Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pine trees

I just had a large pine cut down because it was struck by lightning.
The guy that took it down said that he has to pay to dump the pine
because no one will take the pine wood.

I would think you could take it to a paper plant. Anyone know for
sure?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Terry" wrote in message
I just had a large pine cut down because it was struck by lightning.
The guy that took it down said that he has to pay to dump the pine
because no one will take the pine wood.

I would think you could take it to a paper plant. Anyone know for
sure?

Yes, the guys at the paper plant will know. Why not give them a call?

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Terry" wrote in message
I just had a large pine cut down because it was struck by lightning.
The guy that took it down said that he has to pay to dump the pine
because no one will take the pine wood.

I would think you could take it to a paper plant. Anyone know for
sure?

Yes, the guys at the paper plant will know. Why not give them a call?

At best they _might_ take it off your hands if you brought it to them --
no way are they going to pay or pick it up (assuming there is a mill
close by anyway)...

The trimmer is probably correct if it is any place that has any trees at
all that is is simply waste.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Terry wrote:
I just had a large pine cut down because it was struck by lightning.
The guy that took it down said that he has to pay to dump the pine
because no one will take the pine wood.

I would think you could take it to a paper plant. Anyone know for
sure?

The moron who lives on the other end of my block who put a woodburner in
his garage will take it. We wondered what the stinky acrid smell was in
the winter and spotted the smoke slowly coming out of the chimney and I
walked by and there was a pile of pine piled up next to the garage.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 15:08:34 -0400, George
wrote:

Terry wrote:
I just had a large pine cut down because it was struck by lightning.
The guy that took it down said that he has to pay to dump the pine
because no one will take the pine wood.

I would think you could take it to a paper plant. Anyone know for
sure?

The moron who lives on the other end of my block who put a woodburner in
his garage will take it. We wondered what the stinky acrid smell was in
the winter and spotted the smoke slowly coming out of the chimney and I
walked by and there was a pile of pine piled up next to the garage.

Is it just pine that must be paid for, I'd be calling the landfill to
find out for sure.
Here, all tress are free to dump, it all becomes mulch for the City to
use.
Or call another arbourist, they would also know.

Must be some kind of recycling center near you, that would take it for
mulch.

samurai.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
samurai sammer003 @ yahoo.ca.spam wrote:

Must be some kind of recycling center near you, that would take it for
mulch.

samurai.

I'd just wait until after Christmas when many parks departments take
trees for recycling. Tell them I had this REALLY high cathedral ceiling.
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.cnd-industry.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

Terry wrote:
I just had a large pine cut down because it was struck by lightning.
The guy that took it down said that he has to pay to dump the pine
because no one will take the pine wood.

I would think you could take it to a paper plant. Anyone know for
sure?

Here in the city of Chicago I just call 311 and ask for a
"Forestry pick-up" and the city sends out one of its big blue
trucks with da mare's name painted on the side and the chipper in
tow and takes care of everything!

--jack
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Terry" wrote in message
I just had a large pine cut down because it was struck by lightning.
The guy that took it down said that he has to pay to dump the pine
because no one will take the pine wood.

I would think you could take it to a paper plant. Anyone know for
sure?

A lot of mills will not accept "back yard" trees because of the danger of
embedded nails, etc.
Their saws are too expensive to take a chance.

Find somebody with a fireplace who is willing to cut it up an drag it home.

Charlie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 26, 7:15 pm, "Charlie Bress" wrote:
"Terry" wrote in message

I just had a large pine cut down because it was struck by lightning.
The guy that took it down said that he has to pay to dump the pine
because no one will take the pine wood.

I would think you could take it to a paper plant. Anyone know for
sure?

A lot of mills will not accept "back yard" trees because of the danger of
embedded nails, etc.
Their saws are too expensive to take a chance.

Find somebody with a fireplace who is willing to cut it up an drag it home.

