Posted to alt.home.repair

Default connecting multi-strand to copper wire for lighting

Does anyone know the best way to connect a multi-strand wire to copper
wire?
This is for a recessed light in the ceiling of our top floor hallway.
Therefore the housing for the light is going in the attic/roof. The
housing itself includes the multi-strand wire, that I have to connect
the copper wire to that is fed in from the light switch.

Right now, I have used the screw on cone shaped type connectors (I
forget what they're called ... merriates????) but the connection does
not look that good - the multi-strand wire seems to fray quite easily.

Thx!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Does anyone know the best way to connect a multi-strand wire to copper
wire?
This is for a recessed light in the ceiling of our top floor hallway.
Therefore the housing for the light is going in the attic/roof. The
housing itself includes the multi-strand wire, that I have to connect
the copper wire to that is fed in from the light switch.

Right now, I have used the screw on cone shaped type connectors (I
forget what they're called ... merriates????) but the connection does
not look that good - the multi-strand wire seems to fray quite easily.

Thx!!

I believe the French word for wire nut is merat. You twist the stranded
wires around the solid wire in a clockwise rotation then twist the wire nut
on. Be sure you are using the correct size nut for the connection

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote in :

wrote in message
.
..
Does anyone know the best way to connect a multi-strand wire to
copper wire?
This is for a recessed light in the ceiling of our top floor hallway.
Therefore the housing for the light is going in the attic/roof. The
housing itself includes the multi-strand wire, that I have to connect
the copper wire to that is fed in from the light switch.

Right now, I have used the screw on cone shaped type connectors (I
forget what they're called ... merriates????) but the connection does
not look that good - the multi-strand wire seems to fray quite
easily.

Thx!!

I believe the French word for wire nut is merat. You twist the
stranded wires around the solid wire in a clockwise rotation then
twist the wire nut on. Be sure you are using the correct size nut for
the connection

Marrette® is a brand name of wire connector. Actually "Wire Nut" is a
brand name also, Ideal owns the trade name wire nut... It's like calling
a snowmobile a "ski-doo", ski-doo is a brand name. Either way, people
will know what your talking about.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 12:06:21 +0000, HaLiGoOn wrote:

"RBM" wrote in :

wrote in message
.
..
[...]

These are all eponyms.

Posted to alt.home.repair

franz fripplfrappl wrote in newsJxxj.59326$Pv2.28649
@newssvr23.news.prodigy.net:

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 12:06:21 +0000, HaLiGoOn wrote:

"RBM" wrote in news:47c6a109$0$15195

:

wrote in message

@x30g2000hsd.googlegroups.com.
..
[...]

There was a person named "wire nut"?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Does anyone know the best way to connect a multi-strand wire to copper
wire?
This is for a recessed light in the ceiling of our top floor hallway.
Therefore the housing for the light is going in the attic/roof. The
housing itself includes the multi-strand wire, that I have to connect
the copper wire to that is fed in from the light switch.

Right now, I have used the screw on cone shaped type connectors (I
forget what they're called ... merriates????) but the connection does
not look that good - the multi-strand wire seems to fray quite easily.

The best way is to twist the wires together with a pair of pliers so that
they make a tight connection before you screw on the wire connector. For
multiple wires twist each wire one at a time. It is also important to have
the correct size wire connector. Trim back the tip of the splice with wire
cutters if it is too long.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote in message

[...]

You don't remember his brothers Brazil and Pea?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 12:27:57 GMT, HaLiGoOn
wrote:

[snip]

Marrette is a brand name of wire connector. Actually "Wire Nut" is a
brand name also, Ideal owns the trade name wire nut... It's like
calling a snowmobile a "ski-doo", ski-doo is a brand name. Either
way, people will know what your talking about.

These are all eponyms.

There was a person named "wire nut"?

Where'd you come up with THAT?

Anyway, it's still funny.

Interestingly, there have been a few things in the local paper about
people getting electrocuted when trying to steal copper wire. Could
those be the "wire nuts"? :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry wrote in
:

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 12:27:57 GMT, HaLiGoOn
wrote:

[snip]

Marrette is a brand name of wire connector. Actually "Wire Nut" is

brand name also, Ideal owns the trade name wire nut... It's like
calling a snowmobile a "ski-doo", ski-doo is a brand name.

Either
way, people will know what your talking about.

These are all eponyms.

There was a person named "wire nut"?

Where'd you come up with THAT?

Anyway, it's still funny.

Interestingly, there have been a few things in the local paper about
people getting electrocuted when trying to steal copper wire. Could
those be the "wire nuts"? :-)

"These are all eponyms"

I had to look that word up.

"An eponym is a word derived from someone's name."

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"Harry" wrote in message
On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 12:27:57 GMT, HaLiGoOn
wrote:

[snip]

Marrette is a brand name of wire connector. Actually "Wire Nut" is a
brand name also, Ideal owns the trade name wire nut... It's like
calling a snowmobile a "ski-doo", ski-doo is a brand name. Either
way, people will know what your talking about.

These are all eponyms.

There was a person named "wire nut"?

Where'd you come up with THAT?

Anyway, it's still funny.

Interestingly, there have been a few things in the local paper about
people getting electrocuted when trying to steal copper wire. Could
those be the "wire nuts"? :-)

Certainly applies to a guy around here who was found fried on top of a
transformer in a distribution transformer station. The power went out, when
the service people arrived they found him on top of the transformer, he was
trying to steal copper from the live high voltage equipment and electrocuted
himself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 16:01:04 GMT, HaLiGoOn
wrote:

Harry wrote in
:

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 12:27:57 GMT, HaLiGoOn
wrote:

[snip]

Marrette is a brand name of wire connector. Actually "Wire Nut" is

brand name also, Ideal owns the trade name wire nut... It's like
calling a snowmobile a "ski-doo", ski-doo is a brand name.

