Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Goedjn

Default Approx Weight of treated 4 x 6 ??

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 22:31:59 -0400, "James"
wrote:

Anyone have any idea of the approximate weight of a pressure-treated 4 x 6
timber, 8 ft long ?

These are treated at .40 rating. I assume they are made of yellow pine
?? I know the weight would vary by how long the posts have been outside,
asorbing air moisture, etc etc, but I am looking for an approximation, based
on posts that are 3 -4 months aged.

about 70 pounds, +/- 20.

http://www.reade.com/Particle_Briefings/spec_gra2.html
says that southern yellow pine should be around 45 pounds
per cubic foot.

http://www.treatedwood.com/products/generalfaq.html
says that freshly treated wood
may have as much as 38 pounds of water per cu.ft,
which will eventually dry out leaving around
0.40 pounds per cubic foot of actual preservative.

a an 8' 4x6 is actually about 3.5 x 5.5 x 96 inches,
which works out to about 1.07 cubic feet.