Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Magic Jack No Uninstall program

After many good hits and many bad misses, I am done with Magic Jack.
I packed it up, and will be shipping it back tomorrow. I will find
out then how much postage I will be out for this piece of crap.
The last pain in the ass will be getting it off my machine.

http://uninstallmagicjack.com/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 19:04:08 -0400, metspitzer
wrote:

After many good hits and many bad misses, I am done with Magic Jack.
I packed it up, and will be shipping it back tomorrow. I will find
out then how much postage I will be out for this piece of crap.
The last pain in the ass will be getting it off my machine.

Are you mad about this? I can get you a head doctor in Las Vegas.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 11, 7:24*pm, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 19:04:08
wrote:

After many good hits and many bad misses, I am done with Magic Jack.
I packed it up, and will be shipping it back tomorrow. *I will find
out then how much postage I will be out for this piece of crap.
The last pain in the ass will be getting it off my machine.

Are you mad about this? I can get you a head doctor in Las Vegas.

I am not mad. I do resent when people sell you a piece of crap
knowing it is crap.

You don't think an uninstall program is necessary for software?

I think it should be a law, punishable by death.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Lou Lou is offline

You don't think an uninstall program is necessary for software?

I think it should be a law, punishable by death.

It sounds like you got your wish. The magic jack is dead.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Lou wrote:
You don't think an uninstall program is necessary for software?

I think it should be a law, punishable by death.

It sounds like you got your wish. The magic jack is dead.

How so?

--
Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/11/2008 4:42 PM metspitzer spake thus:

On Aug 11, 7:24 pm, Oren wrote:

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 19:04:08
wrote:

After many good hits and many bad misses, I am done with Magic Jack.
I packed it up, and will be shipping it back tomorrow. I will find
out then how much postage I will be out for this piece of crap.
The last pain in the ass will be getting it off my machine.

Are you mad about this? I can get you a head doctor in Las Vegas.

I am not mad. I do resent when people sell you a piece of crap
knowing it is crap.

You don't think an uninstall program is necessary for software?

I think it should be a law, punishable by death.

Yep, I agree.

Oh, sure, there are those diehard tech types (probably some reading
here) who'll tell you, aw, ****, all you gotta do is delete the program
files, then use the Windows registry editor to remove all the registry
entries--piece of cake. (And reboot 5 or 6 times, then do a couple of
virus scans ...)

Yeah, right.

It drags itself out of the dark abyss of pish, and crawls insanely up
the topmost pinnacle of posh. It is rumble and bumble. It is flap and
doodle. It is balder and dash."

- With apologies to H. L. Mencken
Posted to alt.home.repair

metspitzer wrote:
On Aug 11, 7:24 pm, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 19:04:08
wrote:

After many good hits and many bad misses, I am done with Magic
Jack.
I packed it up, and will be shipping it back tomorrow. I will find
out then how much postage I will be out for this piece of crap.
The last pain in the ass will be getting it off my machine.

Are you mad about this? I can get you a head doctor in Las Vegas.

I am not mad. I do resent when people sell you a piece of crap
knowing it is crap.

You don't think an uninstall program is necessary for software?

I think it should be a law, punishable by death.

So what happens when you go to Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs?
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 11, 9:52*pm, "J. Clarke" wrote:
metspitzerwrote:
On Aug 11, 7:24 pm, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 19:04:08
wrote:

After many good hits and many bad misses, I am done with Magic
Jack.
I packed it up, and will be shipping it back tomorrow. I will find
out then how much postage I will be out for this piece of crap.
The last pain in the ass will be getting it off my machine.

Are you mad about this? I can get you a head doctor in Las Vegas.

I am not mad. *I do resent when people sell you a piece of crap
knowing it is crap.

You don't think an uninstall program is necessary for software?

I think it should be a law, punishable by death.

So what happens when you go to Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs?
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Nothing.
It lists all the well behaved, professional software.

Guess what is not on the list

Posted to alt.home.repair

metspitzer wrote:
On Aug 11, 9:52 pm, "J. Clarke" wrote:
metspitzerwrote:
On Aug 11, 7:24 pm, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 11 Aug 2008
19:04:08
wrote:

[...]

Under what account did you install it?

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 11, 10:42*pm, "J. Clarke" wrote:

Guess what is not on the list

Under what account did you install it?

There is not one. It is pretty well documented on the internet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

metspitzer wrote:
On Aug 11, 10:42 pm, "J. Clarke" wrote:

Guess what is not on the list

Under what account did you install it?

There is not one. It is pretty well documented on the internet.

If you're running Windows NT, 2000, XP, or Vista then there is an
account. Different program lists show up for different accounts.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/11/2008 8:40 PM J. Clarke spake thus:

metspitzer wrote:

On Aug 11, 10:42 pm, "J. Clarke" wrote:

Guess what is not on the list

Under what account did you install it?

