Posted to alt.home.repair

Default connecting multi-strand to copper wire for lighting

wrote in message
Does anyone know the best way to connect a multi-strand wire to copper
wire?
This is for a recessed light in the ceiling of our top floor hallway.
Therefore the housing for the light is going in the attic/roof. The
housing itself includes the multi-strand wire, that I have to connect
the copper wire to that is fed in from the light switch.

Right now, I have used the screw on cone shaped type connectors (I
forget what they're called ... merriates????) but the connection does
not look that good - the multi-strand wire seems to fray quite easily.

The best way is to twist the wires together with a pair of pliers so that
they make a tight connection before you screw on the wire connector. For
multiple wires twist each wire one at a time. It is also important to have
the correct size wire connector. Trim back the tip of the splice with wire
cutters if it is too long.