Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren Oren is offline

Default Pine trees

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 20:07:11 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 14:33:06 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 13:33:08 -0700, "
wrote:

Best friend has wood stove, after a nasty chimney fire he quit burning
pine completely.

South Florida was dependant on pine wood (fire wood). A Loblolly Pine
has a deep tap root and was harvested from forests for turpentine.

My father told me about those deep roots, and most people in town seem
to not believe it.

In the South (1800's) a mule, and / or dynamite was used to get the
pine stumps out. Cleared for cotton..etc...

The root is prized for kindling, at least back in the fifties.

My father used it that way. He had a certain complicated way of
starting a wood fire, that involved building a log cabin-like
structure out of pine pieces.

We kept a kindling bucket. When we split logs we picked the best piece
to sliver up the kindling, Makes for easy fire starters.

--
Oren