There is not one. It is pretty well documented on the internet.

If you're running Windows NT, 2000, XP, or Vista then there is an
account. Different program lists show up for different accounts.

I assume the OP knows that. I think you're grasping at straws here;
obviously, they didn't bother to put in the stuff needed for
de-installation ("Oh, nobody's ever going to want to *not* use our great
software!").

It drags itself out of the dark abyss of pish, and crawls insanely up
the topmost pinnacle of posh. It is rumble and bumble. It is flap and
doodle. It is balder and dash."

- With apologies to H. L. Mencken
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article m,
David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 8/11/2008 4:42 PM metspitzer spake thus:

On Aug 11, 7:24 pm, Oren wrote:

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 19:04:08
wrote:

[...]

And then there are those Mac guys, who wonder why anyone in their right
mind would fight a computer night and day to get it to do any little
thing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article m,
David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 8/11/2008 4:42 PM metspitzer spake thus:

On Aug 11, 7:24 pm, Oren wrote:

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008
19:04:08
wrote:

[...]

So how do you uninstall a program on a Mac?

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue 12 Aug 2008 12:13:20a, J. Clarke told us...

Smitty Two wrote:
In article m,
David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 8/11/2008 4:42 PM metspitzer spake thus:

On Aug 11, 7:24 pm, Oren wrote:

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008
19:04:08 wrote:

[...]

With brute force. Just rip it off the hard drive with your bare hands.

Date: Tuesday, 08(VIII)/12(XII)/08(MMVIII)

Countdown till Labor Day
2wks 5dys 23hrs 24mins
Being good at being stupid doesn't count.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"J. Clarke" wrote:

So how do you uninstall a program on a Mac?

--

You drag it to the trash.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
"J. Clarke" wrote:

So how do you uninstall a program on a Mac?

--

You drag it to the trash.

And how do you know that it cleaned up after itself when it went into
the trash?

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/12/2008 10:03 AM J. Clarke spake thus:

Smitty Two wrote:

In article ,
"J. Clarke" wrote:

So how do you uninstall a program on a Mac?

You drag it to the trash.

And how do you know that it cleaned up after itself when it went into
the trash?

You don't, of course: you cross your fingers, knock on wood, throw salt
over your left shoulder and hope for the best.

Now, before you go confusing me with a PC lover/Mac basher, I'm not
either one. But contrary to the constant bleatings of the Mac faithful,
not everything is all peachy-keen with installing and uninstalling stuff
on the computers "for the rest of us". F'rinstance, has anyone here ever
tried to set up networking between a Mac and something else? It's
actually about as difficult and unclear a process as doing the same
thing with a Windblows box; in fact, I give the PC a slight advantage
here, contrary to the conventional wisdom that "everything is easier on
a Mac". And the online help on the Mac is a joke.

It drags itself out of the dark abyss of pish, and crawls insanely up
the topmost pinnacle of posh. It is rumble and bumble. It is flap and
doodle. It is balder and dash."

- With apologies to H. L. Mencken
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

After many good hits and many bad misses, I am done with Magic Jack.
I packed it up, and will be shipping it back tomorrow. I will find
out then how much postage I will be out for this piece of crap.
The last pain in the ass will be getting it off my machine.

http://uninstallmagicjack.com/

Please explain what problems you had with MajicJack.
Most reviews give it a thumbs up. Why don't you write
your own review on what you experienced?
Posted to alt.home.repair

news
wrote:

After many good hits and many bad misses, I am done with Magic Jack.
I packed it up, and will be shipping it back tomorrow. I will find
out then how much postage I will be out for this piece of crap.
The last pain in the ass will be getting it off my machine.

http://uninstallmagicjack.com/

Please explain what problems you had with MajicJack.
Most reviews give it a thumbs up. Why don't you write
your own review on what you experienced?

I tried one for a few weeks. The price was certainly right and a lot of the
calls were pretty good quality.

But there were too many call quality issues too-- echo, calls not going
through, a few drops, sometimes no dial tone. Plus you have to leave your
computer on all the time-- and an annoying pop up box accompanies
incoming/outgoing calls. I thought about just hooking up an old box and
leaving it the MJ-- but then decided to ship it back.

We'll see if they bill my credit card this coming month!!

Bottom line-- not reliable enough yet to replace my either of my VoIP line
or POTS line. Give them a year or two...they might be just fine though. I
hope they make it-- it will drive local phone prices down!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 16:42:40 -0700 (PDT), metspitzer
wrote:

On Aug 11, 7:24*pm, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 19:04:08
wrote:

After many good hits and many bad misses, I am done with Magic Jack.
I packed it up, and will be shipping it back tomorrow. *I will find
out then how much postage I will be out for this piece of crap.
The last pain in the ass will be getting it off my machine.

