Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Bob

Default Approx Weight of treated 4 x 6 ??

RicodJour wrote:
James wrote:
Anyone have any idea of the approximate weight of a pressure-treated 4 x 6
timber, 8 ft long ?

These are treated at .40 rating. I assume they are made of yellow pine
?? I know the weight would vary by how long the posts have been outside,
asorbing air moisture, etc etc, but I am looking for an approximation, based
on posts that are 3 -4 months aged.

Southern Yellow Pine weighs in at a little over 40 pounds per cubic
foot. Your 4x6 8 footer is just over a cubic foot. So an untreated
dried piece would weigh about 40-45 pounds. If it's treated and still
partially wet, you'd be looking at another 10 pounds or so.

From my experience, very wet PT lumber almost doubles in weight.

Something to consider if weight is a factor.

Bob