Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Repair of door threshold

I hope I am explaining this properly.

My front door has a metal plate installed underneath the door, that is
mounted to the floor. I call it the threshold, and I hope that is the
proper term for it. Anyway, last year I mixed some powdered concrete
mix, and pushed it in underneath the threshold.

Now the cement is cracking, and I removed it in hopes of putting
something else besides concrete underneath the threshold plate. This is
the plate everyone walks on when entering my home.

Does anyone have some ideas for me?

Many thanks.

Kate

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 9, 12:40 am, Kate wrote:
I hope I am explaining this properly.

My front door has a metal plate installed underneath the door, that is
mounted to the floor. I call it the threshold, and I hope that is the
proper term for it. Anyway, last year I mixed some powdered concrete
mix, and pushed it in underneath the threshold.

What were you trying to accomplish? Was the old one loose,
flexing...?

Now the cement is cracking, and I removed it in hopes of putting
something else besides concrete underneath the threshold plate. This is
the plate everyone walks on when entering my home.

The concrete shouldn't have cracked if it was mixed and placed
properly. Is it possible you're talking about mortar mix or just
plain cement? Mortar mix is cement plus sand and concrete has cement
and fine and coarse aggregate (sand and rocks/pebbles). Cement has
one ingredient: cement - no sand and no aggregate. If you used
straight cement it's no surprised it cracked. The aggregate is what
gives concrete its strength.

Let's analyze what you did before offering up a solution. How big is
the space you're trying to fill? It sounds like you didn't remove the
threshold before placing the mix - any reason why?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:
I hope I am explaining this properly.

My front door has a metal plate installed underneath the door, that is
mounted to the floor. I call it the threshold, and I hope that is the
proper term for it. Anyway, last year I mixed some powdered concrete
mix, and pushed it in underneath the threshold.

Now the cement is cracking, and I removed it in hopes of putting
something else besides concrete underneath the threshold plate. This is
the plate everyone walks on when entering my home.

Does anyone have some ideas for me?

Many thanks.

Kate

First, are you trying to secure the threshold with the concrete, or
just fill in the gap?

If you are trying to secure the threshold, that method is not very
good. I have found that drilling a hole into the concrete floor (if
that is the situation) with a masonry bit and filling that hole with
wooden dowel rod is the best way. Cut off the dowel rod flush with the
floor and drill a hole for the screws used to secure the threshold into
it. The dowel rod will expand outward once the screws are installed
holding down the threshold.

If your problem is filling a gap and not one of securing the threshold,
I found cutting wood the size of the threshold to fill the gap is very
effective. Plywood comes in various sizes and often solves the problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I really need detailed pics of the situation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RicodJour wrote:

On Oct 9, 12:40 am, Kate wrote:

[...]

About a year ago, I replaced the concrete underneath the door threshold
as it was cracking, and every time I swept around the front door, I
would get more pieces of loose concrete.

I think you hit the nail on the head. I used concrete, not mortar mix.
The area is the length of the door, and very thin underneath the threshold.

From what I can see, the threshold cannot be removed unless I remove
the door frame. I personally don't know how to do that, but I can get
someone to do it for me.

Thanks.

Kate

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ken wrote:

Kate wrote:

[...]

Yes, I just want to fill the gap. The wood idea is excellent. If done
right, I should never have to deal with it again, or at least years down
the road.

Many, many thanks.

Kate

Posted to alt.home.repair

For a quick fix, try "Quikrete No. 8640, Gray Concrete Seal" which could
fill gaps up to 1/2" thick and has some give so it shouldn't crack.

Posted to alt.home.repair

** Frank ** wrote:

For a quick fix, try "Quikrete No. 8640, Gray Concrete Seal" which could
fill gaps up to 1/2" thick and has some give so it shouldn't crack.

Thank you so much Frank. Someone today told me I could also use Pig
Putty. I have never heard of it.

Kate

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kate" wrote in message ...
** Frank ** wrote:

For a quick fix, try "Quikrete No. 8640, Gray Concrete Seal" which could
fill gaps up to 1/2" thick and has some give so it shouldn't crack.

Thank you so much Frank. Someone today told me I could also use Pig Putty. I have never heard of it.

Kate

Me either and this is the info: http://www.newpig.com.au/ProdDetails...rodCode=PTY201

Whatever you use, be sure the threshold don't flex under weight and seal tight against water intrusion to prevent termites and dry rot.

Door Threshold thickness ? [email protected] UK diy 0 May 29th 07 07:34 PM
front door threshold Arthur UK diy 3 March 30th 07 12:49 AM
Threshold for 45" wide door [email protected] Home Repair 10 February 1st 07 03:06 AM
Replacing Door Sill and Threshold [email protected] Home Repair 1 July 21st 06 09:09 AM
Rotten exterior door threshold Childfree Scott Home Repair 9 November 16th 04 11:10 PM