Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New House : Two Electrical Questions

Hello everyone!

New to this group and thought I would give it a try.

We are looking at a new house and I wanted to get an opinion on two
things:

In one bathroom, the light switch is near the show. Is this dangerous?
What can we do to correct this?

The house has a detached garage which has 110 and 220. The power is
governed by one switch in the house. Is that safe? Again, what can we
do to correct it?

Thanks a bunch, have a great day!
Ryan
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ryan wrote:
Hello everyone!

New to this group and thought I would give it a try.

We are looking at a new house and I wanted to get an opinion on two
things:

In one bathroom, the light switch is near the show. Is this dangerous?
What can we do to correct this?

By "new house" I take it you mean new to you, not brand new construction.

See if there's a GFCI breaker feeding that switch. If there isn't, you
probably should get one installed, but you may then run into that GFCI
annoying you by tripping off if the area around the switch gets splashed
with water.

The house has a detached garage which has 110 and 220. The power is
governed by one switch in the house. Is that safe? Again, what can we
do to correct it?

If you would please describe that "switch" to us, we'd be in a better
position to comment.

Thanks a bunch, have a great day!
Ryan

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for answering so quickly!

The switch looks like a regular light switch. It seems to cut all
power to the attached garage. Not sure about the 220 though, we didn't
test that.

Thanks again!
Ryan
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
eonecommunications...
Ryan wrote:
Hello everyone!

New to this group and thought I would give it a try.

We are looking at a new house and I wanted to get an opinion on two
things:

In one bathroom, the light switch is near the show. Is this dangerous?
What can we do to correct this?

Near the shower is fine, in the shower is probably not the best location,
and may be advisable to have it relocated to the opposite side of the wall
from it's current location. (probably outside the bathroom)

By "new house" I take it you mean new to you, not brand new construction.

See if there's a GFCI breaker feeding that switch. If there isn't, you
probably should get one installed, but you may then run into that GFCI
annoying you by tripping off if the area around the switch gets splashed
with water.

Probably better to have an annoying ground fault tripping, then a
potentially live switchplate with someone standing in the shower

The house has a detached garage which has 110 and 220. The power is
governed by one switch in the house. Is that safe? Again, what can we
do to correct it?

If you would please describe that "switch" to us, we'd be in a better
position to comment.

Thanks a bunch, have a great day!
Ryan

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

metspitzer wrote:
If it is not tripping, it is most likely safe.

Does that go for putting a penny in a fuse holder also? The least safe
circuits are the ones that never trip the breaker.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 16:16:53 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

Ryan wrote:
Hello everyone!

New to this group and thought I would give it a try.

We are looking at a new house and I wanted to get an opinion on two
things:

In one bathroom, the light switch is near the show. Is this dangerous?

Only if someone in the shower while the shower is running tries to
turn the light on or off. Would anyone do that?

What can we do to correct this?

See if there's a GFCI breaker feeding that switch. If there isn't, you
probably should get one installed, but you may then run into that GFCI
annoying you by tripping off if the area around the switch gets splashed
with water.

I don't understand. I thougtht a GFCI tripped if there was no ground
like there should be.

How would a GFI trip any more than a any breaker just because it got
wet?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 16:41:37 -0400, mm
wrote:

I don't understand. I thougtht a GFCI tripped if there was no ground
like there should be.

How would a GFI trip any more than a any breaker just because it got
wet?

A GFCI trips if the current on one leg is not equal to the current on
the other leg. This happens when current goes to ground thru another
path, like your body. A GFCI doesn't need an "electrical source
ground" to work.

They are often installed because there is not a grounding wire at the
device.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I don't understand. I thougtht a GFCI tripped if there was no ground
like there should be.

How would a GFI trip any more than a any breaker just because it got
wet?

A GFCI trips if the current on one leg is not equal to the current on
the other leg. This happens when current goes to ground thru another
path, like your body. A GFCI doesn't need an "electrical source
ground" to work.

They are often installed because there is not a grounding wire at the
device.

Then there's the strange myth that a GFCI itself PROVIDES a grounding
connection. It doesn't.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I don't understand. I thougtht a GFCI tripped if there was no ground
like there should be.

How would a GFI trip any more than a any breaker just because it got
wet?

A GFCI trips if the current on one leg is not equal to the current on
the other leg. This happens when current goes to ground thru another
path, like your body. A GFCI doesn't need an "electrical source
ground" to work.

They are often installed because there is not a grounding wire at the
device.

Then there's the strange myth that a GFCI itself PROVIDES a grounding
connection. It doesn't.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy

I've never heard that myth, and if it exists, it's wrong

Posted to alt.home.repair

Which show? Is it a movie theatre, or a big screen?

Yes, it's possible to switch 110 and 220 using the same switch.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ryan" wrote in message
Hello everyone!

New to this group and thought I would give it a try.

We are looking at a new house and I wanted to get an opinion on two
things:

In one bathroom, the light switch is near the show. Is this dangerous?
What can we do to correct this?

The house has a detached garage which has 110 and 220. The power is
governed by one switch in the house. Is that safe? Again, what can we
do to correct it?

Thanks a bunch, have a great day!
Ryan

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 19:58:47 -0400, "RBM" wrote:

[snip]

Then there's the strange myth that a GFCI itself PROVIDES a grounding
connection. It doesn't.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy

I've never heard that myth, and if it exists, it's wrong

I never heard it until I started reading this newsgroup (possibly it's
confusion relating to the use of a GFCI for safety where there is no
ground wire).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Ryan wrote:
[...]

