Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How do you cut aluminum downspout?

On Mon, 30 May 2016 14:57:28 -0400, Micky
wrote:

On Mon, 30 May 2016 13:12:50 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 05/30/2016 12:36 PM, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 30 May 2016 13:13:56 -0400, Micky
wrote:

dremel with cut off wheel

I don't know how they do it, but they've had aluminum gutters and
downspouts for 50+ years and I doubt many people, I don't anyone used
a dremel.

Tin snips or a hack saw with a fresh blade.

Snips pretty tough to start on downspout.

32 tpi hacksaw blade for the homeowner pretty much the "tool of the

That's what I thought of. Snips did seem hard to use on downspout,
and discussing it seemed even harder, so I said "I don't know."

trade" but pro's often will use a chop saw w/ 24 or thereabouts carbide
tip blade. I've used a 12" blade in the Sawzall but you can't be timid
in the approach; _must_ get the foot on the spout surface to keep it
from catching and collapsing it. I've not set one up for it, but I'd
think the sawzall in a vertical position w/ a table would work pretty
well if were doing a bunch.

I cut my water heater into several parts with an imitation sawzall.
The blades might have been cheap too, I don't know, but half way
through I noticed I had no teeth in the part of the blade I was using.
But it cut just as well as it had been!!!! I did the second half of
the job without changing the blade.

But, w/ Al, it's so soft and easy to cut, may'st well just use the
hacksaw and go on...

It's called"friction sawing" and on some material it works just fine.