Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default Advice for Clothes washer on second floor

I have an LG washer. LGs use extra high speed to spin dry the clothes, if
the laundry is off center this can induce a lot of vibration if is not
installed correctly on a solid floor, especially if they are mid span of the
joists instead of over a support wall and if the joists have been weakened
by cutting the drainage lines through them.

One word of advice, before you buy, always look up the manufacturer's web
site and download the installation manual. If you did this you will see that
they do not recommend installing them on second floors because of vibration.

Actually, installing a washer on a second floor is an invitation to
disaster. There is no way that any machine will be vibration free. Water
leaks and drain overflows in a laundry room because mostly the machines are
run unattended, can cause water damage throughout the house.

Mine are installed in the basement.

wrote in message
Are there any resources online for get information on buying front- or
top-loading washers to be installed in a second floor location? I
just bought an LG front-loader that shakes the whole house even when
the spin speed is on Low. I even reinforced the floor with 3/4" maple
plywood and that solved the problem somewhat. I'm thinking I need to
buy a small washer and dryer.

Ed S.