Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default New House : Two Electrical Questions

On Jul 17, 6:41*pm, mm wrote:
On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 16:16:53 -0400, Jeff Wisnia

wrote:
Ryan wrote:
Hello everyone!

New to this group and thought I would give it a try.

We are looking at a new house and I wanted to get an opinion on two
things:

In one bathroom, the light switch is near the show. Is this dangerous?

Only if someone in the shower while the shower is running tries to
turn the light on or off. *Would anyone do that?

What can we do to correct this?

See if there's a GFCI breaker feeding that switch. If there isn't, you
probably should get one installed, but you may then run into that GFCI
annoying you by tripping off if the area around the switch gets splashed
with water.

I don't understand. *I thougtht a GFCI tripped if there was no ground
like there should be.

How would a GFI trip any more than a any breaker just because it got
wet?

Common misunderstanding about 'grounds' and GFCIs. The so called GFCI
shoul be better named!
GFCIs operate (to disconnect and protect the circuit) when there is an
unbalance in the current flowing in the live and neutral wires through
the GFCI outlet.
Such an unbalnce MAY be due to something grounding through, say a
human body, etc. hence the requirment they be used in damp locations,
such as the garden, bathrooms etc.
BTW this thread doesn't seem to nbe too clear.
Apparently it is not a NEW house???????
There is a switch in the bathroom near the shower? Either move it to
the opposite side of the wall (hopefully just outside the bathroom
door etc. and/or intercept the circuit somewhere BEFORE the switch and
insert a GFCI in that wiring (or change the circuit breaker for that
circuit to a GFCI type).
There is some sort of switch controlling everything in the
garage?????? Or everything that is 110 volts in the garage?
he reference to 220 volts is unclear. Is that a 220 volt cocvket for
say a dryer, or maybe a home welder owned by a previuos owner?
It's all very vague.