Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Door Threshold Problem

Any ideas on filling the gap between door and threshold? I replaced
storm door but threshold is not deep enough to meet bottom of new
door. I tried replacing threshold with a deeper one, but old one is
too tough to get out. I want to close the gap on interior side of the
door with some sort of sweep or weatherstrip extrusion. Gap is almost
1". Anybody know where I can buy something to help fix this?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

On Jan 29, 8:48*pm, wrote:
Any ideas on filling the gap between door and threshold? I replaced
storm door but threshold is not deep enough to meet bottom of new
door. I tried replacing threshold with a deeper one, but old one is
too tough to get out. I want to close the gap on interior side of the
door with some sort of sweep or weatherstrip extrusion. Gap is almost
1". Anybody know where I can buy something to help fix this?

If the gap is 1", I think that you need a new door.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pat wrote:
On Jan 29, 8:48 pm, wrote:
Any ideas on filling the gap between door and threshold? I replaced
storm door but threshold is not deep enough to meet bottom of new
door. I tried replacing threshold with a deeper one, but old one is
too tough to get out. I want to close the gap on interior side of the
door with some sort of sweep or weatherstrip extrusion. Gap is almost
1". Anybody know where I can buy something to help fix this?

If the gap is 1", I think that you need a new door.

I am assuming this is a metal door? Did the vertical rails of the frame
provided with the new storm door go down further than the door? Most
storm doors I have messed with, the bottom of the door is a 'U' channel,
and can be moved up and down a surprising distance. It's worth a second
look in daylight.

If the door doesn't have an adjustable bottom rail, take good
measurements, and go to local metal supply house (not the big-box) and
see if they have any channel that would be a tight slip-fit. A window
company that does sunrooms and store fronts would be another place to
try- they often need to field-fabricate fillers to make the prefab
panels fit older buildings.

aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

justme2 had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...em-284916-.htm
:

Did you ever find a solution? Just had a storm door installed and am
having the same problem.
-------------------------------------
wrote:

Any ideas on filling the gap between door and threshold? I replaced
storm door but threshold is not deep enough to meet bottom of new
door. I tried replacing threshold with a deeper one, but old one is
too tough to get out. I want to close the gap on interior side of the
door with some sort of sweep or weatherstrip extrusion. Gap is almost
1". Anybody know where I can buy something to help fix this?

Delivered via
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Any ideas on filling the gap between door and threshold? I replaced
storm door but threshold is not deep enough to meet bottom of new
door. I tried replacing threshold with a deeper one, but old one is
too tough to get out. I want to close the gap on interior side of the
door with some sort of sweep or weatherstrip extrusion. Gap is almost
1". Anybody know where I can buy something to help fix this?

Delivered via
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/

Look closely at the new storm door. All the ones I have ever installed,
there was a 'U' channel over the bottom rail that could be slid up and
down to adjust the length of the door. Sometimes it wasn't very obvious.
Not saying all doors have this feature, but the cheap ones I have dealt
with all did. Storm door is not supposed to seal tightly at the bottom,
to avoid moisture buildup, and to make the door easy to close. An inch
is way too much, but you should be able to slide a piece of paper under it.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

justme2 had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...em-351076-.htm
:

The gap isn't in the height between the threshold and the storm door, but
the depth between the threshold and the storm door. It's like we need the
threshold to be extended outwards another inch.
-------------------------------------

wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 1, 8:17*pm, (justme2)
wrote:

The gap isn't in the height between the threshold and the storm door, but
the depth between the threshold and the storm door. *It's like we need the
threshold to be extended outwards another inch.
-------------------------------------

snip

"It's like we need the threshold to be extended outwards another
inch.

From where I'm typing I can't see how your threshold is constructed/
installed, but perhaps you could rip a piece of wood and tack it to
the front of the existing threshold (or riser below) the threshold to
fill the gap.

How did this happen anyway? Did the old storm door fit correctly? If
so why doesn't the new one?
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jan 1, 8:17 pm, (justme2)
wrote:
The gap isn't in the height between the threshold and the storm door, but
the depth between the threshold and the storm door. It's like we need the
threshold to be extended outwards another inch.
-------------------------------------

snip

"It's like we need the threshold to be extended outwards another
inch.

From where I'm typing I can't see how your threshold is constructed/
installed, but perhaps you could rip a piece of wood and tack it to
the front of the existing threshold (or riser below) the threshold to
fill the gap.

How did this happen anyway? Did the old storm door fit correctly? If
so why doesn't the new one?

A hunk of aluminum channel or even marble, would be a better bet. Even
well-finished wood doesn't last worth a damn as the leading edge of an
outside threshold. Long screws and/or construction adhesive to pin it
into place. Make sure to not leave any dips or holes that collect water,
or channel it under the existing threshold into the floor system. I've
seen more than one rotted-out rim joist and sill plate under a front
door from bad flashing and water-sealing.

--
aem sends...

closing cavity under door threshold sm_jamieson UK diy 1 December 6th 07 06:06 PM
Repair of door threshold Kate Home Repair 8 October 11th 07 06:04 PM
Door Threshold thickness ? [email protected] UK diy 0 May 29th 07 06:34 PM
front door threshold Arthur UK diy 3 March 29th 07 11:49 PM
patio door threshold issue Gary Roan Home Repair 1 February 15th 05 05:53 PM