Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Default Approx Weight of treated 4 x 6 ??

James wrote:
Anyone have any idea of the approximate weight of a pressure-treated 4 x 6
timber, 8 ft long ?

These are treated at .40 rating. I assume they are made of yellow pine
?? I know the weight would vary by how long the posts have been outside,
asorbing air moisture, etc etc, but I am looking for an approximation, based
on posts that are 3 -4 months aged.

Southern Yellow Pine weighs in at a little over 40 pounds per cubic
foot. Your 4x6 8 footer is just over a cubic foot. So an untreated
dried piece would weigh about 40-45 pounds. If it's treated and still
partially wet, you'd be looking at another 10 pounds or so.