Posted to alt.home.repair
JimR JimR is offline

Default Pine trees

"Harry K" wrote in message
oups.com...

[sniip]

Learned something. Somehow I thought Florida would be full of
hardwoods. In many parts of the states (here also), pine, spruce and
the like are common firewoods with Fir and Larch (Tamarack) the
preferred woods. Hardly any hardwoods availble for sale. Any I come
across go on my private stock not the 'for sale' pile.

Harry K

Not counting palm trees, in this area of Central Florida (Highlands County)
the primary native trees are Live Oak, Cypress and Scrub Pine, with more
than a few Red Maple, plus a decreasing number of invasive exotics, esp.
Melaleuca, Australian Pine (not really a pine) and Florida Holly (not really
a holly -- aka Brazillian pepper). The most common fireplace wood is the
propane gas jet. The most common landscape or dooryard tree is probably a
citrus -- orange or grapefruit, with magnolia and Royal Poinciana also in
the mix.

From here south, the most common tree is probably the Palmetto, with Queen
palms also in large numbers, if you want to include palms as "trees". In
Palm Beach County, by code, three palms = one "real" tree, for landscaping
approval.