Are you mad about this? I can get you a head doctor in Las Vegas.

I am not mad. I do resent when people sell you a piece of crap
knowing it is crap.

Some/One version of MS WinDers (redneck version) came to market with
68,000 known bugs. Ever tried fix produced another bug.

You don't think an uninstall program is necessary for software?

WinDERS 98 or what, for your OS.

I think it should be a law, punishable by death.

FORMAT at the C:\

DOD wipe!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 19:16:47 -0700 (PDT), metspitzer
wrote:

On Aug 11, 9:52*pm, "J. Clarke" wrote:
metspitzerwrote:
On Aug 11, 7:24 pm, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 19:04:08
wrote:

After many good hits and many bad misses, I am done with Magic
Jack.
I packed it up, and will be shipping it back tomorrow. I will find
out then how much postage I will be out for this piece of crap.
The last pain in the ass will be getting it off my machine.

Are you mad about this? I can get you a head doctor in Las Vegas.

I am not mad. *I do resent when people sell you a piece of crap
knowing it is crap.

You don't think an uninstall program is necessary for software?

I think it should be a law, punishable by death.

So what happens when you go to Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs?
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Nothing.
It lists all the well behaved, professional software.

Guess what is not on the list

OP Get to device manager (if you have such).
EXPOSE hidden devices.

Delete instances of the (same/multiple) hardware device. That will
change the Registry.

See the Startup list and clip any driver, out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 12, 2:41*pm, "J.H. Holliday" doc@ok wrote:
wrote in message

news
On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 19:04:08
wrote:

[...]

I echo everything he said, and I had one more problem. The voice mail
didn't work. I thought it would be pretty cool to get a .wav file of
your voice mail in an email, but playing the file back was blank. I
think if the voice mail worked it might have been enough for me to
keep it. Having a reliable answering machine may have convinced me to
give up my main phone.

Some calls were very clear and some were crap. The fact that some
calls were crystal clear, convinced me that it was not my hardware
causing the problems.

BTW the return postage cost 1.68 and .75 for a received confirmation.
So it really didn't cost much to test drive it. I just taped the RMA
to the front of the package and mailed it back.

I really wanted it to work, but it is not there yet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 09:30:33 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
"J. Clarke" wrote:

So how do you uninstall a program on a Mac?

--

You drag it to the trash.

Then, since you have NO IDEA what's actually going on within that OS,
you remove your system hard drive from the computer, put it in the
driveway, drive a truck over it a few times, submerge it in acid for 2
hours, and mail it to an out-of-state Baptist church along with a
picture of Mickey Mouse. Now put a new drive in your computer and
reinstall everything (except Magic Jack).
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"J. Clarke" wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
"J. Clarke" wrote:

So how do you uninstall a program on a Mac?

--

You drag it to the trash.

And how do you know that it cleaned up after itself when it went into
the trash?

--

Macs are designed to be used. PCs are designed to be ****ed with. Most
PC owners I know spend more time trying to fix problems than actually

Posted to alt.home.repair

metspitzer wrote:
After many good hits and many bad misses, I am done with Magic Jack.
I packed it up, and will be shipping it back tomorrow. I will find
out then how much postage I will be out for this piece of crap.
The last pain in the ass will be getting it off my machine.

http://uninstallmagicjack.com/

Just delete the files that you can see, including any hidden files,
edit the registry, then reboot once.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/12/2008 9:25 PM Boden spake thus:

metspitzer wrote:

After many good hits and many bad misses, I am done with Magic Jack.
I packed it up, and will be shipping it back tomorrow. I will find
out then how much postage I will be out for this piece of crap.
The last pain in the ass will be getting it off my machine.

http://uninstallmagicjack.com/

Just delete the files that you can see, including any hidden files,
edit the registry, then reboot once.

You do realize that suggesting someone "edit the registry" is like
saying suggesting they perform brain surgery with a Sawzall and some
dental picks. (I do edit my own registry occasionally, but I do know
something about what I'm doing. I certainly don't recommend it to others.)

It drags itself out of the dark abyss of pish, and crawls insanely up
the topmost pinnacle of posh. It is rumble and bumble. It is flap and
doodle. It is balder and dash."

- With apologies to H. L. Mencken

Magic Jack update metspitzer Home Repair 3 August 2nd 08 07:33 PM
Magic Jack metspitzer Home Repair 16 July 29th 08 08:59 PM
Magic Jack news anyone? John Jones Home Repair 11 May 31st 08 02:12 PM
Magic Jack metspitzer Home Repair 25 May 31st 08 08:48 AM
Magic Jack Review metspitzer Home Repair 2 May 25th 08 02:09 AM