Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
James

Default Approx Weight of treated 4 x 6 ??

Anyone have any idea of the approximate weight of a pressure-treated 4 x 6
timber, 8 ft long ?

These are treated at .40 rating. I assume they are made of yellow pine
?? I know the weight would vary by how long the posts have been outside,
asorbing air moisture, etc etc, but I am looking for an approximation, based
on posts that are 3 -4 months aged.

Thanks for any info !!

--james--

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
RicodJour

James wrote:
Anyone have any idea of the approximate weight of a pressure-treated 4 x 6
timber, 8 ft long ?

These are treated at .40 rating. I assume they are made of yellow pine
?? I know the weight would vary by how long the posts have been outside,
asorbing air moisture, etc etc, but I am looking for an approximation, based
on posts that are 3 -4 months aged.

Southern Yellow Pine weighs in at a little over 40 pounds per cubic
foot. Your 4x6 8 footer is just over a cubic foot. So an untreated
dried piece would weigh about 40-45 pounds. If it's treated and still
partially wet, you'd be looking at another 10 pounds or so.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Bob

RicodJour wrote:
James wrote:
Anyone have any idea of the approximate weight of a pressure-treated 4 x 6
timber, 8 ft long ?

These are treated at .40 rating. I assume they are made of yellow pine
?? I know the weight would vary by how long the posts have been outside,
asorbing air moisture, etc etc, but I am looking for an approximation, based
on posts that are 3 -4 months aged.

Southern Yellow Pine weighs in at a little over 40 pounds per cubic
foot. Your 4x6 8 footer is just over a cubic foot. So an untreated
dried piece would weigh about 40-45 pounds. If it's treated and still
partially wet, you'd be looking at another 10 pounds or so.

From my experience, very wet PT lumber almost doubles in weight.

Something to consider if weight is a factor.

Bob

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 22:31:59 -0400, "James"
wrote:

Anyone have any idea of the approximate weight of a pressure-treated 4 x 6
timber, 8 ft long ?

These are treated at .40 rating. I assume they are made of yellow pine
?? I know the weight would vary by how long the posts have been outside,
asorbing air moisture, etc etc, but I am looking for an approximation, based
on posts that are 3 -4 months aged.

about 70 pounds, +/- 20.

http://www.reade.com/Particle_Briefings/spec_gra2.html
says that southern yellow pine should be around 45 pounds
per cubic foot.

http://www.treatedwood.com/products/generalfaq.html
says that freshly treated wood
may have as much as 38 pounds of water per cu.ft,
which will eventually dry out leaving around
0.40 pounds per cubic foot of actual preservative.

a an 8' 4x6 is actually about 3.5 x 5.5 x 96 inches,
which works out to about 1.07 cubic feet.