Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren Oren is offline

Default Pine trees

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 09:14:22 -0700, Red wrote:

On Oct 27, 4:33 pm, Oren wrote:

A Loblolly Pine has a deep tap root and was harvested from forests for turpentine.

The root is prized for kindling, at least back in the fifties. We called it a lighter knot..

Still is. I use them all the time. Great for getting a fire started.

I'm jealous

Red cedar is also good since it contains a good bit of cedar oil.

Not all pine stumps turn into lighter. Seems like those trees cut in
the winter when the pine sap is mostly on the roots will form lighter
stumps, whereas those cut in warm weather will just rot. Lighter
stumps are harvested, placed in huge pressure cookers where the steam
forces the turpentine out, then sold as "steam turpentine".

Red

Any time I cut pine lumber and get a whiff of the pine sap, it reminds
me a real lighter knot. :-)

Those pine stumps will burn for days while in the ground..

--
Oren