Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom G Tom G is offline

Default Advice for Clothes washer on second floor

wrote in message
On Jul 7, 3:09 pm, Phisherman wrote:
On Mon, 7 Jul 2008 10:03:41 -0700 (PDT), "

wrote:
Are there any resources online for get information on buying front- or
top-loading washers to be installed in a second floor location? I
just bought an LG front-loader that shakes the whole house even when
the spin speed is on Low. I even reinforced the floor with 3/4" maple
plywood and that solved the problem somewhat. I'm thinking I need to
buy a small washer and dryer.

Ed S.

Make sure your washer is level all the way around. Sometimes my
washer "shakes the house," but then only if the load is off balance.

The washer is level, at least according to the levels I put on the 4
edges of the top. When the washer goes into the high spin the drum
wobbles a good 1 - 1.5". When the Home Depot Customer Care guy called
the manager of the store, he was told by the manager that LG does not
recommend putting a washer on a standard floor, especially a second
floor. I asked that question specifically before I bought the washer.

I'll buy a top loader again. I don't think there is anything I can do
short of a very expensive floor reinforcement from below and above -
ripping out floors and ceilings.

One problem manufacturers have is delivery people do not have the
skills to install and level a top-loading washer, and certainly not a
front-loader washer.

Ed S.

And salespeople will say anything to get the sale. I know, because "I was
one" for 30 years. I personally never felt it honorable to lie just to make
money but what I overheard coming from other salespeople sometimes made me
emabarrased for my profession.

Tom G.