Posted to alt.home.repair
metspitzer metspitzer is offline

Default Magic Jack No Uninstall program

On Aug 12, 2:41*pm, "J.H. Holliday" doc@ok wrote:
wrote in message

news
On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 19:04:08
wrote:

After many good hits and many bad misses, I am done with Magic Jack.
I packed it up, and will be shipping it back tomorrow. *I will find
out then how much postage I will be out for this piece of crap.
The last pain in the ass will be getting it off my machine.

http://uninstallmagicjack.com/

Please explain what problems you had with MajicJack.
Most reviews give it a thumbs up. Why don't you write
your own review on what you experienced?

I tried one for a few weeks. The price was certainly right and a lot of the
calls were pretty good quality.

But there were too many call quality issues too-- echo, calls not going
through, a few drops, sometimes no dial tone. Plus you have to leave your
computer on all the time-- and an annoying pop up box accompanies
incoming/outgoing calls. I thought about just hooking up an old box and
leaving it the MJ-- but then decided to ship it back.

We'll see if they bill my credit card this coming month!!

Bottom line-- not reliable enough yet to replace my either of my VoIP line
or POTS line. Give them a year or two...they might be just fine though. I
hope they make it-- it will drive local phone prices down!

I echo everything he said, and I had one more problem. The voice mail
didn't work. I thought it would be pretty cool to get a .wav file of
your voice mail in an email, but playing the file back was blank. I
think if the voice mail worked it might have been enough for me to
keep it. Having a reliable answering machine may have convinced me to
give up my main phone.

Some calls were very clear and some were crap. The fact that some
calls were crystal clear, convinced me that it was not my hardware
causing the problems.

BTW the return postage cost 1.68 and .75 for a received confirmation.
So it really didn't cost much to test drive it. I just taped the RMA
to the front of the package and mailed it back.

I really wanted it to work, but it is not there yet.