Charlie

Wish I was close I'd take it for my wood stove!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Terry" wrote in message
I just had a large pine cut down because it was struck by lightning.
The guy that took it down said that he has to pay to dump the pine
because no one will take the pine wood.

I would think you could take it to a paper plant. Anyone know for
sure?

Best solution -- have trees trimmed or removed by a company that has a
chipper, have them chip up the material as it is cut down, then have them
leave it behind for you to use as mulch.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 26, 12:08 pm, George wrote:
Terry wrote:
I just had a large pine cut down because it was struck by lightning.
The guy that took it down said that he has to pay to dump the pine
because no one will take the pine wood.

I would think you could take it to a paper plant. Anyone know for
sure?

The moron who lives on the other end of my block who put a woodburner in
his garage will take it. We wondered what the stinky acrid smell was in
the winter and spotted the smoke slowly coming out of the chimney and I
walked by and there was a pile of pine piled up next to the garage.

The smell was due to burning a cool, choked down fire, not from the
wood. Pine that is burned as a stove should be burned has a pleasant
smell as does almost all wood. There are a few that would make a skunk
proud.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 26, 3:44 pm, terry wrote:
On Oct 26, 7:15 pm, "Charlie Bress" wrote:

"Terry" wrote in message

.. .

I just had a large pine cut down because it was struck by lightning.
The guy that took it down said that he has to pay to dump the pine
because no one will take the pine wood.

I would think you could take it to a paper plant. Anyone know for
sure?

A lot of mills will not accept "back yard" trees because of the danger of
embedded nails, etc.
Their saws are too expensive to take a chance.

Find somebody with a fireplace who is willing to cut it up an drag it home.

Charlie

Wish I was close I'd take it for my wood stove!!!!!- Hide quoted text -

Amazing. A whole thread about pine and not one person (I was going to
say idiot but want to stay polite) didn't make the mandatory "don't
burn pine, you'll burn your house down" post. We have all seen them,
the posters who have never heated with _any_ wood and never knew
anyone who had.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On Oct 26, 12:52 pm, Terry wrote:
I just had a large pine cut down because it was struck by lightning.
The guy that took it down said that he has to pay to dump the pine
because no one will take the pine wood.

I would think you could take it to a paper plant. Anyone know for
sure?

Most plants won't accept trees from residential yards because of the
high likelyhood they have nails, bolts, wire, etc. embedded in them.
However landfills usually will take anything. I'd guess your tree
cutter just doesn't want to take the time or expense to haul it off.

Red

Posted to alt.home.repair

Terry wrote in
:

I just had a large pine cut down because it was struck by lightning.
The guy that took it down said that he has to pay to dump the pine
because no one will take the pine wood.

I would think you could take it to a paper plant. Anyone know for
sure?

how far away is the nearest paper plant?
Maybe it would cost more to take it there than to a dump,even with dump
charges.

You should have had it ground to mulch,used it around the house.
Mybe if it were a LARGE tree trunk,a mill would take it for lumber,or maybe
a hobby woodworker.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair

Terry wrote:
I just had a large pine cut down because it was struck by lightning.
The guy that took it down said that he has to pay to dump the pine
because no one will take the pine wood.

I would think you could take it to a paper plant. Anyone know for
sure?

The moron who lives on the other end of my block who put a woodburner in
his garage will take it. We wondered what the stinky acrid smell was in
the winter and spotted the smoke slowly coming out of the chimney and I
walked by and there was a pile of pine piled up next to the garage.

The smell was due to burning a cool, choked down fire, not from the
wood. Pine that is burned as a stove should be burned has a pleasant
smell as does almost all wood. There are a few that would make a skunk
proud.

Harry K

My parents had a lot of fires in the fireplace, and much of the wood
around here is pine. We had really a lot of pine trees around the
house.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy
Posted to alt.home.repair

Best friend has wood stove, after a nasty chimney fire he quit burning
pine completely.

