Posted to alt.home.repair
DA DA is offline

Default Brand new bathroom fan making whining noise - any remedy?

DA had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...dy-286519-.htm
:
John Grabowski wrote:

What make and model number are you referring to? Check to make sure
that
the backdraft damper is opening freely. If there is a backdraft damper
on
the outside vent, you should check that as well. Did you use flex hose
or
solid duct for the venting?

Mine is Broan® 80CFM 2.5 Sone Bath Fan
I wish I can see if the damper is opening freely. I will try to check on
the damper but the whining noise is actually changing all the time,
sometimes rhythmic sometimes sporadic. Could it be because the resistance
of the air changes due to damper closing and opening?

I used a flex hose. This was a retrofit, so I just unplugged the hose from
the old fan and plugged it into (onto, actually) the new one. Generous
amount of duct tape was applied. I hope I did not over-tighten the spot
where the damper is. Think it's worth checking on?

\//.