job without changing the blade.

But, w/ Al, it's so soft and easy to cut, may'st well just use the
hacksaw and go on...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

dremel with cut off wheel

I don't know how they do it, but they've had aluminum gutters and
downspouts for 50+ years and I doubt many people, I don't anyone used
a dremel.

Tin snips or a hack saw with a fresh blade.

Snips pretty tough to start on downspout.

32 tpi hacksaw blade for the homeowner pretty much the "tool of the
trade" but pro's often will use a chop saw w/ 24 or thereabouts carbide
tip blade. I've used a 12" blade in the Sawzall but you can't be timid
in the approach; _must_ get the foot on the spout surface to keep it
from catching and collapsing it. I've not set one up for it, but I'd
think the sawzall in a vertical position w/ a table would work pretty
well if were doing a bunch.

But, w/ Al, it's so soft and easy to cut, may'st well just use the
hacksaw and go on...

A couple of my co workers just use the an oxygen-acetylene torch
to cut aluminum pipe to install flow meters. I don't think they hit
the O2 but don't know for sure. They say it's better than a sawzall.
It's usually 8' pipe with about a 4" diameter hole.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Micky, Ty Hall wrote:
t of the gutter

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ut-194413-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

replying to Joe, Ty Hall wrote:
dremel with cut off wheel

I don't know how they do it, but they've had aluminum gutters and
downspouts for 50+ years and I doubt many people, I don't anyone used
a dremel.

I doubt many people, I doubt anyone used a dremel.

When am I going to learn to type.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

It's called"friction sawing" and on some material it works just fine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

A rotary lawnmower works pretty good on the extension to lead the
water away from the foundation if you hide it in the grass - - - - -
Not a particularly smooth or clean cut, but - -
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 30, 2016 at 1:44:05 AM UTC-4, Ty Hall wrote:
replying to Joe, Ty Hall wrote:
dremel with cut off wheel

....and another 10 year old thread gets revived.

I hope the OP hasn't been living with a wet foundation since February 2007.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

A couple of my co workers just use the an oxygen-acetylene torch
to cut aluminum pipe to install flow meters. I don't think they hit
the O2 but don't know for sure. They say it's better than a sawzall.
It's usually 8' pipe with about a 4" diameter hole.

A rotary lawnmower works pretty good on the extension to lead the
water away from the foundation if you hide it in the grass - - - - -
Not a particularly smooth or clean cut, but - -

It's efficient doing two jobs at once like that. I screwed up on the
typing.
8' aluminum pipe should've read 8" aluminum pipe. Length varies, or
course,
but is usually under 30 feet. The work is for these:
http://preview.alturl.com/9onhs
One has to cut a big enough hole to get the propeller into the
pipe.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Ty Hall, Ty Hall wrote:
the real pros use a dremel....right minnie....i mean micky

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ut-194413-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 31 May 2016 13:44:01 +0000, Ty Hall
wrote:

the real pros use a dremel....right minnie....i mean micky

BS. Real pros make gutters and spouts on-site, custom for the home.
Measurements are precise. They can bend raw material and cut where
necessary.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.rec.driving

On 5/29/2016 10:44 PM, Ty Hall wrote:
replying to Joe, Ty Hall wrote:
dremel with cut off wheel

Very carefully..........LOL!
Posted to uk.rec.driving,alt.home.repair

Default How do you spell 'aluminium downspout'?

On Tue, 31 May 2016 11:35:04 -0700, "Colonel Edmund J. Burke"
wrote:

On 5/29/2016 10:44 PM, Ty Hall wrote:
replying to Joe, Ty Hall wrote:
dremel with cut off wheel

Very carefully..........LOL!

It's 'ALUMINIUM', Coronel.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Dan_Musicant, Ty Hall wrote:
_this site sucks i reply ansd its not what i wrote_

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ut-194413-.htm

Posted to uk.rec.driving,alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 5/29/2016 10:44 PM, Ty Hall wrote:
replying to Joe, Ty Hall wrote:
dremel with cut off wheel

Very carefully..........LOL!

It's 'ALUMINIUM', Coronel.

I didn't do it!
No, wait! Not the anal prod again!
YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

replying to Ty Hall, Ty Hall wrote:
the real pros use a dremel....right minnie....i mean micky

Minnie's my girlfriend. Her grandmother's maiden name was Dremel,
btw.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 31 May 2016 18:44:01 +0000, Ty Hall
wrote:

replying to Dan_Musicant, Ty Hall wrote:
_this site sucks i reply ansd its not what i wrote_

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ut-194413-.htm

It might indeed be the sight. Get a nuwsriedr and read nuws directly.
Posted to uk.rec.driving,alt.home.repair

Default IMPERSONATION ALERT!

On 5/31/2016 12:35 PM, The Peeler wrote:
On Tue, 31 May 2016 11:38:58 -0700, serb bitch Razovic, the resident
psychopath of sci and scj and Usenet's famous sexual cripple, IMPERSONATING
his master Michael, farted:

replying to Joe, Ty Hall wrote:
dremel with cut off wheel

Very carefully..........LOL!

It's 'ALUMINIUM', Coronel.

It's always "ANALUMINUM" for YOU, Miss Recktum! LOL

LOL
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Micky, Wnew813 wrote:
I used the Dermal with a cutoff blade, it cut but didn't last long.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ut-194413-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wnew813 posted for all of us...

replying to Micky, Wnew813 wrote:
I used the Dermal with a cutoff blade, it cut but didn't last long.

So how did the sawing with skin work out? Any scars?
--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ut-194413-.htm

--
Tekkie

downspout question SeaKan Home Repair 2 July 28th 06 12:56 AM
How To Cut Aluminum [email protected] Home Repair 3 May 31st 06 01:39 AM
Clogged Downspout [email protected] Home Ownership 5 November 13th 05 02:19 AM
Any recommendations for a desktop CNC that can cut aluminum parts? Gunner Metalworking 1 February 8th 05 07:20 AM
best method to cut 3/4" aluminum tubing? david Woodworking 26 September 11th 04 01:17 PM