Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren Oren is offline

Default Pine trees

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 18:49:08 -0700, Harry K
wrote:

On Oct 27, 2:33 pm, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 13:33:08 -0700, "

wrote:
Best friend has wood stove, after a nasty chimney fire he quit burning
pine completely.

South Florida was dependant on pine wood (fire wood). A Loblolly Pine
has a deep tap root and was harvested from forests for turpentine.

The root is prized for kindling, at least back in the fifties.

We called it a lighter knot.. Expect this pine sap to burn hot.

Learned something. Somehow I thought Florida would be full of
hardwoods. In many parts of the states (here also), pine, spruce and
the like are common firewoods with Fir and Larch (Tamarack) the
preferred woods. Hardly any hardwoods availble for sale. Any I come
across go on my private stock not the 'for sale' pile.

Harry K

The highest elevation in Florida is 345' (North FL) above sea level,
iirc. In the Panhandle, the area is full of oak. Tallahassee is
beautiful with majestic oak. Central Florida is the same. The
largest loblolly pine is located in a state park (around
Gainesville?).

On the edges of the Everglades you can observe strands of pines
growing on the high ground (for what it is). Sea level.

--
Oren

"I wouldn't even be here if my support group hadn't beaten me up."