Posted to alt.home.repair
DA DA is offline

Default Brand new bathroom fan making whining noise - any remedy?

Hi all,

Wanted to see if someone can suggest what to do. A brand new (two weeks
old) bathroom fan (supposedly low-noise variety) started making rather
loud whining noises. On and off but lately more often on than off.

What could the cause be and what can I do about it? The mounting bracket
seems to be solidly mounted, nothing is visually loose or anything I can
tell by just looking at it. I would guess a brand new impeller should not
have gotten so badly out of balance so quickly.

Any idea, suggestion or comment on the subject is greatly appreciated.

\//.
-------------------------------------

Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

On Feb 6, 10:45*pm, (DA) wrote:
Hi all,

Wanted to see if someone can suggest what to do. A brand new (two weeks
old) bathroom fan (supposedly low-noise variety) started making rather
loud whining noises. On and off but lately more often on than off.

What could the cause be and what can I do about it? The mounting bracket
seems to be solidly mounted, nothing is visually loose or anything I can
tell by just looking at it. I would guess a brand new impeller should not
have gotten so badly out of balance so quickly.

Any idea, suggestion or comment on the subject is greatly appreciated.

\//.
-------------------------------------

Delivered via *http://www.thestuccocompany.com/

I would not pack around with a brand new product - bring it back for a
refund.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DA" wrote in message
om...
Hi all,

Wanted to see if someone can suggest what to do. A brand new (two weeks
old) bathroom fan (supposedly low-noise variety) started making rather
loud whining noises. On and off but lately more often on than off.

What could the cause be and what can I do about it? The mounting bracket
seems to be solidly mounted, nothing is visually loose or anything I can
tell by just looking at it. I would guess a brand new impeller should not
have gotten so badly out of balance so quickly.

Any idea, suggestion or comment on the subject is greatly appreciated.

Probably a bad bearing. Take it back and trade up to a better brand. This
one is already crap. .

Posted to alt.home.repair
DA DA is offline

DA had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...dy-286486-.htm
:
S. Barker wrote:

take it back. simple solution. get another.

Well, I would do that in a heartbeat if it was not for a thing that took
couple hours to install and will take at least half as much to take down
and, probably most significantly, the bracket (or cage rather - what's the
right term?) had to be bent to accommodate the smaller size of the rafter
than what the designers envisioned. Nothing that would make it rub against
the impeller or anything like that, a rather small bend of the end
opposite to the impeller and the motor. But I'm not even sure Lowes would
even want the thing back now that it's out of shape.

\//.
-------------------------------------

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
t...

"DA" wrote in message
om...
Hi all,

Wanted to see if someone can suggest what to do. A brand new (two weeks
old) bathroom fan (supposedly low-noise variety) started making rather
loud whining noises. On and off but lately more often on than off.

What could the cause be and what can I do about it? The mounting bracket
seems to be solidly mounted, nothing is visually loose or anything I can
tell by just looking at it. I would guess a brand new impeller should not
have gotten so badly out of balance so quickly.

Any idea, suggestion or comment on the subject is greatly appreciated.

Probably a bad bearing. Take it back and trade up to a better brand.
This one is already crap.

Or it just might not be installed properly. If not perfectly level it should
mess up a cheap bearing that would have otherwise lasted years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DA" wrote in message
om...
Hi all,

Wanted to see if someone can suggest what to do. A brand new (two weeks
old) bathroom fan (supposedly low-noise variety) started making rather
loud whining noises. On and off but lately more often on than off.

What could the cause be and what can I do about it? The mounting bracket
seems to be solidly mounted, nothing is visually loose or anything I can
tell by just looking at it. I would guess a brand new impeller should not
have gotten so badly out of balance so quickly.

Any idea, suggestion or comment on the subject is greatly appreciated.

What make and model number are you referring to? Check to make sure that
the backdraft damper is opening freely. If there is a backdraft damper on
the outside vent, you should check that as well. Did you use flex hose or
solid duct for the venting?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DA" wrote in message

opposite to the impeller and the motor. But I'm not even sure Lowes would
even want the thing back now that it's out of shape.

Get the next one from an electric supply house. Lowes does not carry the
best.
Take a look at these
http://www.designerhardware.com/Sear...FQtjHgod4nv8Xg

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...dy-286509-.htm
:
Calab wrote:

Or it just might not be installed properly. If not perfectly level it
should
mess up a cheap bearing that would have otherwise lasted years.

I think you are onto something here! I know for a fact that it is NOT
perfectly level due to the alteration I had to do to the bracket. This is
the first thing I'm going to correct and see if it makes any difference.

Thanks!

\//.
-------------------------------------

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...dy-286519-.htm
:
John Grabowski wrote:

What make and model number are you referring to? Check to make sure
that
the backdraft damper is opening freely. If there is a backdraft damper
on
the outside vent, you should check that as well. Did you use flex hose
or
solid duct for the venting?

Mine is Broan® 80CFM 2.5 Sone Bath Fan
I wish I can see if the damper is opening freely. I will try to check on
the damper but the whining noise is actually changing all the time,
sometimes rhythmic sometimes sporadic. Could it be because the resistance
of the air changes due to damper closing and opening?

I used a flex hose. This was a retrofit, so I just unplugged the hose from
the old fan and plugged it into (onto, actually) the new one. Generous
amount of duct tape was applied. I hope I did not over-tighten the spot
where the damper is. Think it's worth checking on?

\//.
-------------------------------------

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...dy-286517-.htm
:
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Get the next one from an electric supply house. Lowes does not carry
the
best.
Take a look at these

http://www.designerhardware.com/Sear...FQtjHgod4nv8Xg

Yeah, man! I should have posted here before buying the thing at Lowes, no
kidding.

This Panasonic Fan Low-Profile WhisperFit 50CFM is EXACTLY what I needed
because of my small 2x6 joists. Could have saved an hour trying to fit the
bracket designed for 2x8 (or larger). And 0.3 sonos is just an insult for
me because I specifically wanted a quiet one (50CFM would have been just
fine) and thought 2.5 sonos I'm getting from the Broan was close to the
quietest you can get...

Thanks for the link, Edwin. Gotta go now think about how to explain the
better half why I need $123 + S/H for a (yet another) new fan :-)

\//.

Posted to alt.home.repair

om...
John Grabowski wrote:

[...]

You should be able to remove the motor and fan blade component and then be
able to see and feel the internal damper. Did you keep the flex hose to a
minimum length or is there a lot of slack? The flex can add some resistance
to the air flow.

2.5 sones is not extremely quiet. Some of the Panasonic fans are under one
sone and are very quiet.