Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Paperless

On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 19:55:40 -0500, metspitzer wrote:
Going paperless would be a good thing except for one thing. It is too
complicated.

I was trying to change my phone features online. They wanted me to
agree to go paperless so I said ok Why not? I am having to log on
anyway.

So.............You have to furnish your phone number..... ok.....then
You have to furnish your last 4 ss number ok then
They want to send you a conformation number by phone or mail (no
email) ok then
Pick your username ok I try my email address. Too many characters
ok I pick my nickname..........Name already in use ok

Now.........what is your favorite pets name

I'd recommend you have your neighbor's nine year old set it up for you.
It's trivial for anybody who isn't a moron.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Going paperless would be a good thing except for one thing. It is too
complicated.

I was trying to change my phone features online. They wanted me to
agree to go paperless so I said ok Why not? I am having to log on
anyway.

So.............You have to furnish your phone number..... ok.....then
You have to furnish your last 4 ss number ok then
They want to send you a conformation number by phone or mail (no
email) ok then
Pick your username ok I try my email address. Too many characters
ok I pick my nickname..........Name already in use ok

Now.........what is your favorite pets name
2nd question........................
NO! No fragging second question. Send me my bill in the mail. Screw
you and your horse. We are talking about a phone bill not a CIA
document!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why not use your email address and let them email you a password? End
of story.

If they make paperless user friendly, I will do it. Not until. You
shouldn't have to ever log in to a web site to get your statement.
Just email the statement. Screw the cloak and dagger stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Never go paperless unless you either get something in return (Citibank
paid me $40) or you're going to be homeless.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Going paperless would be a good thing except for one thing. It is too
complicated.

I was trying to change my phone features online. They wanted me to
agree to go paperless so I said ok Why not? I am having to log on
anyway.

So.............You have to furnish your phone number..... ok.....then
You have to furnish your last 4 ss number ok then
They want to send you a conformation number by phone or mail (no
email) ok then
Pick your username ok I try my email address. Too many characters
ok I pick my nickname..........Name already in use ok

Now.........what is your favorite pets name

I'd recommend you have your neighbor's nine year old set it up for you.
It's trivial for anybody who isn't a moron.

Not neccesarily. I went paperless with my phone bill.

When I had a problem, I called their 800 number to ask about the offending
calls on my wireless bill..
"Ah yes",she says "I see them, but I can't tell you what they were. You have
to go online to get that information."

So I go to their web site. When I try to login it says my password is wrong.
But this is the password on my magic list of passwords that hasn't changed
in a long time. So now I click the link that will let me reset the pass
word. Now I get the challenge question popup. I should pick a question from
the list to prove it is me.

Next problem, There aren't any questions to answer. I set this up before
they changed the system and the question list is empty. OK it says click
here and we will text you a new pasword. If they can't text it they will
send it by snail mail after 48 hours. Well my wireless phone is not quite an
antique, but it won't receive text, it doesn't take pictures or movies. It
doesn't have GPS capability. It is what I wanted . It is a telephone and
nothing else.

Four days later I get the snail mail with my new password.

Do you think the phone company is just a bit out of control?

I won't tell you the name of the company, but you can fill in the blanks,
V-r-z-n.

As the comedian says "Is this a great country or not?"

Charlie

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
AZ Nomad wrote:

If I want to look up a bill, I go online. Paper bills are as
worthless as junk mail.

Depends on your circumstances. I still get the paper phone bill (for
instance) because I need a paper copy for tax purposes anyway. I figure
I might as well have them send it to me so I don't have to remember to
print it out every month myself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 10:49:00 -0400, Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
AZ Nomad wrote:

If I want to look up a bill, I go online. Paper bills are as
worthless as junk mail.

Depends on your circumstances. I still get the paper phone bill (for
instance) because I need a paper copy for tax purposes anyway. I figure
I might as well have them send it to me so I don't have to remember to
print it out every month myself.

bills that I need for tax purposes, I save to a folder for the year's
taxes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
AZ Nomad wrote:

If I want to look up a bill, I go online. Paper bills are as
worthless as junk mail.

Try getting a copy of both sides of a 4 year old canceled
check on-line from your "safekeeping" checking account ;-)

Then call that bank for a copy ;-)

Some banks dump their copy/image in as short as 18 months.

