Posted to alt.home-theater.misc, sci.electronics.misc, sci.electronics.repair

Default Difficulty inserting multi-strand wire into holes in HTIB

My house is pre-wired for 5.1 surround sound with what seems to be
good quality multi-strand wires.

My "home theater in a box" receives these wires at the back of the sub-
woofer into small holes with some clip-like plastic things. (I am sure
you have seen them on most of the audio equipment especially where AM/
FM antennae wires go into.)

Last time when I put everything together it took me hours to put these
wires into those holes because they just don't go in well. I had to
dismantle everything last week as we were getting some work done on
the house. Now, I am struggling to reconnect everything. Just when I
think I did put the wires in and flip the clip, they come out with a
mild pull. And there is this annoying fibre (probably from the
sheathing) that comes in the way. Cutting the wires is not an option
as there isn't much length of wire left.

What do you all do in this situation? (I couldn't find much on the
Internet - probably I am not using the correct key words.)

Thanks for you time and help.
Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
[...]

Well, if the wire that's in the house walls is not a good fit for the
speaker connectors, and it's on the short side to allow you much access
anyway, if it were me, I would extend the wires using choc block (barrier
strip) or similar, and make the new tails from a more 'appropriate' type of
speaker cable, that did fit the connectors ok. If you Google "choc block" in
the 'Images' tab, the very first picture is a good one, in case you're not
sure what type of connector that I'm referring to.

If you do extend the wires, make sure that you preserve any polarity
markings - such as a stripe down one wire, or one wire having a gold core,
whilst the other is silver - as it is important when connecting the
speakers, that the phasing of the speakers between channels is got right,
otherwise, the stereo (surround) image will be woolly and poorly defined,
and lacking in main-channel bass. The phasing of the sub with respect to the
other channels, is relatively unimportant.

Arfa

On Jan 28, 10:46*am, wrote:
[...]

If you have the available diameter, try tinning the ends of the leads.
The lumpiness will increase the 'grab' of the clip as well as manage
the loose strands. There are also crimp-on connectors to do the trick,
but more of a PITA to install.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA
Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 07:46:30 -0800 (PST), wrote:

[...]

Here's a novel idea: buy some wire and replace it - or get some
inline crimp splices from the auto parts section of a store and use it
to add terminal wires.

There is a connector made for the purpose - looks like a test lead
end. I use binding posts on the amp and terminate the wire in a
copper nail (sold in a hardware store as marine rivets). I cut the
heads off, solder the stranded wire to the nail, and add some
heatshrink to it.

If you were to use an ordinary tin plated wire brad or finishing nail
it would probably be OK unless you have a killer stereo and golden
ears.
Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

:
[...]

What you probably need are wire-end or bootlace ferrules
http://www.specialtycontrol.com/Prod...ules/index.cfm

You will need a crimping tool to make a good quality crimp so that the pin will
fit into the connector but some people get by with other methods.

Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

Ross Herbert wrote:

[...]

Still got short wires though.

Personally I'd mount a nice (but not audiophool) set of binding posts on
a blank electrical faceplate, trim the frayed ends off the wires,
connect them permanently to the back of the faceplate. Wall mount it and
then use off the reel speaker cable to complete the hookup.

I wouldn't trust the clips on the speakers to handle bootlace ferrules,
they rely on the wire being soft enough to give as you flick the clip.

Dressing the end neatly, twisting it together smoothly and soldering the
tip so it doesnt untwist (last 1/16" ONLY) is what I always used to do
for our shop customers and noone ever came back with a complaint.

[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & 32K emails -- NUL:
Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

Ross Herbert wrote:

[...]

Those are the things that I mentioned.... Just couldn't remember the
name for then.

--
Regards:
Baron.
Posted to alt.home-theater.misc, sci.electronics.misc, sci.electronics.repair

Thank you all for your suggestions and insights. I bought the
following terminal strip.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

I don't do much electrical / electronics work so I don't have the
necessary tools such as soldering iron and crimping tool. (Obviously,
I don't want to buy them as there is no future need.)

I will try to put everything together tonight or over the few days
(want to involve our 9-year old). I will feedback only if I encounter
some hurdles. Otherwise, you may assume things went well.

Thanks again for your time.

Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
Thank you all for your suggestions and insights. I bought the
following terminal strip.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

Yep, that's the stuff I recommended

I don't do much electrical / electronics work so I don't have the
necessary tools such as soldering iron and crimping tool. (Obviously,
I don't want to buy them as there is no future need.)

Just a screwdriver and a pair of small sharp cutters for stripping the wire,
is all you should need,

I will try to put everything together tonight or over the few days
(want to involve our 9-year old). I will feedback only if I encounter
some hurdles. Otherwise, you may assume things went well.

