Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Brand new bathroom fan making whining noise - any remedy?

"DA" wrote in message
om...
Hi all,

Wanted to see if someone can suggest what to do. A brand new (two weeks
old) bathroom fan (supposedly low-noise variety) started making rather
loud whining noises. On and off but lately more often on than off.

What could the cause be and what can I do about it? The mounting bracket
seems to be solidly mounted, nothing is visually loose or anything I can
tell by just looking at it. I would guess a brand new impeller should not
have gotten so badly out of balance so quickly.

Any idea, suggestion or comment on the subject is greatly appreciated.

What make and model number are you referring to? Check to make sure that
the backdraft damper is opening freely. If there is a backdraft damper on
the outside vent, you should check that as well. Did you use flex hose or
solid duct for the venting?