Depends on your circumstances. I still get the paper phone bill (for
instance) because I need a paper copy for tax purposes anyway. I figure
I might as well have them send it to me so I don't have to remember to
print it out every month myself.

I like the irony of paying the phone company for internet
access so they can then bill me on-line. If only I could
charge everyone for the time and expense of paying their bills.

-- larry/dallas
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 15:03:51 -0500, larry wrote:
Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
AZ Nomad wrote:

If I want to look up a bill, I go online. Paper bills are as
worthless as junk mail.

Try getting a copy of both sides of a 4 year old canceled
check on-line from your "safekeeping" checking account ;-)

Try getting a copy of a canceled check from the current statement.
Most banks copy and dispose checks.
You'd better learn how to operate a web browser, email client, and
computer file system if you want to live in this century.

Then call that bank for a copy ;-)

WTF would I need a 4 year old canceled check for?
It takes you 4 years to realize that a check wasn't cashed or was
fraudulantly written? I know within the month. Once a transaction is
complete, I don't care how it was paid. The bank statement showing
the money transfer is enough.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
AZ Nomad wrote:

WTF would I need a 4 year old canceled check for?

Statute of limitations on tax fraud is 6 years. If audited they can
require canceled checks for anything and everything. Even "normal" stuff
is 3 years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
AZ Nomad wrote:
On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 04:49:25 -0500, Caesar Romano wrote:
On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 20:04:11 -0700 (PDT),
wrote Re OT Paperless:

Never go paperless unless you either get something in return (Citibank
paid me $40) or you're going to be homeless.

Good policy. T-mobile gives me a $1/month credit for being paperless.
I require a monthly statement from everyone else.

Yeah, the desk isn't complete without reams of useless old bills
cluttering the place. They go perfectly with the receipts handed to
me for every insignifigant purchase. If I spot an error and get a
twenty five cent refund, I want another bit of a dead tree to
commemorate the experience. The refund isn't enough, I have to have
the bit of dead tree to prove it really happened. I save them all as
an heirloom. Seeing every phone call I've made embossed on a dead tree
makes the experience complete.

If I want to look up a bill, I go online. Paper bills are as
worthless as junk mail.

Unless their database barfs, and you happen to be disputing a series
of charges. Not real common, I'll admit, but it does happen.

--
aem sends...

I have had that happen in two cases. One was a little bizarre because it
was a from a business that had purchased another business and apparently
they were combing through old records looking for money and decided I
hadn't paid invoices that were almost three years old.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article
,
AZ Nomad wrote:

WTF would I need a 4 year old canceled check for?

Statute of limitations on tax fraud is 6 years. If audited they
can
require canceled checks for anything and everything. Even "normal"
stuff is 3 years.

Why would they want cancelled checks for anything that you didn't
claim as a deduction?

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 18:10:04 -0400, George wrote:

I have had that happen in two cases. One was a little bizarre because it
was a from a business that had purchased another business and apparently
they were combing through old records looking for money and decided I
hadn't paid invoices that were almost three years old.

And the bank lost their records of the transaction?
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

J. Clarke wrote:
Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article
,
AZ Nomad wrote:

WTF would I need a 4 year old canceled check for?

Statute of limitations on tax fraud is 6 years. If audited they
can
require canceled checks for anything and everything. Even "normal"
stuff is 3 years.

I thought it was 7, but either way it's a reason for keeping records for
longer than just a short time certainly.

Why would they want cancelled checks for anything that you didn't
claim as a deduction?

The bank would know which check to hold on to because you used it as a
deductible item or not???? (IOW, it really doesn't matter for what
reason one may need a record--if needed, it's needed).

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:
J. Clarke wrote:
Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article
,
AZ Nomad wrote:

WTF would I need a 4 year old canceled check for?
Statute of limitations on tax fraud is 6 years. If audited they
can
require canceled checks for anything and everything. Even "normal"
stuff is 3 years.

I thought it was 7, but either way it's a reason for keeping records
for longer than just a short time certainly.

Why would they want cancelled checks for anything that you didn't
claim as a deduction?

The bank would know which check to hold on to because you used it as
deductible item or not???? (IOW, it really doesn't matter for
what reason one may need a record--if needed, it's needed).

Who said anything about banks? Why would the IRS want cancelled
checks for anything that wasn't a tax deduction? Or does "anything
and everything. Even 'normal' stuff is 3 years" subsume only tax
deductions?