Common misunderstanding about 'grounds' and GFCIs. The so called GFCI
shoul be better named!
GFCIs operate (to disconnect and protect the circuit) when there is an
unbalance in the current flowing in the live and neutral wires through
the GFCI outlet.
Such an unbalnce MAY be due to something grounding through, say a
human body, etc. hence the requirment they be used in damp locations,
such as the garden, bathrooms etc.
BTW this thread doesn't seem to nbe too clear.
Apparently it is not a NEW house???????
There is a switch in the bathroom near the shower? Either move it to
the opposite side of the wall (hopefully just outside the bathroom
door etc. and/or intercept the circuit somewhere BEFORE the switch and
insert a GFCI in that wiring (or change the circuit breaker for that
circuit to a GFCI type).
There is some sort of switch controlling everything in the
garage?????? Or everything that is 110 volts in the garage?
he reference to 220 volts is unclear. Is that a 220 volt cocvket for
say a dryer, or maybe a home welder owned by a previuos owner?
It's all very vague.
Posted to alt.home.repair

have you had a home inspector check out the entire place.

its cheap insurance to avoid nasty surprises, can be used to negoiate
lower price, and a person on location will have a better idea of whats
up.

home inspectors are sellers worse nightmare, and buyer best friend

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 12:45:59 -0700 (PDT), terry
wrote:

BTW this thread doesn't seem to nbe too clear.
Apparently it is not a NEW house???????
There is a switch in the bathroom near the shower? Either move it to
the opposite side of the wall (hopefully just outside the bathroom
door etc. and/or intercept the circuit somewhere BEFORE the switch and
insert a GFCI in that wiring (or change the circuit breaker for that
circuit to a GFCI type).
There is some sort of switch controlling everything in the
garage?????? Or everything that is 110 volts in the garage?
he reference to 220 volts is unclear. Is that a 220 volt cocvket for
say a dryer, or maybe a home welder owned by a previuos owner?
It's all very vague.

There is nothing wrong with the location of the light switch. There
is no reason to lose a minute sleep over it.

There is not enough information to say, for sure, if the breaker for
the garage is a problem. Nothing in the post would make me suspicious
of the wiring.

I am sure we could make a long list of things that could be wrong, but
I'm not.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 18, 8:38�pm, Boden wrote:
wrote:
have you had a home inspector check out the entire place.

its cheap insurance to avoid nasty surprises, can be used to negoiate
lower price, and a person on location will have a better idea of whats
up.

home inspectors are sellers worse nightmare, and buyer best friend

Yes, but most home inspectors I've encountered are less than
knowledgeable. �They have opinions, not knowledge,

having been a seller, they were my biggest nightmare. find one who is
acxcredited, and insured.

as a buyer they will sve you money
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 18, 9:13Â*pm, Boden wrote:
wrote:
On Jul 18, 8:38�pm, Boden wrote:

wrote:

have you had a home inspector check out the entire place.

its cheap insurance to avoid nasty surprises, can be used to negoiate
lower price, and a person on location will have a better idea of whats
up.

home inspectors are sellers worse nightmare, and buyer best friend

Yes, but most home inspectors I've encountered are less than
knowledgeable. �They have opinions, not knowledge,

having been a seller, they were my biggest nightmare. find one who is
acxcredited, and insured.

as a buyer they will sve you money

Yes, but they save you money through their opinions, not knowledge. Â*It
is akin to extortion. Â*If the various states were to require that these
inspectors be licensed engineers I'd have a bit more faith in their
proclamations.- Hide quoted text -

oh i agree, but for this buyer a inspection cant hurt and may uncover
other issues.

like reversed neutrals and hots in electric outlets. everything works
fine, till one day you plug in a old radio and get shocked bad.

Posted to alt.home.repair

WOW, thanks everyone for the answers and comments!

The house was built in 1951. The home inspector has been through and
suggested these two items may be an issue. I've noticed home
inspectors tend to be a little more paranoid than necessary, which
comes with the job I'm sure.

The bathroom light switch seems to be up for debate, some say it's
safe or at least not an issue, others say to move it . . .
interesting.

The garage thing was a bad description and I don't know enough to be
very accurate. There is 110 and 220 going out to the garage. All the
lights, garage door, outlets, etc (110) are controlled by a (visibly)
normal light switch in the house. I can't tell if the 220 is
controlled by the same switch. The inspector said this could be a
problem. I don't want to pile this on our list if there isn't anything
wrong with this setup. In fact it may be convenient if I forget to
shut off the lights or something

Sorry my post was a little vague. I know almost nothing about
electrical systems. Just so you know the depth of my knowledge, the
inspector is the one who told me there was 220 going out to the
garage, i hadn't noticed.

Anyway, I appreciate all of your comments. Have a great day!

Ryan

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 12:27:58 -0700 (PDT), Ryan
wrote:

The bathroom light switch seems to be up for debate, some say it's
safe or at least not an issue, others say to move it . . .
interesting.

If the inspector said it could be an issue, then obviously he is
correct.

Most slight switches are installed inside the room on the latch side
of the door. If this is not located inside the shower, I can't see,
from here, how it could be an issue.

I guess if someone decided they wanted to take a bath/shower in the
dark, and to use the switch from inside the shower........then maybe.