Around here you put pine at curb with free add in pennysaver, free
firewood for camp.

It always disappears

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 13:33:08 -0700, "
wrote:

Best friend has wood stove, after a nasty chimney fire he quit burning
pine completely.

South Florida was dependant on pine wood (fire wood). A Loblolly Pine
has a deep tap root and was harvested from forests for turpentine.

The root is prized for kindling, at least back in the fifties.

We called it a lighter knot.. Expect this pine sap to burn hot.

Around here you put pine at curb with free add in pennysaver, free
firewood for camp.

It always disappears

--
Oren

"I wouldn't even be here if my support group hadn't beaten me up."
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Best friend has wood stove, after a nasty chimney fire he quit burning
pine completely.

South Florida was dependant on pine wood (fire wood). A Loblolly Pine
has a deep tap root and was harvested from forests for turpentine.

My father told me about those deep roots, and most people in town seem
to not believe it.

The root is prized for kindling, at least back in the fifties.

My father used it that way. He had a certain complicated way of
starting a wood fire, that involved building a log cabin-like
structure out of pine pieces.

We called it a lighter knot.. Expect this pine sap to burn hot.

Around here you put pine at curb with free add in pennysaver, free
firewood for camp.

It always disappears

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Best friend has wood stove, after a nasty chimney fire he quit burning
pine completely.

South Florida was dependant on pine wood (fire wood). A Loblolly Pine
has a deep tap root and was harvested from forests for turpentine.

The root is prized for kindling, at least back in the fifties.

We called it a lighter knot.. Expect this pine sap to burn hot.

Around here you put pine at curb with free add in pennysaver, free
firewood for camp.

It always disappears

--
Oren

"I wouldn't even be here if my support group hadn't beaten me up."

Learned something. Somehow I thought Florida would be full of
hardwoods. In many parts of the states (here also), pine, spruce and
the like are common firewoods with Fir and Larch (Tamarack) the
preferred woods. Hardly any hardwoods availble for sale. Any I come
across go on my private stock not the 'for sale' pile.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Harry K" wrote in message
oups.com...

[sniip]

Learned something. Somehow I thought Florida would be full of
hardwoods. In many parts of the states (here also), pine, spruce and
the like are common firewoods with Fir and Larch (Tamarack) the
preferred woods. Hardly any hardwoods availble for sale. Any I come
across go on my private stock not the 'for sale' pile.

Harry K

Not counting palm trees, in this area of Central Florida (Highlands County)
the primary native trees are Live Oak, Cypress and Scrub Pine, with more
than a few Red Maple, plus a decreasing number of invasive exotics, esp.
Melaleuca, Australian Pine (not really a pine) and Florida Holly (not really
a holly -- aka Brazillian pepper). The most common fireplace wood is the
propane gas jet. The most common landscape or dooryard tree is probably a
citrus -- orange or grapefruit, with magnolia and Royal Poinciana also in
the mix.

From here south, the most common tree is probably the Palmetto, with Queen
palms also in large numbers, if you want to include palms as "trees". In
Palm Beach County, by code, three palms = one "real" tree, for landscaping
approval.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On Oct 27, 4:33 pm, Oren wrote:

A Loblolly Pine has a deep tap root and was harvested from forests for turpentine.

The root is prized for kindling, at least back in the fifties. We called it a lighter knot..

Still is. I use them all the time. Great for getting a fire started.
Red cedar is also good since it contains a good bit of cedar oil.

Not all pine stumps turn into lighter. Seems like those trees cut in
the winter when the pine sap is mostly on the roots will form lighter
stumps, whereas those cut in warm weather will just rot. Lighter
stumps are harvested, placed in huge pressure cookers where the steam
forces the turpentine out, then sold as "steam turpentine".

Red

Posted to alt.home.repair

Check out http://www.FreeCycle.org .

I just learned about it a few days ago. It's pretty cool. I wish I knew
about it sooner when I had other stuff to give away -- even things like
scrap metal or pine wood.