If you're claiming it as a deduction, you should have the check or a
certified copy of same in the folder with your tax records.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"J. Clarke" wrote:

Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article
,
AZ Nomad wrote:

WTF would I need a 4 year old canceled check for?

Statute of limitations on tax fraud is 6 years. If audited they
can
require canceled checks for anything and everything. Even "normal"
stuff is 3 years.

Why would they want cancelled checks for anything that you didn't
claim as a deduction?

--

They wouldn't. The question was WTF would one need a 4 year old
cancelled check for. The answer was above.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , dpb wrote:

I thought it was 7, but either way it's a reason for keeping records for
longer than just a short time certainly.

The fraud is 6 (at least according to the website although I don't
know if that changed recently), but it starts from when the taxes were
due, April 15th 2008 for 2007 taxes. So technically the SofL on 2007
taxes doesn't expire until April 15, 2014. My CPA (and others) tells me
to hang on for seven years (in other words hold my 07 taxes stuff until
2014) to avoid confusion more than anything else.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 19:34:47 -0400, Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
"J. Clarke" wrote:

Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article
,
AZ Nomad wrote:

WTF would I need a 4 year old canceled check for?

Statute of limitations on tax fraud is 6 years. If audited they
can
require canceled checks for anything and everything. Even "normal"
stuff is 3 years.

Why would they want cancelled checks for anything that you didn't
claim as a deduction?

--

They wouldn't. The question was WTF would one need a 4 year old
cancelled check for. The answer was above.

And I asked how a bank statement wouldn't be sufficient and was ignored.

Face it, you don't need old checks around. They only serve a purpose
for verifying the validity of a transaction. Afterwards, you need
only the transaction list.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
AZ Nomad wrote:

They wouldn't. The question was WTF would one need a 4 year old
cancelled check for. The answer was above.

And I asked how a bank statement wouldn't be sufficient and was ignored.

The IRS requires the cancelled checks, you weren't ignored, I just
was a little too subtle in my reply (g).

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"J. Clarke" wrote:

Who said anything about banks? Why would the IRS want cancelled
checks for anything that wasn't a tax deduction? Or does "anything
and everything. Even 'normal' stuff is 3 years" subsume only tax
deductions?

The question was why someone would want *A* (I interpreted that as
in singular, one, uno, etc.) 4 y/o check and the reason to keep *A*
check for 4 years or more was to document *A* deduction. Don't remember
where it got off on all.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 20:54:29 -0400, Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
AZ Nomad wrote:

They wouldn't. The question was WTF would one need a 4 year old
cancelled check for. The answer was above.

And I asked how a bank statement wouldn't be sufficient and was ignored.

The IRS requires the cancelled checks, you weren't ignored, I just
was a little too subtle in my reply (g).

bull****. Bank statements are sufficient.
Most banks don't provide returned canceled checks nowadays anyway,
another fact that you ignored.

Get online for a canceled check image if you feel a need to verify the
handwriting and signature, but otherwise, a bank statement is
sufficient. It proves that there was a transfer of funds.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 2, 8:42*pm, AZ Nomad wrote:
On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 18:10:04 -0400, George wrote:
I have had that happen in two cases. One was a little bizarre because it
was a from a business that had purchased another business and apparently
they were combing through old records looking for money and decided I
hadn't paid invoices that were almost three years old.

And the bank lost their records of the transaction?

Paperless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I went automatic payment because was going to be away for three to
four months, last winter, although someone was picking up my mail for
me.
Returned home to find the cell phone provider from whom I do not
receive a monthly bill as a condition of the original cheap prepaid
deal had changed the contract on me; only sending out a regular mail
'information' letter that of course I had not seen!
Now back it's one few items for which not receiving a monthly 'paper'
invoice!
Might accept an automatically e-mailed invoice; provided that had an
arrangement whereby I would 'acknowledge receipt'. And then if not
acknowledged they would then 'postal mail' it!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 3 Aug 2008 10:41:51 -0700 (PDT), terry
wrote:

On Aug 2, 8:42*pm, AZ Nomad wrote:
[...]

Emailing it is the best solution. I don't know why snail mail has
worked for years and an email wouldn't. For some unknown reason the
utility companies want you to log onto a web site to get an ebill. It
is unnecessarily complicated. I have been using direct draft for at
least 3 years and usually throw my paper utility statements in the
shredder without opening them.

