Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Advice for Clothes washer on second floor

Are there any resources online for get information on buying front- or
top-loading washers to be installed in a second floor location? I
just bought an LG front-loader that shakes the whole house even when
the spin speed is on Low. I even reinforced the floor with 3/4" maple
plywood and that solved the problem somewhat. I'm thinking I need to
buy a small washer and dryer.

Ed S.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Are there any resources online for get information on buying front- or
top-loading washers to be installed in a second floor location? I
just bought an LG front-loader that shakes the whole house even when
the spin speed is on Low. I even reinforced the floor with 3/4" maple
plywood and that solved the problem somewhat. I'm thinking I need to
buy a small washer and dryer.

Ed S.

Or just mount it on some damper pads. They work well IME back when we
lived in Chgo.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 7, 12:03*pm, "
wrote:
Are there any resources online for get information on buying front- or
top-loading washers to be installed in a second floor location? *I
just bought an LG front-loader that shakes the whole house even when
the spin speed is on Low. *I even reinforced the floor with 3/4" maple
plywood and that solved the problem somewhat. *I'm thinking I need to
buy a small washer and dryer.

Ed S.

Its under warranty, maybe its defective.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 7, 2:06*pm, ransley wrote:
On Jul 7, 12:03*pm, "
wrote:

Are there any resources online for get information on buying front- or
top-loading washers to be installed in a second floor location? *I
just bought an LG front-loader that shakes the whole house even when
the spin speed is on Low. *I even reinforced the floor with 3/4" maple
plywood and that solved the problem somewhat. *I'm thinking I need to
buy a small washer and dryer.

Ed S.

Its under warranty, maybe its defective.

you mean THE HOUSE ? hehe
ps. i would really consider moving to a brick house
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 7, 2:06*pm, ransley wrote:
On Jul 7, 12:03*pm, "
wrote:

Are there any resources online for get information on buying front- or
top-loading washers to be installed in a second floor location? *I
just bought an LG front-loader that shakes the whole house even when
the spin speed is on Low. *I even reinforced the floor with 3/4" maple
plywood and that solved the problem somewhat. *I'm thinking I need to
buy a small washer and dryer.

Ed S.

Its under warranty, maybe its defective.

Both the washer and dryer are going back. When I called LG the woman
repeated the warning four times that installation problems are not
covered. So I saw it coming, LG says Home Depot did not install the
washer correctly and Home Depot says the LG washer is defective and
I'm stuck with a $1,000 piece of crap. Plus I called the Home Depot
store today 4 times and the phone rang over 50 times for each call and
I was disconnected once when I finally got a live person.

The washer has been getting worse with each wash we do. The last 2
loads rattled the house, the kitchen, my PC's, and things in a clothes
closet I didn't think could rattle.

It's a huge cliche but you can't get customer service antwhere after
the sale.

Thank you,

Ed S.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 7 Jul 2008 10:03:41 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Are there any resources online for get information on buying front- or
top-loading washers to be installed in a second floor location? I
just bought an LG front-loader that shakes the whole house even when
the spin speed is on Low. I even reinforced the floor with 3/4" maple
plywood and that solved the problem somewhat. I'm thinking I need to
buy a small washer and dryer.

Ed S.

Make sure your washer is level all the way around. Sometimes my
washer "shakes the house," but then only if the load is off balance.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Jul 7, 2:06 pm, ransley wrote:

On Jul 7, 12:03 pm, "
wrote:

[...]

Now you know why what a farmer brings his cows to a bull for is called,
"service".

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

I have an LG washer. LGs use extra high speed to spin dry the clothes, if
the laundry is off center this can induce a lot of vibration if is not
installed correctly on a solid floor, especially if they are mid span of the
joists instead of over a support wall and if the joists have been weakened
by cutting the drainage lines through them.

One word of advice, before you buy, always look up the manufacturer's web
site and download the installation manual. If you did this you will see that
they do not recommend installing them on second floors because of vibration.

Actually, installing a washer on a second floor is an invitation to
disaster. There is no way that any machine will be vibration free. Water
leaks and drain overflows in a laundry room because mostly the machines are
run unattended, can cause water damage throughout the house.

Mine are installed in the basement.

wrote in message
Are there any resources online for get information on buying front- or
top-loading washers to be installed in a second floor location? I
just bought an LG front-loader that shakes the whole house even when
the spin speed is on Low. I even reinforced the floor with 3/4" maple
plywood and that solved the problem somewhat. I'm thinking I need to
buy a small washer and dryer.

