Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Snow

Just had our first 15" snow out here in years. Used my trusty M Wards 30 yr
old 2 stage to clear 100' drive .All was OK except machine kept clogging . I
tried white grease, silicone, soap in the past. Not to good. Any
suggestions?
Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Frank" wrote in message
. ..
Just had our first 15" snow out here in years. Used my trusty M Wards 30

yr
old 2 stage to clear 100' drive .All was OK except machine kept clogging .

tried white grease, silicone, soap in the past. Not to good. Any
suggestions?
Frank

a good wax job and plow in first gear, stopping often to let it clear out.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"Mike Dobony" wrote in message

. ..

.

tried white grease, silicone, soap in the past. Not to good. Any
suggestions?
Frank

a good wax job and plow in first gear, stopping often to let it clear out.

Yes, all of the above, you may also have some rust that is causing drag.
Sometimes it is not the fault of the snow blower, sometimes you have heavy
wet snow at exactly the freezing point, once the snow blower starts moving
it around at high speeds the snow starts to stiffen up and semi freeze like
a slushie. When this happens, all you can do is try not to load up the
blower by taking smaller slices of the snow, and be prepared for lots of
cleaning out.

It is sort of like the first grass mowing of the spring season, where the
grass is long, wet, juicy and clogs the mower every few feet. Don't you
wish!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 1, 10:54*am, "Frank" wrote:
Just had our first 15" snow out here in years. Used my trusty M Wards 30 yr
old 2 stage to clear 100' drive .All was OK except machine kept clogging . I
tried white grease, silicone, soap in the past. Not to good. Any
suggestions?
* * * * * * * * Frank

Call around for a product called Slip Plate common at farm stores, its
a teflon type spray that really works even on your mower to keep grass
from sticking, and your snow shovel.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Frank" wrote:

Just had our first 15" snow out here in years. Used my trusty M Wards 30 yr
old 2 stage to clear 100' drive .All was OK except machine kept clogging . I
tried white grease, silicone, soap in the past. Not to good. Any
suggestions?

I bought a 32 yr old Bolens this summer. There was a little rust in
the chute so I sandblasted it out with a $10 HF gravity feed blaster
and some play sand. Then I mixed up some fiberglass & laid a
little in the chute. Followed up with a couple coats until all the
texture in the cloth was gone.

We haven't had enough snow to really abuse it this winter, but I
managed a few hours of blowing, and the fiberglass is secure & doesn't
hold any snow.

Then I made the impeller improvement that Clarence sells for $30-
Here's the address and some reviews;
http://www.abbysguide.com/ope/reviews/355-0-1.html
The video is here-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOmS6ZaCPuE
and a still, here;
http://www.opeonthenet.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5673
[there's a new chute here, too-- but that's a 4horse tossing snow
higher than the rooftops]

$30 seems like a fair price, but I had all the parts lying within
reach and wanted to recycle the rubbers off an old Toro single stage
that just got a new pair.

This 7hp, 26inch blower now throws soupy slush all of 10 feet, and dry
powder shoots out like the commercials for new Toros.

The only downside I can see with the impeller kit is that it probably
strains the belt a little bit more.

Also, the way I put mine in, until they wear down a bit, they keep the
impeller from turning in reverse to remove a stick or stone. I
picked up a split 1x3 a foot long which made it to the impeller & I
needed to use a six foot bar to relieve the tension enough to pull it
back out.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Frank" wrote:

Just had our first 15" snow out here in years. Used my trusty M Wards 30 yr
old 2 stage to clear 100' drive .All was OK except machine kept clogging . I
tried white grease, silicone, soap in the past. Not to good. Any
suggestions?

Just remembered- Before doing *anything* else, be sure your belt is
in good condition and that it is properly adjusted.

It might just be a replaceable spring and idler pulley on that one-
That was common on Bolens, Ariens & some others of that vintage.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 1, 12:05*pm, "Blattus Slafaly £ ¥ 0/00 "
wrote:
Frank wrote:
Just had our first 15" snow out here in years. Used my trusty M Wards 30 yr
old 2 stage to clear 100' drive .All was OK except machine kept clogging . I
tried white grease, silicone, soap in the past. Not to good. Any
suggestions?
* * * * * * * * Frank

Open the throttle wide open to fling the snow out of it.

--
Blattus Slafaly *? 3 * * *7/8

Don't know about you but I am ready for some of that GLOBAL WARMING.
I have had enough winter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Frank wrote:

Just had our first 15" snow out here in years. Used my trusty M Wards 30 yr
old 2 stage to clear 100' drive .All was OK except machine kept clogging . I
tried white grease, silicone, soap in the past. Not to good. Any
suggestions?
Frank

Open the throttle wide open to fling the snow out of it.

--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 7/8

Don't know about you but I am ready for some of that GLOBAL WARMING.
I have had enough winter.

Speak to Al Gore. He thinks he knows where it is. I Have so much snow
outside that I'm convinced that Gore is either a purveyor of lies or a
Washington politician.

Boden

Posted to alt.home.repair

Well I don't have a lot of snow but in my part of Canukistan the last week
has really been brutal. Wiithout expagerating my deep freeze has been
warmer that outside temps and when the windchill if factored in, Mars
doesn't look too bad!

O/T: Snow Lew Hodgett Woodworking 2 December 22nd 07 03:31 AM
snow, and the sound of snow dougreed Electronics Repair 4 August 9th 06 02:42 AM
OT - Snow Cliff Metalworking 14 December 23rd 05 04:45 PM
"Snow" on TV during use Tim R. Electronics Repair 9 December 29th 04 09:54 PM
WAY OT - HOW TO MAKE SNOW AND BUILD A HOMEMADE SNOW GUN J T Woodworking 0 August 6th 04 06:41 AM