Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller

Default Why is my clothes washer overflowing?

I have a GE WJSE4150 that is 2 years old.

Today it was filling for the wash cycle and water started coming down into
the basement from the laundry room above. I happened to be directly under
it when it happened, so I shut it off quickly.

I scooped all the water and clothes out and pulled it out. I expected to
find a damaged hose, but the hoses and the the drain were fine. I put the
clothes back in and ran spin and it worked fine. I then had it rinse. My
wife said the level got higher than normal, and it started to leak again. I
scooped some of the water out and ran spin and it drained normally.

It did not seem to leak either time until the machine was full of water;
though I cannot be absolutely sure of that. So, I "think" it is simply not
shutting off when filling, and overflowing.

So, what do I do here? Any help would be appreciated.

Last time I had an appliance problem someone here was kind enough to explain
how to replace a $5 fuse to avoid a $75 service call. I am hoping to get
that lucky again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default small update...

Did your wife fill it before she loaded it? It could be that simple -
she may have loaded it after the water level had gotten to a point
where putting the clothes in made it overflow. I did that myself once
or twice, but my washer is on a concrete basement floor, so no biggie.

Posted to alt.home.repair

When water doesn't stop filling when the machine is turned off or
unplugged, it is due to a malfunctioning fill valve. When water
overfills at other times, it is due to some aspect of the water level
control system. Pop the front of the machine off by inserting a putty
knife between the top and the front, about 2 inches from the edges,
pressing agains the clips to release the front, then rotate it forward
and off the clips at the bottom. Check the pressure hose for any
breakage where air can escape. If the tube is ok, make sure the other
end is connected to the pressure switch by opening up the control pane
via the screws at the top edge. If that is ok, remove the tube off the
nipple at the tub, and gently blow through it. If you don't hear a
sure click from within the pressure switch, replace the switch.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller

wrote in message
oups.com...
When water doesn't stop filling when the machine is turned off or
unplugged, it is due to a malfunctioning fill valve. When water
overfills at other times, it is due to some aspect of the water level
control system. Pop the front of the machine off by inserting a putty
knife between the top and the front, about 2 inches from the edges,
pressing agains the clips to release the front, then rotate it forward
and off the clips at the bottom. Check the pressure hose for any
breakage where air can escape. If the tube is ok, make sure the other
end is connected to the pressure switch by opening up the control pane
via the screws at the top edge. If that is ok, remove the tube off the
nipple at the tub, and gently blow through it. If you don't hear a
sure click from within the pressure switch, replace the switch.

It is overflowing when filling; it just doesn't shut off.

I took the front off.
The pressure hose looks fine, at least the part I can see.
I didn't take the back off the control pane, but blowing into the hose at
the bottom give a double click with a light blow, so I presume it is
connected and the hose is sound. Yes?

When I took the hose off the tube, there was stringy black gunk in, right
above the nipple. I took that out with a Qtip. Could that be the problem?
Is there anyway to open up the little box the hose connects to, to clean
that out?
Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Check this out for leak protection
FloodStopper
Providing 24x7 Protection Against Flooding Due To
Internal Plumbing Failures and Accidental Overflows
Now Available at
The-FloodStopper-Store on eBay

The FloodStopper™ System is a patented, high-tech water leak
detection system that provides 24x7 protections against flooding due to
internal plumbing failures and accidental overflows by automatically
shutting-off the water supply instantly upon detection of a leak. The
FloodStopper System is designed for use in Residential, Commercial, and
Industrial buildings and is available in valve sizes from ¾" to
10".

Insurance Industry records for 2002 indicate a total "Water Damage"
Claims Payout of $11,500,000,000.00. They also state that 68% or
$7,820,000,000.00 is Preventable by using a "Whole House Water
Shut-Off Device".

With over 12,000 FloodStoppers in the field;
not 1 claim has been made
that FloodStopper failed to detect a leak and shut-off the water.

The FloodStopper System consists of low-profile electronic sensors
(designed to blend into the décor of any facility), a user-friendly
control panel, and a Honeywell™ shut-off valve.

FloodStopper sensors are placed on the floor at points where leaks may
occur, such as water heaters, washrooms, sinks, washers, furnace,
boiler and pump rooms, storage areas, kitchens or near water-related
appliances and equipment throughout any residential, commercial, or
industrial facility. The sensors may either be hard-wired or, in areas
where access is difficult, wirelessly connected to the FloodStopper
System's control panel.

When a sensor detects moisture from a water leak, it signals the
control panel to instruct the system's Honeywell valve to instantly,
and automatically, shut off the water supply. The control panel also
emits a visual alarm to alert users to the shut-off. It can also
integrate with a monitored security alarm service if so connected. The
system can be manually reset at the control panel.

For more information, visit www.FloodStopper.US. When you realize the
Value, Level of Protection, and Peace of Mind that the FloodStopper
system can provide, please contact us.

I look forward to hearing from you and I can best be reached via e-mail
at

Best Regards,
Marc Cramer
SmartSensor Technologies, Inc.