Posted to rec.woodworking

Default fein multimaster

How useful do you folks find this little tool?

Renata
Posted to rec.woodworking

Renata wrote in
news
How useful do you folks find this little tool?

Renata

Just used it yesterday to patch a section of rotted windowsill. It is
fantastic! It does plunge cuts accurately like butter. Smooth, accurate,
and safe as a saw. It is great as a detail sander, much better than the PC
Detail Sander which is a POS (and I don't mean portable occilating sander).
Hard to justify the expense for the Fein, but I got lucky and got mine
used. The blades and accessories are also very expensive, but when you need
it, there's nothing like it.

Jerry
Posted to rec.woodworking

Hello Renata,
I am very happy with mine. I have used it to help finish out my home
addition, build a deck, and recently to trim a T&G wall at the bottom
to allow space for underlaymant and tile. I have used it for sanding
in tight spoaces but this has not been its most useful operation. (I
prefer a sander like the Festool products for that.) I have not used
it for "fine woodworking", but mostly for home construction and
improvement. Cutting trim to size right at its application point is
very time efficient and the sawdust produced by some of the fine
blades is negligible.

I thought the Fein was expensive but I was very impressed with what it
could do in the store and now that I have it I don't think I could
build anything without relying on it. Many of its uses can be
accomplished with other tools but the Fein makes those operations
easier. Cost of accessories such as blades can be scary but once
they're bought and you use them you "forget" how much you spent and
just have a happy time making it do what you want it to.

(I am not stating this to brag but I have a lot of various hand power
tools and the two items that my wife is impressed with are the Fein
Multimaster and the Festool sander.
She could care less about the jig saw, routers, circular saw, etc.)

Marc

Renata wrote:
How useful do you folks find this little tool?

Renata

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have had one for a couple of years.....it did a great job of removing
grout with the diamond blade....and not as much dust since the blade
vibrates instead of rotating. Also used it for some sanding in tight
areas....did a great job for that. It's a bit expensive, but you get what
you pay for. I'm happy with mine, and am glad I bought it.

Mark

Posted to rec.woodworking

Very cool tool.
Very pricey tool.
Very expensive blades.

Can do certain things no other tool could handle.

The cutting blades are really amazing and the
scraper is worth the price of the tool.

The detail sander is a slow but VERY accurate device.

You need to see a full blown demo to really
appreciate this tool. Catch a demo at a woodworking
show.

Renata wrote:

How useful do you folks find this little tool?

Renata

Posted to rec.woodworking

Renata wrote:
How useful do you folks find this little tool?

Renata

Now that I own one, I have no idea how I lived without it.
Okay, a bit of an over-dramatization.
It is a wonderful tool and you will find many uses for it.
I do suggest you buy the 'TOP' kit. It is very good value.

Oh... and the saw-blades can be sharpened with a Dremel cut-off wheel.
(Again, thanks to the Wrecker who suggested that in the first place)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Renata" wrote in message
news
How useful do you folks find this little tool?

This question comes up every couple months. Everyone loves it; except me.
I conceed that it does some things better than any other tool and I am
really glad to have it then; but I only use it a few times a year.
If I had paid full price it would have been too much. Maybe if the
accessories were better priced...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Renata wrote in
news
How useful do you folks find this little tool?

Renata

Very! I only get mine out a few times a year (I'm a hobby guy), but when I
need it, it does its job beautifully.

It's no more expensive than another nice handplane would be, and I have too
many of them already.

How's that kitchen project coming along? There's one or two in my near
future...

Patriarch
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Renata" wrote in message
news
How useful do you folks find this little tool?

Renata

I specifically bought mine for plunge cutting into exterior wood trim that
has rotted and needs to be replaced. I don't want to replace entire 12'
boards when the rest of the board is fine.

In addition, the scraper that comes in the kit works great for removing
dried glue squeeze out and using the segmented saw blade I was able to cut
out a larger opening through 1/4" thick hard board in the back of an
entertainment system with out removing the equipment. Very little dust.
The sander worked on a couple of small projects quite well with me holding
the project.

Hopefully I will be able to use the tool soon for the reason that I bought
it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Renata wrote:
How useful do you folks find this little tool?

Renata

Sounds like my old cast saw, and costs about the same. I use mine, but
seldom.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

A pessimist is a person who mourns the
future.

Posted to rec.woodworking

A pessimist is a person who mourns the
future.

I hadn't heard that one before.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 19:49:12 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

"Renata" wrote in message
news
How useful do you folks find this little tool?

Renata

I specifically bought mine for plunge cutting into exterior wood trim that
has rotted and needs to be replaced. I don't want to replace entire 12'
boards when the rest of the board is fine.

In addition, the scraper that comes in the kit works great for removing
dried glue squeeze out and using the segmented saw blade I was able to cut
out a larger opening through 1/4" thick hard board in the back of an
entertainment system with out removing the equipment.

Another use Ihadn't thought of and therefore, one more justification!

Actually, I saw a demo on tv and it seemed right handy to cut the
bottom of door trim when one needs to insert flooring material (that's
higher than the original floor).

Thanx
Renata

Very little dust.
The sander worked on a couple of small projects quite well with me holding
the project.

Hopefully I will be able to use the tool soon for the reason that I bought
it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 13:44:12 -0500, Patriarch
wrote:

Renata wrote in
news
How useful do you folks find this little tool?

Renata

Very! I only get mine out a few times a year (I'm a hobby guy), but when I
need it, it does its job beautifully.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. The top kit is just over $300.
I've been a good "girl", with regard to spending, so I'll probably
splurge. It does seem REAL handy for a number of projects. But,
they're coming out with a modification so I think I"m gonna wait a bit
to make sure I get the updated model.

It's no more expensive than another nice handplane would be, and I have too
many of them already.

How's that kitchen project coming along? There's one or two in my near
future...

Why, thanx for asking.
Well, just as I had everything set to start cutting wood, I actually
made a couple meals and decided I should re-examine the layout. It's
galley style and the question du jour is - sink and stove across from
each other, or beside each other.
So, now I have 2 plans I've come up with and am trying to decide which
one would work better. There's always compromises (in an existing
space) and I just gotta weigh 'em and pick a layout.

Anyway, I hope by the end of this weekend, I've got everything set
(the plans and the workshop sapce "tidied" better) so I can start on
the cabinets.

Renata

Patriarch

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Renata" wrote in message

Another use Ihadn't thought of and therefore, one more justification!

Actually, I saw a demo on tv and it seemed right handy to cut the
bottom of door trim when one needs to insert flooring material (that's
higher than the original floor).

Yeah, I wish I had owned the tool when I added a new floor in my bathroom.

You mentioned that you might wait until the new model comes out. I called
Fein and talked to them about that about 5-6 weeks ago. The rep indicated
that there was no planed release date yet and that I might wait a long time.
Either way the new model will include an indexing pin to keep the blades
from pivoting while in use. If you tighten the blades tight enough and use
them correctly there should be no problem.
The rep told me to remember to use the tool like you would use a knife
cutting fresh baked bread. If you simply push down on the bread with the
knife the bread will collapse. You should always use a slight to moderate
back and forth motion to help the debris clear out of the blade teeth. With
this technique you don't have to push so hard causing the blade changes
position. Either way IIRC there is a retro kit to make the current models
work like the new models with respect to the indexing pin. IIRC it's about
$10. The rep did not recommend it unless I started to actually have a
problem.