Posted to alt.home.repair
DA DA is offline

Default Basement bathroom - what maintenance needed?

Hi all,

I'm trying to buy a spec home with one of the nationwide builders. One of
their most expensive options is a full bathroom in the basement. I don't
really have any use for a bathtub in the basement but a powder room would
be nice. These guys are not very flexible in their options. it's either
bathtub or nothing.

So I'm trying to decide if I even need to bother with the whole plumbing
in the basement thing. I never had a bathroom below grade before. I
understand that there is a pump that has to be kept on all the time (or
when someone flushes?). If you have experience with this, please post here
about what upkeep is required for this setup. I guess, you can't send an
auger through it when it clogs either. So my main question is: "is it even
worth the trouble to have a bathroom in the basement?"

\//.
-------------------------------------

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DA" wrote in message
om...
[...]

It will require a small pit with a plastic tank and macerator pump. When you
use water, the pit fills and the pump turns on and empties it out your waste
pipe. They don't require maintenance until they fail. I would only do it, if
you have a need or believe it will help for resale

Posted to alt.home.repair
DA DA is offline

DA had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...ed-313908-.htm
:
Smitty Two wrote:

"is it even
worth the trouble to have a bathroom in the basement?"

//.

How the hell would anyone else know the extent to which *you* would
benefit from a bathroom in your basement? You win the stupid question
award of the day.

Oh, nice! I won something. No, I was inquiring about what's needed for
maintaining the equipment that runs the bathroom setup. I can take care of
deciding how badly I need another bathroom myself, thank you.

\//.
-------------------------------------

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lou Lou is offline

On Jun 20, 7:40 pm, (DA) wrote:
DA had written this in response tohttp://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Re-Basement-bathroom-what...
:

Smitty Two wrote:
"is it even
worth the trouble to have a bathroom in the basement?"

//.

How the hell would anyone else know the extent to which *you* would
benefit from a bathroom in your basement? You win the stupid question
award of the day.

Ever have a tornado close by?
A bathroom in the basement sure helps get through some
tense moments.
Lou

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...ed-313911-.htm
:
RBM wrote:

It will require a small pit with a plastic tank and macerator pump.
When you
use water, the pit fills and the pump turns on and empties it out your
waste
pipe. They don't require maintenance until they fail. I would only do
it, if
you have a need or believe it will help for resale

Thank you for your suggestions RBM. I am a little skeptical about things
that don't need maintenance. My upstairs bathroom does not have any
additional equipment such as the pump yet still needs periodic maintenance
due to clogging. So, I would follow your advise and skip the bathroom
since I'm not looking for resale (not in foreseeable future anyways) and
the need is not all that great.
Thanks again.

\//.
-------------------------------------

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
How the hell would anyone else know the extent to which *you* would
benefit from a bathroom in your basement? You win the stupid question
award of the day.

Take the time to consult with his urologist. Find out when he is due to
prep for a colonostomy. Then you can know to what extent he can benefit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DA" wrote in message

I'm trying to buy a spec home with one of the nationwide builders. One of
their most expensive options is a full bathroom in the basement. I don't
really have any use for a bathtub in the basement but a powder room would
be nice. These guys are not very flexible in their options. it's either
bathtub or nothing.

Much of that stuff is pre-fab and not easily changed. Cost of doing your
house different can cost more, even with less in it.

So I'm trying to decide if I even need to bother with the whole plumbing
in the basement thing. I never had a bathroom below grade before. I
understand that there is a pump that has to be kept on all the time (or
when someone flushes?).

Are you sure it is truly below grade? Do you know the elevation of the
septic or sewer lines? Do you have to walk up steps to the front door?

If you have experience with this, please post here
about what upkeep is required for this setup. I guess, you can't send an
auger through it when it clogs either. So my main question is: "is it even
worth the trouble to have a bathroom in the basement?"

\//.

Depends on how bad you have to pee or if there is someone else in the other
bathroom.

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...ed-314024-.htm
:

Lou wrote:

Ever have a tornado close by?

A bathroom in the basement sure helps get through some
tense moments.
Lou

Umm... I have been advised not to use the said bathroom in case of power
outage. I guess it can get real messy when the pump is not working LOL.

\//.
-------------------------------------

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...ed-314070-.htm
:

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Much of that stuff is pre-fab and not easily changed. Cost of doing
your
house different can cost more, even with less in it.

I realize that. Yet there is nothing they can pre-fabricate in a finished
basement because the entire space down there is an option and is
constructed on-site. I am guessing it the whole thing with the pump that
makes them insist the tub should stay 'cause it probably serves as an
overflow reservoir?

Are you sure it is truly below grade? Do you know the elevation of the
septic or sewer lines? Do you have to walk up steps to the front door?

The basement is below grade and you do have to go down 8' to get there.
I'm not sure what depth the public sewer is at but the pump is an integral
part of this option, so I guess the waste has to come up, no matter how
high.

Depends on how bad you have to pee or if there is someone else in the
other bathroom.

There are three more johns in the house :-)

Thanks!

\//.
-------------------------------------

Posted to alt.home.repair

So I'm trying to decide if I even need to bother with the whole plumbing
in the basement thing. I never had a bathroom below grade before. I
understand that there is a pump that has to be kept on all the time (or
when someone flushes?).

Since its a Nationwide builder and they re building "basement homes" I'm
guessing that the lots are set up for sewer. Given that the homes are
planned with a basement and bath down there, around here that means that the
sewer is below the level of the basement and a pump system wouldn't be
required. In Urban/suburbs this is the way it is here..to require a pump
etc would indicate the home is "out of town" where most big builders aren't
working and perhaps a septic system, neither of which works for big
builders, new developments here. No sewer, no basement say the local codes

Posted to alt.home.repair

DA wrote:
Hi all,

I'm trying to buy a spec home with one of the nationwide builders. (snip)

That is where you made your mistake. Go to a real builder, and they will
build whatever you want. Go to McDonalds, and you get it their way or no
way.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DA" wrote in message

Are you sure it is truly below grade? Do you know the elevation of the
septic or sewer lines? Do you have to walk up steps to the front door?

The basement is below grade and you do have to go down 8' to get there.
I'm not sure what depth the public sewer is at but the pump is an integral
part of this option, so I guess the waste has to come up, no matter how
high.

From the street, is the front door at the same level? I've seem thousands
of houses with "basements" that are actually about grade level and you still
have to go down 8 feet to get to them from inside, but the ground has been
graded up in the front. The back has a walk out basement. This makes it
easy to offer that basement yet have the utilities underground at a
reasonable depth.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DA wrote:
[...]

Hmm,
What pump? My full bathroom in the basement is seldom used. From now and
then I just run some water in the tub and sink to keep the water in the
trap.