Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need Advice re Fein MultiMaster

Hello --

I want to buy my husband a Fein MultiMaster. I'm not sure which to
get -- the FMM-250 or the MSXE-636. Is there a big difference?
Which
one has the most comprehensive starter kit? I don't care about the
price, mainly I want the best starter package. I want him to be able
to use it right away without having to get more attachments or
whatever. He mostly does projects around the house, repairs,
remodeling, etc., some (but not as much) woodworking or crafts.

Thanks
cara1158

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 11:03:22 -0800 (PST), cara1158
wrote:

Hello --

I want to buy my husband a Fein MultiMaster. I'm not sure which to
get -- the FMM-250 or the MSXE-636. Is there a big difference?
Which
one has the most comprehensive starter kit? I don't care about the
price, mainly I want the best starter package. I want him to be able
to use it right away without having to get more attachments or
whatever. He mostly does projects around the house, repairs,
remodeling, etc., some (but not as much) woodworking or crafts.

Thanks
cara1158

I'm not familiar with the msze-636, but the FMM-250 comes in several
kits, start, select, top and top-plus (or something like that)

The top plus includes a fein shop vac, which is very nice, but very
pricey.

The top kit includes enough accessories to be very useful out of the
box for a wide variety of applications. If he's any kind of tool
hound, he'll be very happy with it.

(If I give you my wife's email address, will you send her some
suggestions; I like your ideas :-) )

HTH,

Paul F.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Nov 26, 1:03 pm, cara1158 wrote:
Hello --

I want to buy my husband a Fein MultiMaster. I'm not sure which to
get -- the FMM-250 or the MSXE-636. Is there a big difference?
Which
one has the most comprehensive starter kit? I don't care about the
price, mainly I want the best starter package. I want him to be able
to use it right away without having to get more attachments or
whatever. He mostly does projects around the house, repairs,
remodeling, etc., some (but not as much) woodworking or crafts.

Thanks
cara1158

Looks to me like a high priced Dremel, more of a craft tool than
serious home repair or remodel. I'd bet he'd get more use out of a air
compressor/ nail gun kit at the same price. Or a SawzAll. My nickel's
worth...

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:

-snip-
Looks to me like a high priced Dremel, more of a craft tool than
serious home repair or remodel. I'd bet he'd get more use out of a air
compressor/ nail gun kit at the same price. Or a SawzAll. My nickel's

I thought it was just me. I've been a serious handyman for 35yrs
or so, and I thought the Fein series looked like another gimmicky
tool that goes in a drawer, and one by one you buy the tool that does
each individual job better.

I bought my first compressor last summer. . . . and have proved the
oft repeated phrase of 'once you have one you'll wonder how you ever
lived without it'. In 5 months I've nailed, painted, sandblasted,
ground, cut, cleaned or inflated with it at least a couple times a
week.

With the money you're spending on that Fein set you could get nice air
setup.[I bought a cheap $100 Harbor Freight compressor, and though it
does most jobs well enough, I'm looking at a 'real' compressor in the
future.]

OTOH- if he asked for the Fein, he probably has some ideas for it- so
get him the one he wants.g

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 28, 8:38 am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
Joe wrote:

-snip-

[...]

Joe and Jim

He's already got an air compressor and nail gun. Pretty much any tool
he wants, he has.
I just thought the Fein might be a nice-to-have handy thing.

Thanks to all you guys for your advice.
[And Paul, send me your wife's email and your 'wish list' and I'll
write to her. ;-) ]

cara1158

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Nov 29, 9:15 am, cara1158 wrote:
On Nov 28, 8:38 am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Joe wrote:

-snip-

[...]

snip

cara1158

Bet he doesn't have an impact driver. If not, have a look at Consumer
Reports for ratings on this new kind of tool. They are pricey, but for
driving screws for decks, whatever, the fasteners just seem to melt
into the wood. They are very compact and amazingly powerful. Useful in
places where you can't begin to lug a big old framing nailer or swing
a hammer. The lithium ion batteries are fabulous, too. Got mine last
summer and use it constantly on an ongoing rehab project. Get any of
the 18 V models for best performance, avoid the bargain bin specials.
And Merry Christmas to all.

Joe

Need Advice re Fein MultiMaster cara1158 Woodworking 7 December 7th 07 02:17 PM
fein multimaster Renata Woodworking 14 September 21st 06 08:06 PM
Re fein multimaster srazor Woodworking 0 September 14th 06 04:15 PM
Re My Fein MultiMaster impression. srazor Woodworking 1 March 26th 06 10:00 PM
Fein Multimaster [email protected] UK diy 34 November 4th 05 04:34 AM