Either
way, people will know what your talking about.

These are all eponyms.

There was a person named "wire nut"?

Where'd you come up with THAT?

Anyway, it's still funny.

Interestingly, there have been a few things in the local paper about
people getting electrocuted when trying to steal copper wire. Could
those be the "wire nuts"? :-)

"These are all eponyms"

I had to look that word up.

"An eponym is a word derived from someone's name."

Headline:

EPONYMS STEAL COPPER WIRE

:-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 09:08:39 -0800, edbedb wrote:

wrote:
Does anyone know the best way to connect a multi-strand wire to copper
wire?

Yes, someone knows.

This is for a recessed light in the ceiling of our top floor hallway.
Therefore the housing for the light is going in the attic/roof. The
housing itself includes the multi-strand wire, that I have to connect
the copper wire to that is fed in from the light switch.

Right now, I have used the screw on cone shaped type connectors (I
forget what they're called ... merriates????) but the connection does
not look that good - the multi-strand wire seems to fray quite easily.

Thx!!

Wire nuts. Smallest size that will hold a 14 ga solid wire.
ighly twist the strands of the stranded. Then using serious linesmens'
pliers,
twist the stranded and the 14 ga feeder, then wire nut the two.

What if you have a copper feeder, and TWO stranded wires?
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent
force for atheism ever conceived." -- Isaac Asimov
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mark Lloyd" wrote in message Wire nuts.
Smallest size that will hold a 14 ga solid wire.
ighly twist the strands of the stranded. Then using serious linesmens'
pliers,
twist the stranded and the 14 ga feeder, then wire nut the two.

What if you have a copper feeder, and TWO stranded wires?
--
Mark Lloyd

Wire nuts are usually rated for a range of conductors and their size. The
ones I use do not require twisting the wires first. just lay them side by
side and screw the wire nut on .

It is no problem to put 3 or 4 wires in the same wire nut if it is the
proper size.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark Lloyd wrote:

What if you have a copper feeder, and TWO stranded wires?

is there an intelligent or intelligible question somewhere in Mr.
Lloyd's post?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 14:30:32 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

"Mark Lloyd" wrote in message Wire nuts.
Smallest size that will hold a 14 ga solid wire.
ighly twist the strands of the stranded. Then using serious linesmens'
pliers,
twist the stranded and the 14 ga feeder, then wire nut the two.

What if you have a copper feeder, and TWO stranded wires?
--
Mark Lloyd

Wire nuts are usually rated for a range of conductors and their size. The
ones I use do not require twisting the wires first. just lay them side by
side and screw the wire nut on .

It is no problem to put 3 or 4 wires in the same wire nut if it is the
proper size.

Too simple for you?

I was asking about connecting TWO stranded wires to one solid one
using a wire nut.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent
force for atheism ever conceived." -- Isaac Asimov

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Mark Lloyd" wrote in message Wire nuts.
Smallest size that will hold a 14 ga solid wire.
ighly twist the strands of the stranded. Then using serious linesmens'
pliers,
twist the stranded and the 14 ga feeder, then wire nut the two.

What if you have a copper feeder, and TWO stranded wires?
--
Mark Lloyd

Wire nuts are usually rated for a range of conductors and their size. The
ones I use do not require twisting the wires first. just lay them side by
side and screw the wire nut on .

It is no problem to put 3 or 4 wires in the same wire nut if it is the
proper size.

Too simple for you?

I was asking about connecting TWO stranded wires to one solid one
using a wire nut.

Twist each stranded wire over the solid one at a time using pliers. Get the
first layer good and tight before twisting on the next one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

EXT wrote:

Certainly applies to a guy around here who was found fried on top of a
transformer in a distribution transformer station. The power went out, when
the service people arrived they found him on top of the transformer, he was
trying to steal copper from the live high voltage equipment and electrocuted
himself.

An obvious candidate for the "Darwin Awards"

--
bud--

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark Lloyd wrote:

What if you have a copper feeder, and TWO stranded wires?

..
Doesn't sound like that much problem. I use wire nuts with a 'live
spring'. The spring doesn't have plastic right behind it and deforms
over the wires making a more secure connection (IMHO). If you take a
wire nut off that has been tightened you can see the deformation. (Far
as I know these don't exist in a size smaller than yellow.)

Use wire combinations the manufacturer indicates are in the capability
of the wire nut. As suggested elsewhere I extend stranded wires slightly
past solid.

IMHO 2 #12 solids and a stranded #18 is a bigger problem - the #18 can
sit in the 'valley' between the solids. I twist the solids and keep the
smaller wire straight.

--
bud--
Posted to alt.home.repair
TKM TKM is offline

"bud--" wrote in message
.. .
Mark Lloyd wrote:

What if you have a copper feeder, and TWO stranded wires?

.
Doesn't sound like that much problem. I use wire nuts with a 'live
spring'. The spring doesn't have plastic right behind it and deforms over
the wires making a more secure connection (IMHO). If you take a wire nut
off that has been tightened you can see the deformation. (Far as I know
these don't exist in a size smaller than yellow.)

Use wire combinations the manufacturer indicates are in the capability of
the wire nut. As suggested elsewhere I extend stranded wires slightly past
solid.

IMHO 2 #12 solids and a stranded #18 is a bigger problem - the #18 can sit
in the 'valley' between the solids. I twist the solids and keep the
smaller wire straight.

--
bud--

A nice tight wire nut connection has always worked for me even with a
mixture of solid and stranded wires and I've taken the connections apart
several times afterward to make sure there was good contact area. I agree
that pre-twisting the solids helps. In earlier days, I just soldered the
bundle and put a wire nut over the top for insulation.

TKM