Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Approx. cost of asphalt overlay

I have an asphalt driveway. I am considering an asphalt
overlay/resurfacing of typical thickness. What would be an approximate
cost per sq ft for this, assuming a sound base and relatively
problem-free installation? Just the ballpark is all I am after.
I do not want to remove/replace, nor do I want concrete.
Thanks.
Don
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 10, 9:24�pm, Don Tuttle wrote:
I have an asphalt driveway. I am considering an asphalt
overlay/resurfacing of typical thickness. What would be an approximate
cost per sq ft for this, assuming a sound base and relatively
problem-free installation? Just the ballpark is all I am after.
I do �not want to remove/replace, nor do I want concrete.
Thanks.
Don

do realize all current cracks will re appear within a year or two.
potholes if any will reappear.

overlays are good cheaper fixes when your selling but offer little
over time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Don Tuttle" wrote in message
I have an asphalt driveway. I am considering an asphalt
overlay/resurfacing of typical thickness. What would be an approximate
cost per sq ft for this, assuming a sound base and relatively
problem-free installation? Just the ballpark is all I am after.
I do not want to remove/replace, nor do I want concrete.
Thanks.
Don

The price per foot varies considerably. For a 200 foot driveway the same
equipment has to be brought on site as a 10,000 foot drive. Then there are
the obstacles that may or may not be present.

I just had some work done and got five prices from local asphalt
contractors. They varied from $68,000 to $155,000 for the exact same work.
Quite a spread. We went with the $105,000 guy as he has the best
reputation. My guess is that you can get that big of a range in your
situation also.

As for overlay, some won't do it, depending or condition. It you have a lot
of "alligatoring" or bare spots, they will come back again and you will
blame the contractor. That is why the better guys won't do it unless it is
in very good condition.

Oh, typical thickness is 1.5 inches for top and 1.5 for base. Heavy use,
such as trucking weight, may get 2 and 2.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Tuttle wrote:
I have an asphalt driveway. I am considering an asphalt
overlay/resurfacing of typical thickness. What would be an approximate
cost per sq ft for this, assuming a sound base and relatively
problem-free installation? Just the ballpark is all I am after.
I do not want to remove/replace, nor do I want concrete.
Thanks.
Don

I am in process of brushing on my own top coat, ~6000 sq/ft, with Henry
532 (7 year formula).
I am getting about 300-350 sq/ft per 5 gallon bucket @ $25.00 per
bucket. The advertised coverage is 250-500 sq/ft per bucket. Depends on
the condition and texture of your existing asphalt.

Kevin
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 10, 8:24 pm, Don Tuttle wrote:
I have an asphalt driveway. I am considering an asphalt
overlay/resurfacing of typical thickness. What would be an approximate
cost per sq ft for this, assuming a sound base and relatively
problem-free installation? Just the ballpark is all I am after.
I do not want to remove/replace, nor do I want concrete.
Thanks.
Don

In my area a year ago I was quoted $1.25/sq ft for recap of 1400 sq ft
of existing driveway from two different companies. However, even
though both had the same price per sq ft, one said they did a 1.5"
recap while the other did a 2" recap. We never did either, so couldnt
tell you one way or the other if its a good idea. Also, one disclaimer
on these prices...since they're old I wouldnt use them as a super
accurate reference...one guy I talked to this year said their prices
have jumped considerably with the spike in oil prices. Still, hope
that helps a little anyway.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Don Tuttle" wrote in message
I have an asphalt driveway. I am considering an asphalt
overlay/resurfacing of typical thickness. What would be an approximate
cost per sq ft for this, assuming a sound base and relatively
problem-free installation? Just the ballpark is all I am after.
I do not want to remove/replace, nor do I want concrete.
Thanks.
Don

Depends. Plain seal coat is inexpensive, but as stated, it is hard to find
a company that will send a lot of gear out to do a small job, as it would
take the same amount of gear to do a larger area. The new thing is open
grade, where a machine comes in, shaves off some of the asphalt, mixes it
with other things, and immediately relays it. About a third the cost of
seal coating, and lasts longer, but for a small job, not something a
contractor would want to mess with. And then there are the gypsies. What
you want is difficult, as most people won't want to mess with it, and those
who do will want a lot. But then, work is slow all over, and maybe the
market is different now.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

My original message:
I have an asphalt driveway. I am considering an asphalt

overlay/resurfacing of typical thickness. What would be an approximate
cost per sq ft for this, assuming a sound base and relatively
problem-free installation? Just the ballpark is all I am after.
I do not want to remove/replace, nor do I want concrete.

Thanks for all replies.

I would like to try my question again, with info I should have included
the first time.

I don't want to coat my present driveway. I want another layer of
asphalt laid on top of the present one. Perhaps I should not have said
"resurfacing" which I now see could mean brushing/spraying on a new
surface topcoating.

The contractor who built my neighborhood decades ago installed this
driveway for his own house, so I assume it was done correctly. It is in
pretty good condition considering its age.

It is a long driveway. My rough estimate is 13,000 square feet. This
sounds to me like a sufficiently large project that somebody ought to
be interested in doing it.

Stratford1 was quoted "$1.25/sq ft for recap of 1400 sq ft
of existing driveway" a year ago. Would, say, $1.50/sq ft be a very
rough approximation of what the cost might be today? About $20,000
(gulp) for the driveway?

Thanks to all.
Don
Posted to alt.home.repair

I don't want to coat my present driveway. I want another layer of
asphalt laid on top of the present one.

Y-E-L-L-O-W P-A-G-E-S

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 13, 11:30�am, Don Tuttle wrote:
My original message:I have an asphalt driveway. I am considering an asphalt

[...]

does it hve cracks? potholes? sinking or heaving areas?

just hy do you want to recoat it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Asphalt is a petroleum product. Like many other things, costs
escalate daily. If you can get someone for $9/yard (1$/ SF) jump
on it. Asphalt work is typically priced by the square yard, not
feet.

--
Keep the whole world singing . . . .