Just remember to preserve the polarities of the wires to continue to get
crisp well defined stereo / surround images from your speakers.

Arfa

Thanks again for your time.

Posted to alt.home-theater.misc, sci.electronics.misc, sci.electronics.repair

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

One of the easiest ways to solve splayed stranded wire it to lightly tin
the wire with solder, in effect turning the stranded wires into s solid,
more easily controlled single conductor. Hope this helps.

--
Message posted using http://www.talkaboutelectronicequipm...ronics.repair/
More information at http://www.talkaboutelectronicequipment.com/faq.html

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 19:38:41 -0600, "JDandy" wrote:

:One of the easiest ways to solve splayed stranded wire it to lightly tin
:the wire with solder, in effect turning the stranded wires into s solid,
:more easily controlled single conductor. Hope this helps.

That technique will do at a pinch but it is frowned upon by anyone who knows
anything about conductors and cables.

The problem with tinning the stranded ends of a flexible conductor to make it
easier to fit into one of these speaker terminal clips is that the solder runs
back to a point where a rigid flexing point is created. Any prolonged movement
or flexing of the conductor near that point will cause it to fracture at the
point where the solder has run back to (the solid to flexible interface point).
I have seen this happen more often than I care to remember.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ross Herbert wrote:
On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 19:38:41 -0600, "JDandy" wrote:

:One of the easiest ways to solve splayed stranded wire it to lightly tin
:the wire with solder, in effect turning the stranded wires into s solid,
:more easily controlled single conductor. Hope this helps.

That technique will do at a pinch but it is frowned upon by anyone who knows
anything about conductors and cables.

The problem with tinning the stranded ends of a flexible conductor to make it
easier to fit into one of these speaker terminal clips is that the solder runs
back to a point where a rigid flexing point is created. Any prolonged movement
or flexing of the conductor near that point will cause it to fracture at the
point where the solder has run back to (the solid to flexible interface point).
I have seen this happen more often than I care to remember.

Which is why you only tin the very tip. The soldered portion lets you
get the wire in, but the clip actually bites on the untinned flexible
stranded part of the wire end so the fatigue issue you so clearly
describe never becomes a problem.

The OTHER problem with fully tinned ends is with screw terminals. The
solder tends to cold flow under pressure and this loosens the wire under
the clamping screw sooner or later leading to a bad contact.

[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & 32K emails -- NUL:
Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 06:49:17 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Thank you all for your suggestions and insights. I bought the
following terminal strip.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

I don't do much electrical / electronics work so I don't have the
necessary tools such as soldering iron and crimping tool. (Obviously,
I don't want to buy them as there is no future need.)

I will try to put everything together tonight or over the few days
(want to involve our 9-year old). I will feedback only if I encounter
some hurdles. Otherwise, you may assume things went well.

Thanks again for your time.

A pliers or vise grip pliers will do an adequate job of crimping. A
set of small needle nose, round nose, and diagonal cutters will set
you back all of about $5 at Walmart in the crafts section.

The space where the handles come together, close to the cutting head,
on ordinary diagonal cutters will also work depending on size of
cutter and terminal.

It ain't rocket science to figure out a way to crimp wire terminals. I
wouldn't be a bit surprised that it could be done with a pair of
rocks.

It only takes a single strand of wire bridging the output to fry some
amps. If you do add wire a good technique is to stagger the joints -
one long one short - makes the splice smaller and lowers the chance of
a short.
Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

I don't do much electrical / electronics work so I don't have the
necessary tools such as soldering iron and crimping tool. (Obviously,
I don't want to buy them as there is no future need.)

It never hurts to have a few tools around. A cheap soldering iron and a
small roll of solder will cost maybe 10-15 bucks, if it really takes you
hours to get all the wires back in, I would think the investment would pay
off several times over even if you only use it once.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 12:56:15 +0000, Ian Malcolm
wrote:

:Ross Herbert wrote:
[...]

I see what you are getting at, and yes, I agree that just soldering the tips
will be a good solution. However, most inexperienced "solderers" don't tend to
be all that circumspect when applying solder in a judicious manner - it just
runs so fast.

:
:The OTHER problem with fully tinned ends is with screw terminals. The
:solder tends to cold flow under pressure and this loosens the wire under
:the clamping screw sooner or later leading to a bad contact.

Entirely agree.
Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

If the system uses spring clips I doubt you would notice any difference in
sound quality if you just extended the wires. I would do it by soldering a
new length on and using a heat shrink sleeve to cover the joint.

The alternative would be to fit speaker sockets on the wall.