Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Approx. cost of asphalt overlay

"Don Tuttle" wrote in message
I have an asphalt driveway. I am considering an asphalt
overlay/resurfacing of typical thickness. What would be an approximate
cost per sq ft for this, assuming a sound base and relatively
problem-free installation? Just the ballpark is all I am after.
I do not want to remove/replace, nor do I want concrete.
Thanks.
Don

The price per foot varies considerably. For a 200 foot driveway the same
equipment has to be brought on site as a 10,000 foot drive. Then there are
the obstacles that may or may not be present.

I just had some work done and got five prices from local asphalt
contractors. They varied from $68,000 to $155,000 for the exact same work.
Quite a spread. We went with the $105,000 guy as he has the best
reputation. My guess is that you can get that big of a range in your
situation also.

As for overlay, some won't do it, depending or condition. It you have a lot
of "alligatoring" or bare spots, they will come back again and you will
blame the contractor. That is why the better guys won't do it unless it is
in very good condition.

Oh, typical thickness is 1.5 inches for top and 1.5 for base. Heavy use,
such as trucking weight, may get 2 and 2.