Posted to alt.home.repair
TKM TKM is offline

Default connecting multi-strand to copper wire for lighting

"bud--" wrote in message
.. .
Mark Lloyd wrote:

What if you have a copper feeder, and TWO stranded wires?

.
Doesn't sound like that much problem. I use wire nuts with a 'live
spring'. The spring doesn't have plastic right behind it and deforms over
the wires making a more secure connection (IMHO). If you take a wire nut
off that has been tightened you can see the deformation. (Far as I know
these don't exist in a size smaller than yellow.)

Use wire combinations the manufacturer indicates are in the capability of
the wire nut. As suggested elsewhere I extend stranded wires slightly past
solid.

IMHO 2 #12 solids and a stranded #18 is a bigger problem - the #18 can sit
in the 'valley' between the solids. I twist the solids and keep the
smaller wire straight.

--
bud--

A nice tight wire nut connection has always worked for me even with a
mixture of solid and stranded wires and I've taken the connections apart
several times afterward to make sure there was good contact area. I agree
that pre-twisting the solids helps. In earlier days, I just soldered the
bundle and put a wire nut over the top for insulation.

TKM