Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller

Default Why is my clothes washer overflowing?

wrote in message
oups.com...
When water doesn't stop filling when the machine is turned off or
unplugged, it is due to a malfunctioning fill valve. When water
overfills at other times, it is due to some aspect of the water level
control system. Pop the front of the machine off by inserting a putty
knife between the top and the front, about 2 inches from the edges,
pressing agains the clips to release the front, then rotate it forward
and off the clips at the bottom. Check the pressure hose for any
breakage where air can escape. If the tube is ok, make sure the other
end is connected to the pressure switch by opening up the control pane
via the screws at the top edge. If that is ok, remove the tube off the
nipple at the tub, and gently blow through it. If you don't hear a
sure click from within the pressure switch, replace the switch.

It is overflowing when filling; it just doesn't shut off.

I took the front off.
The pressure hose looks fine, at least the part I can see.
I didn't take the back off the control pane, but blowing into the hose at
the bottom give a double click with a light blow, so I presume it is
connected and the hose is sound. Yes?

When I took the hose off the tube, there was stringy black gunk in, right
above the nipple. I took that out with a Qtip. Could that be the problem?
Is there anyway to open up the little box the hose connects to, to clean
that out?
Thanks.