Ed S.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 7, 1:03�pm, "
wrote:
Are there any resources online for get information on buying front- or
top-loading washers to be installed in a second floor location? �I
just bought an LG front-loader that shakes the whole house even when
the spin speed is on Low. �I even reinforced the floor with 3/4" maple
plywood and that solved the problem somewhat. �I'm thinking I need to
buy a small washer and dryer.

Ed S.

I would be more concerned that one day a burst hose or machine
malfunction could bring down a cieling. time for a drip tray and auto
solenoid valve set.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 7, 2:41*pm, wrote:
On Jul 7, 2:06*pm, ransley wrote:

On Jul 7, 12:03*pm, "
wrote:

Are there any resources online for get information on buying front- or
top-loading washers to be installed in a second floor location? *I
just bought an LG front-loader that shakes the whole house even when
the spin speed is on Low. *I even reinforced the floor with 3/4" maple
plywood and that solved the problem somewhat. *I'm thinking I need to
buy a small washer and dryer.

Ed S.

Its under warranty, maybe its defective.

you mean *THE HOUSE *? *hehe
ps. i would really consider moving to a brick house

I grew up in row houses in South Philadelphia. The first home I
bought after I got married was a row home (end Unit), which we lived
in for 12 years. Then we got the suburbs sickness. I miss that
security of brick and huge oak joists. Now the prices of row houses
are through the roof as boomers leave the suburbs and move back to the
cities.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 7, 1:55*pm, "
wrote:
On Jul 7, 2:06*pm, ransley wrote:

On Jul 7, 12:03*pm, "
wrote:

[...]

Email HD corporate, you will have better luck as corporate knows HD
needs customers. I handle my complaints with HD by email.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Samsung (VTR) is supposed to be one the quieter washers out there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Are there any resources online for get information on buying front- or
top-loading washers to be installed in a second floor location? *I
just bought an LG front-loader that shakes the whole house even when
the spin speed is on Low. *I even reinforced the floor with 3/4" maple
plywood and that solved the problem somewhat. *I'm thinking I need to
buy a small washer and dryer.

Ed S.

Make sure your washer is level all the way around. * Sometimes my
washer "shakes the house," but then only if the load is off balance.

The washer is level, at least according to the levels I put on the 4
edges of the top. When the washer goes into the high spin the drum
wobbles a good 1 - 1.5". When the Home Depot Customer Care guy called
the manager of the store, he was told by the manager that LG does not
recommend putting a washer on a standard floor, especially a second
floor. I asked that question specifically before I bought the washer.

I'll buy a top loader again. I don't think there is anything I can do
short of a very expensive floor reinforcement from below and above -
ripping out floors and ceilings.

One problem manufacturers have is delivery people do not have the
skills to install and level a top-loading washer, and certainly not a
front-loader washer.

Ed S.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

And salespeople will say anything to get the sale. I know, because "I was
one" for 30 years. I personally never felt it honorable to lie just to make
money but what I overheard coming from other salespeople sometimes made me
emabarrased for my profession.

Tom G.

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Jul 7, 2:55*pm, "
wrote:
On Jul 7, 2:06*pm, ransley wrote:

On Jul 7, 12:03*pm, "
wrote:

[...]

I really don't mean to sound like an ass when I say this, but this is
what you get when you buy from Home Depot. That's about the last
place I would consider for any major purchases. their selection
sucks, their customer service sucks, and their "associates" are
mouthbreathing morons. I have no experience with having anything
installed by them simply because talking to their in-store employees
is enough to set off those alarm bells and warning signs that say
"these clowns have no idea what they're doing! You know more than
they do about the stuff they stock and sell!" The only reason I go
there is there's two of them between me and the nearest Lowe's, and
the good independent hardware stores for the most part close early and
aren't open on Sunday (when I often find I need something in the
middle of a project.) I certainly wouldn't go there if I had the
ability to plan ahead for a major purchase.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 7, 6:41*pm, "EXT" wrote:
[...]

My basement floor is below my sewer line. I run the washer on a tray
with a dedicated drain to the outside. It would take a major
remodelling to move the washer & dryer.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

I think Samsung claims their front loader is ultra vibration resistant.

I've had Maytag neptune front loader which I kept for 5 years and then gave
to my parents who have had it for 5 years. It was vibration free for the
most part. Consumer Reports says people had trouble with it but it was
great for us.

I now have a Whirlpool/kenmore which is a bit bigger than the Neptune. It
vibrates more than the Maytag did.

The Maytag had 2 interesting features to prevent vibration. It had a liquid
dampening system you could hear if you manually turned the tub. Sounded
like water in the tub..... it was water in some sealed spot.

And it had a custom molded cinderblock inside. The whirlpool just uses a
standard cinderblock counterweight.

WHirlpool now owns Maytag by the way.