Bank statements may need special treatment, but I was talking about a
utility bill, not a CIA document. The bank could send you a yearly
summary in a special passworded file or something for you to keep for
you tax records.

Posted to alt.home.repair

AZ Nomad wrote:

They wouldn't. The question was WTF would one need a 4 year old
cancelled check for. The answer was above.

And I asked how a bank statement wouldn't be sufficient and was ignored.

The IRS requires the cancelled checks, you weren't ignored, I just
was a little too subtle in my reply (g).

bull****. Bank statements are sufficient.
Most banks don't provide returned canceled checks nowadays anyway,
another fact that you ignored.

Get online for a canceled check image if you feel a need to verify the
handwriting and signature, but otherwise, a bank statement is
sufficient. It proves that there was a transfer of funds.

Sorry, bank statements don't cut it when all the statements show are the
check number, when it cleared, and the amount. I could write a check to
myself, for the amount of any bill, cash it, and claim that paid the
bill. Without the canceled check, no proof of payment, period.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Husky" wrote in message

Sorry, bank statements don't cut it when all the statements show are the
check number, when it cleared, and the amount. I could write a check to
myself, for the amount of any bill, cash it, and claim that paid the bill.
Without the canceled check, no proof of payment, period.

My bank statements come with a picture of the check showing it was
cancelled.

Posted to alt.home.repair

AZ Nomad wrote:

[...]

again bull****. There's the concept of a transaction and it involves
a transfer of funds from one person to another. If you cash the
check, it hasn't transfered any funds to the other party. The
statement will show it either going to you, or to cash.

You're not very bright, are you?
Posted to alt.home.repair

AZ Nomad wrote:
[...]

Pot-Kettle-Black.
Not all financial institutions list the payee on the statement. Don't
assume your little corner of the universe is how the rest of the world
does things.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Husky" wrote in message
Sorry, bank statements don't cut it when all the statements show are the
check number, when it cleared, and the amount. I could write a check to
myself, for the amount of any bill, cash it, and claim that paid the bill.
Without the canceled check, no proof of payment, period.

My bank statements come with a picture of the check showing it was
cancelled.

In our case, the judge said he had to see the signature on
the back.
Our bank imaged just the front of the checks. The only thing
that
saved our $1300 was a year end summary that showed the payment
they claimed they didn't get.

Many years ago, a postmark on an envelop saved my backside.
I've saved everything since then ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
AZ Nomad wrote:

Sorry, bank statements don't cut it when all the statements show are the
check number, when it cleared, and the amount. I could write a check to
myself, for the amount of any bill, cash it, and claim that paid the
bill. Without the canceled check, no proof of payment, period.

again bull****. There's the concept of a transaction and it involves
a transfer of funds from one person to another. If you cash the
check, it hasn't transfered any funds to the other party. The
statement will show it either going to you, or to cash.

No, his statement is like mine only showing #, date and amount.
Nothing at all on the statement about who got it. What part of "the
statement doesn't show who it is going" are you having trouble coming to
grips with.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/02/08 08:54 pm Kurt Ullman wrote:

They wouldn't. The question was WTF would one need a 4 year old
cancelled check for. The answer was above.

And I asked how a bank statement wouldn't be sufficient and was ignored.

The IRS requires the cancelled checks, you weren't ignored, I just
was a little too subtle in my reply (g).

About 25 years ago, the Australian equivalent of _Newsweek_ printed
something to the effect of "The US Banking system is so quaint: they
still shuffle paper checks [except that they spelled it correctly:
"cheques"] from one bank to the other."

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 08 Aug 2008 08:30:35 -0400, Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
AZ Nomad wrote:

Sorry, bank statements don't cut it when all the statements show are the
check number, when it cleared, and the amount. I could write a check to
myself, for the amount of any bill, cash it, and claim that paid the
bill. Without the canceled check, no proof of payment, period.

again bull****. There's the concept of a transaction and it involves
a transfer of funds from one person to another. If you cash the
check, it hasn't transfered any funds to the other party. The
statement will show it either going to you, or to cash.

No, his statement is like mine only showing #, date and amount.
Nothing at all on the statement about who got it. What part of "the
statement doesn't show who it is going" are you having trouble coming to
grips with.

You right. I was wrong.

I've been doing electronic payments for so long, that I've forgotten the
difference between check and EFT.

And by the way, I always save the payment confirmation codes in a file in
a payments directory. I just don't use little bits of trees for storing
files.