It is a website to give away or get stuff for free and there are local
groups for most areas. Part of the idea of giving stuff away is so it will
not end up in a landfill.

If you do decide to join one of the local FreeCycle online groups, it is
sometimes easy and better to use a Yahoo email address for it. If you don't
already have one, just create a free Yahoo email account with fake name,
etc.

"Terry" wrote in message
I just had a large pine cut down because it was struck by lightning.
The guy that took it down said that he has to pay to dump the pine
because no one will take the pine wood.

I would think you could take it to a paper plant. Anyone know for
sure?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Best friend has wood stove, after a nasty chimney fire he quit burning
pine completely.

South Florida was dependant on pine wood (fire wood). A Loblolly Pine
has a deep tap root and was harvested from forests for turpentine.

The root is prized for kindling, at least back in the fifties.

We called it a lighter knot.. Expect this pine sap to burn hot.

Learned something. Somehow I thought Florida would be full of
hardwoods. In many parts of the states (here also), pine, spruce and
the like are common firewoods with Fir and Larch (Tamarack) the
preferred woods. Hardly any hardwoods availble for sale. Any I come
across go on my private stock not the 'for sale' pile.

Harry K

The highest elevation in Florida is 345' (North FL) above sea level,
iirc. In the Panhandle, the area is full of oak. Tallahassee is
beautiful with majestic oak. Central Florida is the same. The
largest loblolly pine is located in a state park (around
Gainesville?).

On the edges of the Everglades you can observe strands of pines
growing on the high ground (for what it is). Sea level.

--
Oren

"I wouldn't even be here if my support group hadn't beaten me up."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 22:22:48 -0400, "JimR" wrote:

"Harry K" wrote in message
roups.com...

[sniip]

[...]

Some spots in the Everglades have native maples. One of the few places
you can observe seasonal changes in the leaves in South Florida.

As I kid I camped in the open near Melaleuca (_paper_) trees in
pollen. That stuff got in my lungs and figured I'd die, before I got
better. They suck up to much water and should be killed off.

From here south, the most common tree is probably the Palmetto, with Queen
palms also in large numbers, if you want to include palms as "trees". In
Palm Beach County, by code, three palms = one "real" tree, for landscaping
approval.

--
Oren

"I wouldn't even be here if my support group hadn't beaten me up."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 09:14:22 -0700, Red wrote:

On Oct 27, 4:33 pm, Oren wrote:

A Loblolly Pine has a deep tap root and was harvested from forests for turpentine.

The root is prized for kindling, at least back in the fifties. We called it a lighter knot..

Still is. I use them all the time. Great for getting a fire started.

I'm jealous

Red cedar is also good since it contains a good bit of cedar oil.

Not all pine stumps turn into lighter. Seems like those trees cut in
the winter when the pine sap is mostly on the roots will form lighter
stumps, whereas those cut in warm weather will just rot. Lighter
stumps are harvested, placed in huge pressure cookers where the steam
forces the turpentine out, then sold as "steam turpentine".

Red

Any time I cut pine lumber and get a whiff of the pine sap, it reminds
me a real lighter knot. :-)

Those pine stumps will burn for days while in the ground..

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Best friend has wood stove, after a nasty chimney fire he quit burning
pine completely.

South Florida was dependant on pine wood (fire wood). A Loblolly Pine
has a deep tap root and was harvested from forests for turpentine.

My father told me about those deep roots, and most people in town seem
to not believe it.

In the South (1800's) a mule, and / or dynamite was used to get the
pine stumps out. Cleared for cotton..etc...

The root is prized for kindling, at least back in the fifties.

My father used it that way. He had a certain complicated way of
starting a wood fire, that involved building a log cabin-like
structure out of pine pieces.

We kept a kindling bucket. When we split logs we picked the best piece
to sliver up the kindling, Makes for easy fire starters.

--
Oren